wonko

First Build - Need Some Advice, Please

So, I bought a kit.  NO... not three.  Stop accusing me of buying three.

Looking at the TT02 Audi Quattro Rallye A2 (58667), it says I need a "2-channel R/C unit with electronic speed controller".  Not knowing any better, I just picked a receiver:  Futaba R203GF S-FHSS 3Ch 2.4GHz Receiver because I figured it would be compatible with my radio, which is a Futaba 3PRKA 3-Channel 2.4GHz Radio FHSS System.

I can't see in the specs where that receiver has a built-in ESC.

My XV-01 Lancia... I mean... I have this friend who has an XV-01 Lancia (58569).  It has the same requirement and that friend might also have a 3PRKA radio and may have also bought a R203GF receiver.

But the Candy Green Grasshopper (47348) that ... um.. yeah, this other friend has.. well, it says it comes with an TBLE-02 Tamiya ESC.

So, I am totally confused.

And... uh.. so are those two friends of mine.

Are the ESC and receiver two separate parts or do some receivers have an ESC built in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One other thing...

What brands should I look at?  I bought Futaba because that's what I had as a kid and that was the best around at the time, so it's a name I recognize and the reviews I've read seem to indicate it's still a top-quality brand.

Any advice you can give regarding brand, type, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  I bought from Amazon, so returns are free.

• Like 1

ESC and receiver are 2 separate things (except those Sanwa ones that have both together in one unit).

You're right, Futaba makes great gear.  The 3PRKA is one of their bottom range units which do work well, but doesn't have multi-model memory.  This means some fiddling around with it when you want to swap models.  Some people just have one receiver on velcro which they switch between cars when using a single model radio.  You could buy a 3PV or 4PV which are mid-range Futaba radios and use those same receivers that you already have.  The 3PV is a nice unit, small, works well, relatively affordable.  The 4PV is great, but with a price to match.

Multi-model means the radio has different memory slots, so you choose the model you want, and they do anywhere from 10 to 40 models off one controller.  Not at the same time.

There are plenty of other cheap radios out there though, like Flysky.  Look at the GT3C if you want budget multi-model radio.  Personally I think the Futaba units are better, and there are also clone receivers around now too which are much cheaper than real ones.

ESC - what motor do you want to run?  If you want fast, then look at brushless.  I buy sensored brushless but there are some cheap sensorless brushless combos around which people seem to have a lot of luck with.  Look for Surpass Hobby or GoolRC.

If sensored, then look at Hobbywing 10BL120 for a cheap and cheerful ESC that can run some crazy fast motors.  Or the SkyRC TS120.  There is cheaper too, like the Trackstar Turbo 80amp from Hobbyking.

The TBLE-02S that the Grasshopper comes with will be fine for the Grasshopper, you won't want to run faster motors in that anyway.  Just run the kit motor.

For motors, look at around 10.5T - 13.5T (lower turns are faster) brushless sensored, or 3000kv - 4000kv sensorless at a guess.  They should be a good starting point.  I like Surpass V4S, but the V2 and V3 are cheaper and should be great in bashers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, wonko said:

Are the ESC and receiver two separate parts or do some receivers have an ESC built in?

Yeah, I have friends like that too 😁.

In the vast, vast majority of cases, the ESC and receiver are 2 separate bits of kit. There are some examples of esc/receivers as a single unit but these are so few and far between as to be not worth mentioning. 

If you have a Futaba transmitter (tx), google what receivers (rx) are compatible and order accordingly (I'm not familiar with your tx so won't offer any advice about this as don't want to tell you wrong 🤔)

Basically, some kits will come with an ESC eg your grasshopper - others will not and you will need to get your own. 

In terms of getting your own ESC, the hobbywing 1060 is a good choice and relatively cheap.

Edit - Ninja'd by Jonathon 😁

• Like 4

I bought a transmitter that came with two receivers, think it was Absima CR3P it has 10 model memory and a digital screen for my first two cars.. Then a 'friend' of mine acquired two more cars.. I figured 'we' could just buy two more receivers, the crazy thing was, the cost of two new receivers wasn't much cheaper than buying a new transmitter with two receivers included.. So 'we' did that.. Now I can be two friends at the same time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lee76 said:

I bought a transmitter that came with two receivers, think it was Absima CR3P it has 10 model memory and a digital screen for my first two cars.. Then a 'friend' of mine acquired two more cars.. I figured 'we' could just buy two more receivers, the crazy thing was, the cost of two new receivers wasn't much cheaper than buying a new transmitter with two receivers included.. So 'we' did that.. Now I can be two friends at the same time...

Yeah I think my 'friend' will be doing the same come payday. Been hanging my...I mean, his (ahem) nose over the CR3P for a little while. Aside from sounding like something out of starwars, are they any good?

