Quinster

Vintage Addiction

I built my first kit about 2 years ago, I had  always wanted a Lunchbox as a kid.  Then lockdown started and I thought it would be good to build another kit.  I built a Midnight Pumpkin.  Enjoyed that so much I built a Monster Beetle to try another type of build. Now I’ve just  gone and bought another... I was meant to save my commute money but I’m properly addicted now.  Not sure what the next will be... I’m just going proper nuts, can’t get enough. Any recommendations to follow the list so far?

53CBB0FD-5EA1-44A1-B4CD-C403ADA1810D.jpeg

• Like 1

You seem to like monster trucks so I would recommend a Konghead. It's a ton of fun to drive and a different chassis than what you have built so far.

• Like 1

Not a monster truck but you can try Buggy Champ\ Sand Scorcher if they're still around. I had fun building them and they look realistic.

• Like 1

I hate to break it to you, but that Blackfoot is going to be basically a repeat of your Monster Beetle build... but now you have one to keep stock and one to modify. :)

Let's see if we can narrow this down a bit... do you like the complexity of the build? If so, then maybe go 4WD next time. A Hotshot/Bigwig/Boomerang would be a good choice, as would the newly re-re'd Terra Scorcher. Or a Top Force; they're a bit more modern design, but less plastic-y.

Want 4WD but want to stick to monster trucks with hard bodies? Clod Buster is your friend.

Want to try painting and detailing a body with lots of little parts? Go for a WIld Willy 2.

Looking to see what other manufacturers are like, and/or want to try playing with metal parts? I would suggest a Kyosho Scorpion or Tomahawk.

Want a real challenge? Then go eBay-diving for a real vintage model to restore, instead of a re-re to build. It takes longer, because you often have to track down parts, but to me it's more satisfying than just assembling something out of a box.

Welcome to the madness...

• Like 2

Nice ideas guys.  Saw the Kinghead and that looked mad and appealing.  I know this will be the same build this one but I was desperate to add to the collection. Sand scorcher was a contender but they are really pricey - that could be a Christmas choice. Clod Buster had me twitching too.  There’s a few above that I haven’t heard of so I’m away to look them up.  I was interested in real vintage but I’m not experienced enough to know what I’m buying - will definitely do that in the future.

Cheers guys.

1 hour ago, Quinster said:

Nice ideas guys.  Saw the Kinghead and that looked mad and appealing.  I know this will be the same build this one but I was desperate to add to the collection. Sand scorcher was a contender but they are really pricey - that could be a Christmas choice. Clod Buster had me twitching too.  There’s a few above that I haven’t heard of so I’m away to look them up.  I was interested in real vintage but I’m not experienced enough to know what I’m buying - will definitely do that in the future.

Cheers guys.

The Konghead is high on my list too....  PREPARE to buy a LOT of Bearings!! 😲

But they're tough, fun and a bit Mad - so I've heard. You should enjoy it.

• Like 1

My vote for nostalgic build will always be an SRB, or Original Wild Willy. Sand Scorcher Re-Re are still available. Original Sand Scorchers are out there, but I built a re-re just to have everything new with some upgrades over the vintage one. But still basically the same car. I love my Re-Re SS. I also built a new and improved vintage WW but put an original body on a GF01 chassis to have an actual 4x4 Wild Willy. Love that thing now, almost as much as my original SWB WW. 

• Like 1

Has it got to be Tamiya? If not, take a look at the Kyosho ReRe's, the Legendary Series. If you fancy a crack at a buggy, maybe take a looksy at a Javelin?

• Like 1

I'd go for a Clodbuster next.  Kinda goes with the Lunchbox, Pumpkin, Monster Beetle and Blackfoot progression in terms of build complexity.  You can still use the same battery(s) you've been using before and plus it's fun to bash around in similar areas you would probably be running the aforementioned kits.

• Like 1

Not “vintage” but imo the TA03 is the next build. Lots of options, hopups, and bodies. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas,  I’ll start the BF build this weekend.  I like the idea of a clod Buster and sand scorcher.  Then I may try a buggy and then a Kyosho build.  I better start saving.

If you really want to blow this years budget (and next) then you can't go wrong getting your hands on a re re Avante or Egress. Both brilliant to build (and to look at) - not bad even to drive once in a while :)
I'm looking at some of the classic Kyosho re releases but very expensive once you factor in motor, esc, electronics etc..they seem to come pretty bare bones. Have my eye on the Optima re re as have never had a chain driven 4wd vehicle and was one of my absolute favorites when I was growing up.

• Like 1