jellon

Lunch Box fine detailing

Just received the excellent RC Katalog - well worth buying if you want to see some perfect versions of the RC models.

I notice that their Lunch Box has very fine black lines around the doors, bonnet and indicators.

Does anyone know a neat way to do this - including the door frame where the orange zigzag overlaps? I'm assuming some kind of acrylic fineliner and cutting the sticker at those points? 

IMG_20200820_152112215.jpg

• Like 1

you can get panel line markers - often called gundam paint pens. You just run them along the panel lines and with a quetip/cotton bud dipped in a very small amount of thinners, just run that over the panel and remove any excess.

IMG_1427 IMG_1345

I would say that sometimes black can be a bit too much for some body colours, so I often use a dark grey (as with the Sand Scorcher above) which just takes the edge off it a little.

Forgot I actually did a Lunchbox too:

IMG_0713

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

just realised I hadn't answered your question about the stickers: my advice there would be to get a hair dryer on the stickers over the panel lines and warm them up gently so they can be stretched into the panel lines using a wooden toothpick (not the point though, pull it down the panel with the point facing away) so it gets right into the line. Depending on the paint/pen you use you may well just be able to paint/draw over the sticker in the line. Otherwise you might need to get a scalpel and very carefully remove the sticker from the line but running your blade down either side and removing the bit in the groove and then painting down the line as above.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, jonboy1 said:

just realised I hadn't answered your question about the stickers: my advice there would be to get a hair dryer on the stickers over the panel lines and warm them up gently so they can be stretched into the panel lines using a wooden toothpick (not the point though, pull it down the panel with the point facing away) so it gets right into the line. Depending on the paint/pen you use you may well just be able to paint/draw over the sticker in the line. Otherwise you might need to get a scalpel and very carefully remove the sticker from the line but running your blade down either side and removing the bit in the groove and then painting down the line as above.

JJ - your pic above was actually the 'before' shot; we decided to do exactly as you described to finish it off perfectly:

50262550633_e0f5ca28c1_h.jpg

• Like 3

If you care to have your Lunchbox all done properly don't forget to finish the front grill. It is a critical part of the body for the thing to look completely and realistic.

lunchiegrill_zps082c25b6.jpg

IMG_3348_zpswryavpr1.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

If you care to have your Lunchbox all done properly don't forget to finish the front grill. It is a critical part of the body for the thing to look completely and realistic.

lunchiegrill_zps082c25b6.jpg

IMG_3348_zpswryavpr1.jpg

What are the main changes to the grill - besides the lunch-box sticker? Is it mainly the black detailing? 

On 8/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, barneys66 said:

JJ - your pic above was actually the 'before' shot; we decided to do exactly as you described to finish it off perfectly:

50262550633_e0f5ca28c1_h.jpg

Thats a really nice job - now I want to do that! Did you use a gundam pen? If so, could you recommend a brand/supplier in the UK?

56 minutes ago, jellon said:

Thats a really nice job - now I want to do that! Did you use a gundam pen? If so, could you recommend a brand/supplier in the UK?

Thanks!  @jonboy1 did it for me before shipping, so I'll let him comment on the specifics :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jellon said:

What are the main changes to the grill - besides the lunch-box sticker? Is it mainly the black detailing? 

Matt black for the grill, and specially between the bars to make them pop up and look realistic. ALSO, don't forget a very lil touch of clear orange or yellow for the front lamps.

One Owner Californian: 1976 Dodge Tradesman

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jellon said:

I use Mr Hobby pens - they also do an excellent range of real metal paints.

This is the pen I used: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSI-Creos-Mr-Hobby-GM302-Gundam-Marker-Pour-Type-Grey/254602886006?hash=item3b4783bb76:g:GqMAAOSwqvVexXfa

here's a slightly better view of the front grille:

IMG_0714

• Like 2

It does look very cool - that will give me something to do in this crummy weather! Might stop me from buying a monster beetle for a month at least.....

• Haha 1

It was totally worth getting the gundam marker. She's taken a beating already but finally looks finished. Just need to do a bit of tidying on the grill paint.

Made a half-ar#ed attempt to paint the 'all traction utility' tyre letters white, but may get some stickers at some point.

Anyone know if they are worth it - or do they peel off fairly quick? 

IMG_20200907_201354725.jpg

• Like 4