Lunchy

VW KARMANN GHIA Sill level

3 hours ago, Lunchy said:

I looked at some tamiya dampers for the this kit.  They were around $75.  Are there any other brands out there that are less expensive?

thanks!

Yeah Racing really aren't bad!! Just replace the O-Ring Seals with either Tamiya or Team Associated, and you've got some GOOD Shocks - at 1/3rd the Price!! 😉

• Like 1

I having some trouble finding the damper from yeah racing fro the M-O6 chassis.  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

19 hours ago, Lunchy said:

I looked at some tamiya dampers for the this kit.  They were around $75.  Are there any other brands out there that are less expensive?

thanks!

I went for these from RC Mart. $24,90 plus shipping. I like these on my builds but i don't drive them hard so not sure on long term

20200619_124434_resized.thumb.jpg.8ec1c810b49b5ced9641b18ea8e42c99.jpg performance but look great B)

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-shock-gear-50mm-damper-set-for-1-10-rc-touring-m-chassis-car-blue-dsg-0050bu-00036295

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lunchy said:

I having some trouble finding the damper from yeah racing fro the M-O6 chassis.  Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

The M05 thru current M-Chassis cars all use the same length dampers.  They are interchangeable. I haven't been exposed to any M-Chassis prior to the M05, so I can't speak to those with any certainty.

Regarding the Yeah Racing "Qutus" dampers, swapping seals is a gamble.  I installed a set on a M08 using Tamiya TRF X-rings and Green Slime.  All 4 dampers leaked with the X-rings. I rebuilt them using the YR supplied O-rings last week and they are okay thus far. I'm under the impression that there may have be some R&D done by the manufacturers and that seals in damper kits may be specific to the damper model.

The springs that come with the YR dampers are stiffer than Tamiya OEM springs that come with the M07 and M08 cars. M05 and M06 cars have stiffer Tamiya springs, leading me to believe that the YR damper kits are intended for M05 and M06 cars.

Here's a link to a decent kit:  https://www.yeahracing.com/qutus-challenger-50mm-damper-set-for-1-10-rc-touring-m-chassis-car-blue-dbb-2050bu-00082234

It can be built using fixed or adjustable pistons, and 2 different length shafts are included. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 12:51 PM, Lunchy said:

thanks!

I assume the $75 were the aluminum ones ? The Tamiya CVA set you assemble yourself from a parts tree are about $22 USD from Tower or AMain or your preferred hobby dealer.

I used the Longer Tamiya ones on my G6-01 but on my M-06 Chassis Miata I built I used some HPI shocks I bought from a kit breaker called Jenny’s RC. They were like $10 a set of 4 and I just transferred the Tamiya springs and rod ends to fit them . 
there are other options beyond bling $75 aluminum dampers 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lunchy said:

thanks

If you search for "Yeah Racing Shock Gear 50mm", you should have no problem finding sets for sale online. They fit many different cars, so searching for ones sold specifically for the M-06 will probably not yield many results. However searching by length (50mm in the case of the M-06) will improve your odds.

• Like 1

Just so you know, Yeah Racing also sells them in orange.  

rHs1jZQ.jpg

I fitted them for M06 (not M05 that came with) Prinz TT Jagermeister. (not that you have to match colors) 

F6qdX4R.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually thought about getting this kit but wasn't keen on the idea of having a FWD car.  Didn't know how fun they would be to drive.  I think the kit looks awesome though

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juggular said:

Just so you know, Yeah Racing also sells them in orange.  

rHs1jZQ.jpg

I fitted them for M06 (not M05 that came with) Prinz TT Jagermeister. (not that you have to match colors) 

F6qdX4R.jpg

That body looks great. Are those tail lights flat stickers formed around the shape? How’d you fit those? Heat gun?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah @Juggular that looks shockingly good! Your detail work is amazing! I suppose the M06, with its Motor hanging back in the Boot, would be a perfect fit for that Car...

WHY wasn't that obvious to Tamiya??

• Thanks 1

I love it!  Is there place to buy the body somewhere ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lunchy said:

Looks like those would fit the MO5 chassis also?

It would.... But the Drive Wheels are in the wrong place. 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lunchy said:

I love it!  Is there place to buy the body somewhere ?

Tony’s Tamiya Parts on eBay seems to be out of stock but there is one here

https://www.timetunnelmodels.com/live/catalog/tamiya-51594-jagermeister-body-parts-chassis-series-p-62716.html

The seller is a member here. Probably also available from the likes of Modelsport, Wheelspin, etc

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lee76 said:

That body looks great. Are those tail lights flat stickers formed around the shape? How’d you fit those? Heat gun?

Thanks!  If I remember correctly, tail light stickers looked like "oc"; letter "o" attached to "c."  Tricky to cut out.  I used my wife's hair dryer.  

NSU Prinz TT comes with M05.  But like Carmine said, M05 is a front wheel drive chassis. 

95fKfpo.jpg

Tamiya should have sold it with M06 (which is RWD) because NSU Prinz TT is RWD.  

7OgRfTQ.jpg

I think mismatching might be a marketing plan. 

Supermarkets are not entirely organized.  If they are too organized, people would just grab the stuff they need and get out.  Slightly disorganized supermarkets sell more.  Like you start with veggies at one side, food stuff, and then soaps, pots and pans and suddenly mustard and pastas...  You'd think, "why is mustard not next to bread?"  But shoppers who have to go back and forth end up buying more.  (they can't be too disorganized, though. Nobody likes veggies sitting next to bug spray) 

Maybe people would find out that real NSU Prinz have motor at the back, and then you'd buy M06 too?  I complained about it.  But I ended up getting both.  If that was Tamiya's plan, I would say it worked on me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Juggular That's a clever observation!! 💯  It has to be a Marketing ploy...  BUT, maybe also Cars like the NSU, MX-5 and a couple of others are sold on the M05 Chassis, because their EASIER to Drive. They're Marketing to a much wider audience than just us NUTZ!! 

So, perhaps someone buys the NSU Kit, enjoys it, then later finds out that the Engine is in the Boot like many Eastern Cars.... 

If they choose to fix it - Tamiya sells a M06 - or even M08! 😉

• Thanks 1

looks like I might stick with the VW KARMANN GHIA.  Not crazy about the FWD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The VW KARMANN GHIA is a great looking Body, and the Tail Happy M06 is a really FUN Chassis!! If you get a pair of S-Grip or softer for the Rear Tires, they're not as squirrelly. I had the Lowride Pumpkin - FUN!!!

• Like 1

The low ride pumpkin is nice... can't seem to find any out there.

• Like 2

The low ride pumpkin is nice... can't seem to find any out there.