Sign in to follow this  
burakol

Tamiya USA: Top Force for $206

Just a heads up. If anyone is looking into getting one. Tamiya USA has the Top Force listed for $206 shipped within the continental USA. 

Contemplating on getting one myself plus an all plastic gear set (50529) for $10. Considering the shipping is free, I think it's priced well. 

• Like 2

I literally put it in my cart since i had almost $100 in my paypal from selling my avante black Gt tuned motor and 2 other things this week.  I said before i pay let me see some reviews and what you need to add. I ended up passing, just cant justify having an egress and an unbuilt avante black. No bearings, (even though i probably have most laying around)  Garbage motor mount and a few other things That break easily  just doesNt sit well with me. 

4 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I literally put it in my cart since i had almost $100 in my paypal from selling my avante black Gt tuned motor and 2 other things this week.  I said before i pay let me see some reviews and what you need to add. I ended up passing, just cant justify having an egress and an unbuilt avante black. No bearings, (even though i probably have most laying around)  Garbage motor mount and a few other things That break easily  just doesNt sit well with me. 

Its a great runner though.  The only must haves are bearings and the motor mount from what I can gather.  Mine ended up with hi caps and a few other things as well, and its performance is close to a modern buggy but it looks amazing.  I haven't built or driven an Egress to know which is the better build and runner though, but given the price difference the Top Force is probably better value for money.

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Its a great runner though.  The only must haves are bearings and the motor mount from what I can gather.  Mine ended up with hi caps and a few other things as well, and its performance is close to a modern buggy but it looks amazing.  I haven't built or driven an Egress to know which is the better build and runner though, but given the price difference the Top Force is probably better value for money.

I am still considering buying and putting away for the winter 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Besides the motor mount & bearings is there anything else? If i did buy it id probably only put a 13.5 motor in it

52 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

Besides the motor mount & bearings is there anything else? If i did buy it id probably only put a 13.5 motor in it

I haven't run the kit shocks but CVAs are generally fine. I did turnbuckles too which obviously aren't essential. I find the kit chassis fine so don't think you need a carbon upgrade. I have a 23T Super Stock in mine on 2S, which is close to a 13.5T motor, and it runs great.

The plastic gears and high speed gearset. I bought them all with pinions so can gear for 17.5T and lower. You probably don't need this for a 13.5t, I just got them all for vintage racing.

2 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I agree with @Jonathon Gillham. Minimally the motor mount, bearings, the all-plastic gear set and a steel pinion too.

• Like 1

I do plan on running a 17.5t brushless in mine... what's the FDR on the TOP force? Am I on the cusp of overheating the stock ESC? I could not find e reasonably stocked hi speed gear set for it...

I love my top force. nothing has broken unless i broke it. im on brushless with 2s.

• Like 1

There's an argument to be made for buying the Top Force based on looks alone! The fact that it's a competent runner is icing on the cake.

• Like 1

I am also very pro- Top Force. They are beautiful buggies and quite the performers, especially considering the age of the design.

5 hours ago, burakol said:

I do plan on running a 17.5t brushless in mine... what's the FDR on the TOP force? Am I on the cusp of overheating the stock ESC? I could not find e reasonably stocked hi speed gear set for it...

With the high speed gears you can get to about 5.7 from memory which is close enough for a 17.5T in blinky mode. It uses 12mm hex wheels so you can use the modern sized wheels too.

No idea if the stock ESC will overheat, I haven't tried running one like that.

44 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

With the high speed gears you can get to about 5.7 from memory which is close enough for a 17.5T in blinky mode. It uses 12mm hex wheels so you can use the modern sized wheels too.

No idea if the stock ESC will overheat, I haven't tried running one like 

Wait... the kit doesnt come with an ESC so I can actually use other brands... 

On 8/21/2020 at 4:55 PM, burakol said:

Wait... the kit doesnt come with an ESC so I can actually use other brands... 

You can and have always been able to use whatever electronics you wish. Perhaps im misunderstanding you comment. 

4 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

You can and have always been able to use whatever electronics you wish. Perhaps im misunderstanding you comment. 

I think he means since it doesn’t come with an ESC he has to buy one anyway, so might as well get what he wants.

i threw a 1060 in my top force. Works great but I’m using a 17t brushes motor with nimh 

4 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

I was just referring to the fact that I was thinking of using the stock ESC which may overheat on a 17.5t motor... then again, I forgot that the kit doesnt come with an ESC so I may be able to get away with not adjusting the hearing and not overheat if I ak to use other ESC...