richb77

M05 RWD or 4wd conversion possible?

Hi all. I have an unused m05 chassis (racing mini Cooper Version) that I want to rally/tarmac. 

The car in mind is RWD and I'd like to convert it if possible. Is there a way? Is it worth it? I could at a push leave it FWD if its a ballache. 

Thanks chaps. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richb77 said:

Hi all. I have an unused m05 chassis (racing mini Cooper Version) that I want to rally/tarmac. 

The car in mind is RWD and I'd like to convert it if possible. Is there a way? Is it worth it? I could at a push leave it FWD if its a ballache. 

Thanks chaps. 

Never tried it with the '05, but the '03 is quite easy to convert to RWD. 

2019-03-25_09-39-23

Might give you some ideas?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Never tried it with the '05, but the '03 is quite easy to convert to RWD. 

2019-03-25_09-39-23

Might give you some ideas?

Items in your Picture seem fairly easy and obvious... How you made the Rear Steering is not clear. 

Except for that, it looks like you've simply put the Body on backwards to make it work! 😁 

IF that were possible with a M05.... That would make a BETTER RWD Car than the M06 - because it would be MID Engined, instead of the Motor hanging out behind the Rear Axle!! 😖

Of course you could say the same thing, regarding the M03-04.

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Items in your Picture seem fairly easy and obvious... How you made the Rear Steering is not clear. 

Except for that, it looks like you've simply put the Body on backwards to make it work! 😁 

IF that were possible with a M05.... That would make a BETTER RWD Car than the M06 - because it would be MID Engined, instead of the Motor hanging out behind the Rear Axle!! 😖

Of course you could say the same thing, regarding the M03-04.

The rear steering is simply the stock front steering arrangement retained as-is.

Apart from fitting a second set of front arms, C-hubs and uprights connected to a servo sitting in the spot where the one for the MSC went back in the day, swapping the front and rear bumpers around and switching the motor polarity, putting the body on backwards is about all that there is to it!

It would be easier to fit bodyshells to a chassis without a motor-sized rear overhang, but I'm not sure if it would make for a better-handling car. The M-04 is mid-motored, but is a lot harder to drive than the rear-motored M-06 in my experience. My RWD M-03s have 4WS and are set up for extremely tight and technical khanacross-type obstacle courses, but I'm not sure that they would be the best choice for a conventional circuit layout.

• Like 1

@TurnipJF That really IS easy then!! 

It's been several years since I had my M03 Mini Cooper...(and even though I got an unbelievable amount of Money for it, I really regret selling it 😭)  I had NO IDEA that Austin Mini Bodies would become Unobtainium!!!  But if possible, I'd love to get my hands on another M03. I can't remember how much better or worse it was than the M05, but I'm up for finding out!! 

The more I've been looking and reading, the MORE versatile I'm finding the M03!! 

"Khanacross" sounds VERY intriguing!! Have you any Video of it?  I've done Autocross in 1:1.... And found it FAR more economical and more FUN than when I Raced SCCA.  If you're talking about a RC version of that - I'm very space limited... 

That really sounds like a fun option!! 😁  And 4-Wheel Steering??? Must be VERY tight indeed.