Tamiya_Cars_4_Life

DT-03 Racing Fighter Discontinued?!

So, I was riding my beauty on tarmac with some friends, and one of them thought it would be funny if he brake checked my car, using the wheelie bar as a stunt ramp. I went up the "ramp" and my car cascaded down, hit the nose, and fell on its back, severely cracking/breaking the wing. I tried going onto the Tamiya USA website to find spare parts, and when I filtered my search to "buggies," I couldn't find it. I Googled it, and found the DT-03 Black Edition. This is what it said: DISCONTINUED. I went through the part catalog and they no longer make wings for this buggy. I am so flabbergasted. Many of my friends have this car, and it is popular worldwide. It would seem strange for Tamiya to discontinue a popular, easy to build, entry level car. Is it ACTUALLY discontinued?!

Absolutely Flabbergasted,

Max :angry:

• Sad 1

Well, speaking from the standpoint of casual bystander, the name suggests that it is an "edition" (i.e. Black Edition), so I would assume it would have a somewhat limited run compared to the standard Racing Fighter. This is the trend I've noticed with other Tamiya RC models. Is there something I'm missing?

• Like 2

Racing fighter is not discontinued, just the black edition. The body and decal included in the black edition is identical to the original version just painted gunmetal not orange.  

I wish they would sell the black chassis though separate. I hate the grey chassis. 

The wings are terribly flimsy. I recently fitted up a generic proline wing to mine.

Juls

• Like 3

Hi guys! Thanks for the replies! It's not just the Black Edition, it's all of the editions. Even the RTR.

Here is a screenshot: image.png.26e851eefa4c77a08c4a4086dc649b10.png

I'm really sad. :(

Anything to bring my hopes up?

Max :(

20 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Well, the Neo Fighter is the last one to stand. RIP Racing Fighter. You served well.

are you positive about this? i can still get parts for my dt-02 its predecessor and it is over 10 years old.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-racing-fighter-buggy-dt-03/rc-car-products/397241

they are getting more racing fighters in october, just buy a second kit for spares if you see any cheap :)

edit: i think you are worrying over nothing :)

1 hour ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

@xzenonuk, maybe. It's just the Racing Fighter model doesn't show up at all in the Tamiya USA catalog. Also, any good DT-03 wings?

I really hope I am just overreacting. :)

Cheers!

Max

Don’t think it’s very popular so I’m sure there will be kits and parts available for years to come 

dt-03 chassis should be as sorted as my dt-02 one, every one has a parts drought at the moment and not just tamiya :)

corona has really screwed up the supply chain for all rc models :)

im going easy on my new built tamiyas because i know the part chain is gimped at the moment  :)

even if tamiya usa ditch it for some reason it is alive and kicking in the uk for spares.

i was thinking of buying one and i have seen nothing to disuade me :)

• Like 1

I can't see this one being discontinued, even if a DT04 comes out then the DT03 will still be around, its a popular model being a proper buggy (unlike the TT02B which is compromised given its based on a touring car).

Look at the TT01, still sold new despite the TT02 being around for years. And DT02 is still around, although arguably its different enough to be a different car with the much shorter wheelbase, when compared to TT01/2 which are basically the same.

I wouldn't worry.

Also, @Tamiya_Cars_4_Life I would embrace a different style wing. Wings on offroad buggies are basically consumables like tyres so go for  different one that you can get on its own. I don't paint my wings, don't last long enough to warrant it. I've seen a newly cut wing last half a race before being ripped off...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I can't see this one being discontinued, even if a DT04 comes out then the DT03 will still be around, its a popular model being a proper buggy (unlike the TT02B which is compromised given its based on a touring car).

Look at the TT01, still sold new despite the TT02 being around for years. And DT02 is still around, although arguably its different enough to be a different car with the much shorter wheelbase, when compared to TT01/2 which are basically the same.

I wouldn't worry.

Also, @Tamiya_Cars_4_Life I would embrace a different style wing. Wings on offroad buggies are basically consumables like tyres so go for  different one that you can get on its own. I don't paint my wings, don't last long enough to warrant it. I've seen a newly cut wing last half a race before being ripped off...

any wing that will fit will do, i have a hpi brama wing on my thunder tiger xxb lol

about to lose my second dt-02 wing as well for my sandviper, gonna go wingless when that happens :)

• Haha 1

Thank you for the replies everyone! I’m looking for some spare parts that could be delivered to the US. Anyone have a good wing for a DT-03?

@xzenonuk, I hope that is the case because all parts/spares for the DT03 are marked as discontinued and are no longer available on the Tamiya USA website.

@rwordenjr, yes, it’s very popular. I’m extremely surprised that Tamiya would mark one of their most popular cars as “Discontinued.”

@Jonathon Gillham, I am also pretty baffled as well as the DT02 is so much older but still Tamiya isn’t marking it as discontinued. :huh:

Thanks for the replies. I am looking forward to seeing other types of evidence regarding the discontinuation of the DT03.

Cheers,

Max :)

Here's something strange. I was browsing the Tamiya catalog, looking for a new RC car, and I come across the DT-03, now marked as "Temporarily Out of Stock" instead of "Discontinued."

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the screenshot I took a few days ago and the one I took right now.

image.png.26e851eefa4c77a08c4a4086dc649b10.pngimage.png.772cdafb52edb345611f329324d7ad26.png

That's pretty darn strange.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Max

• Like 1

Also, another strange thing I noticed, and it has to do with the DT-03 wing. So, I was browsing the spare part catalog and every other item was marked as "In Stock" and had a price besides the wing. It was labeled as "Discontinued." But if they "re-released" it, how is it still discontinued?

I'm quite baffled in this moment. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,

Max

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tamiya_Cars_4_Life said:

Also, another strange thing I noticed, and it has to do with the DT-03 wing. So, I was browsing the spare part catalog and every other item was marked as "In Stock" and had a price besides the wing. It was labeled as "Discontinued." But if they "re-released" it, how is it still discontinued?

I'm quite baffled in this moment. Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers, Max

Corporations are screwy like that! We're under Corona HYSTERIA, so it's even worse. Things will level off soon. 😊

On 8/19/2020 at 12:06 AM, xzenonuk said:

Any wing that will fit will do, i have a HPI Brama wing on my Thunder Tiger XXB lol

About to lose my second DT-02 wing as well for my Sandviper, gonna go wingless when that happens :)

TRUE statement!! I hate to give THEM the free Advertising... But Traxxas Wings are much stronger - and easier to get. 😁

On 8/18/2020 at 3:00 PM, Juls1 said:

Racing Fighter is not discontinued, just the Black Edition. The body and decal included in the black edition is identical to the original version just painted gunmetal not orange.  
I wish they would sell the Black Chassis though separate. I hate the Grey Chassis. 

The wings are terribly flimsy. I recently fitted up a generic Pro-Line wing to mine.

Juls

I am not NUTZ about the Grey either... Black RIT Dye works wonders! 😉

• Like 1