Wooster

Glue metal hexes?

Hi all. I’m replacing the plastic wheel hexes in my Blitzer with the Tamiya metal ones. The plastic ones were a very snug fit  whereas the metal ones - although definitely the right size - fall out if I tip the wheel. Is it worth glueing the metal hexes in or will the - threadlocked - wheel nuts hold everything together? Downsides of glueing seem to me to be having to buy new hexes if I need to replace the wheels and the possibility of getting glue where it’s not wanted. Downside of not glueing seems to be the possibility of losing the hex if the wheel does comes off...

Hmm. I have some feedback that may help:

1. Try the hexes that have a tiny bolt that you use to tighten the hex onto the axle shaft, making everything pretty snug. 

2. The plastic hexes are also pretty loose-fitting when they are new and there's no dirt/grime to keep them snug, but I find it pretty rare to lose a hex due to a wheel falling off. Much more common is losing the 2x9.8mm pin that locates in the hex. I've lost a few of those myself. Given that you put the wheels on securely, those hexes aren't going anywhere.

3. I'd imagine glue would get into all the wrong places, so I'd stay away from that solution in general.

• Thanks 1

If you don't have clamping hexes, a dab of RTV/silicone sealant on the pin and slot will prevent loss whilst being easily removable.

• Like 2