7 minutes ago, Silver-Can said:

Yeah I think my 'friend' will be doing the same come payday. Been hanging my...I mean, his (ahem) nose over the CR3P for a little while. Aside from sounding like something out of starwars, are they any good?

honestly.. I have no Idea. I got my first car a year ago or so and a friend of mine who races touring cars (village club level not a pro) recommended it. I only drive my cars around a cricket pitch near me and don't race so I know I'm not using it seriously or utilising all the functions I've not looked at.. I trim the steering and off we go... I bought a monster beetle er.. for my 4 year old... and bought a second transmitter for this, the absolute cheapest wheel transmitter the shop had and the way I use them I wouldn't know any difference. the transmitter I bought after those (with two more receivers) was a cheaper model by Absima that has a flip top lid and some dials rather than digital.. and again... it works exactly the same for me.. So I'd say if you're just running like I am, trying not to damage the car and not measuring a lap time, the cheapest will be just as good. If you think you might race or you like the LCD and programme options the CR3P has been recommended by someone who wouldn't spend more than he needs but cares about getting the best out of his car. I'm not sure any of that really helps. but there we are :)  If I would buy just one of the three I have, it would be the CR3P though, just because it possibly gives more future versatility.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your help!

3 hours ago, Lee76 said:

Now I can be two friends at the same time...

I think they make pills for that, actually. :D

@Jonathon Gillham  First off, thanks for such a detailed response.  That helps a lot.

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

You're right, Futaba makes great gear.  The 3PRKA is one of their bottom range units which do work well, but doesn't have multi-model memory.  This means some fiddling around with it when you want to swap models.  Some people just have one receiver on velcro which they switch between cars when using a single model radio.  You could buy a 3PV or 4PV which are mid-range Futaba radios and use those same receivers that you already have.  The 3PV is a nice unit, small, works well, relatively affordable.  The 4PV is great, but with a price to match.

My philosophy has always been that it's less expensive to buy high-quality items that are 'future-proof' rather than start off with the bare minimum.  Since there are already multiple cars involved, it only makes sense to have a radio which can handle it.  I'll check into the prices on those other two models.

4 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

ESC - what motor do you want to run?  If you want fast, then look at brushless.  I buy sensored brushless but there are some cheap sensorless brushless combos around which people seem to have a lot of luck with.  Look for Surpass Hobby or GoolRC.

For now, my plan is to run the stock motors on everything.  I figure I'll have a hard enough time controlling these things, so the extra power/speed would be an impediment rather than an improvement.  However, going back to purchasing 'future-proof' items, it would make more sense to get brushless ESC with sensors so I don't have to replace those in the future.

Then again, those things are really expensive.  LOL

Thanks again!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee76 said:

honestly.. I have no Idea. I got my first car a year ago or so and a friend of mine who races touring cars (village club level not a pro) recommended it. I only drive my cars around a cricket pitch near me and don't race so I know I'm not using it seriously or utilising all the functions I've not looked at.. I trim the steering and off we go... I bought a monster beetle er.. for my 4 year old... and bought a second transmitter for this, the absolute cheapest wheel transmitter the shop had and the way I use them I wouldn't know any difference. the transmitter I bought after those (with two more receivers) was a cheaper model by Absima that has a flip top lid and some dials rather than digital.. and again... it works exactly the same for me.. So I'd say if you're just running like I am, trying not to damage the car and not measuring a lap time, the cheapest will be just as good. If you think you might race or you like the LCD and programme options the CR3P has been recommended by someone who wouldn't spend more than he needs but cares about getting the best out of his car. I'm not sure any of that really helps. but there we are :)  If I would buy just one of the three I have, it would be the CR3P though, just because it possibly gives more future versatility.

Thanks for that. I used to race and bash  with the Core 3 channel stick transmitters which are now discontinued unfortunately, so receivers are hard to come by. I have about 8 or 9 of them, but have 13 cars and no more  receivers so I was looking for something with comparable features and functions. I think I'll give the CR3P a go - just got to get used to those bloomin steering wheels 😠

Thanks again.

/derail.

• Like 1

I’m not sure what your soldering skills are but many  brushless motors/esc s require motor leads or battery connectors to be soldered or may come with a battery connector that will require an adaptor for current batt...or require new batt.

Sometimes I feel that many old hands here take for granted certain things IRT to those new in the hobby.  It can be intimidating and can easily lead down a very expensive road.  

My advice would be run the stock set-up until you are bored and then look at a cheap sensor less brushless combo around 3000kv on eBay with with everything all set up to run.  Maybe consider a 2s lipo battery with matching connector.  

If you are good at soldering and have a set-up already then disregard😁

@426Purplefish - I'm decent at soldering; not an expert, but comfortable enough for something like this (I think).

I will definitely look on eBay for that stuff.

Thanks!