Wooders28

Which car to keep?!

A few months back, I was asked by one of the guys in work, if I wanted some old RC toys cars his Aunty had in her shed. I was told there was 3 in a box, and if I could make one work for his lad, I could keep the other 2.

The box arrived, and there was 'only' 2 cars, complete with 27mhz radios ,a futaba 210 esc ,nicads, chargers ,spare Trinity motor etc. 

One is a, 58172 - Taisan Starcard Porsche 911

And the other is , 58210 - TA03F Subaru Impreza

2020-08-20_06-59-11

2020-08-20_09-06-40

Unfortunately, I've been flat out the past few months, so not had a chance to do anything with either yet, so no idea if there's bearings, damaged gears etc, but with things getting back to 'normal' I'm hoping to get some time to start on them.

So, which would you keep?

Which would you clean up, go through ,probably 1060 /15t firebolt and hand back for a young lad? 

I'm not really into ,On Road, but I'm drawn towards the ,belt drive TA03F. But the internet seems to love the 'one off ' Porsche!?! 🤷‍♂️

If you aren't that into on-road, I would say keep the TA-03, as it is the more interesting of the two mechanically and aesthetically, as well as the harder to get parts for, so would be better as a seldom-run display piece for an adult collector.

The TA-02 on the other hand is not as interesting and still quite easy to get parts for, so would make a better runner for the kid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blissard said:

Great deal! I would keep the Subaru. it even has a cool box, too bad it's taped.

I wouldn't be using the body, is use something cool, something like the Parma 34 Ford pick up.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, 

I was kind of hoping the 3rd car would turn up, and have a doubler ,which would make a decision easy! 🙄😂

Nice problem to have - like others said make the decision based on the Chassis. You can always get a body of your choice later.

I think I'd be tempted to go find some super-cheap TT01 (or something) roller, cobble that together for the kid, and keep both of these... they'd never know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

I think I'd be tempted to go find some super-cheap TT01 (or something) roller, cobble that together for the kid, and keep both of these... they'd never know the difference.

That's cunning,

I like that!! 😏😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wooders28 said:

That's cunning,

I like that!! 😏😂

Building a more recent chassis with easier spares availability for the kid would probably be doing him a service too.

• Like 1

You don't even have to lie about it, really: "Look, these are both pretty rare and fragile and hard to find parts for, so they're probably better left to a collector like me for shelf display. But I can put together a nice modern runner for the boy if you want, as trade."

Also, how come no one I know is ever giving away old RC stuff? Not fair.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

how come no one I know is ever giving away old RC stuff? Not fair

Every man and his dog, know I'm into RC's, I've been given bits and bobs over the years, but this is the first time I've been given 2 whole cars!! 😁

52 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Also, how come no one I know is ever giving away old RC stuff? Not fair.

Ain't that the truth, lol. I read stories on here about it happening but I never seem to have any luck either. Of course the closest fellow RC enthusiast I know is in the next state over so.... 

• Haha 1

I personally prefer the ta02, I used to have a starcard but sold it. 

I don't agree with the whole "keep both and get another car for the kid" idea. 

But, as others have said, keep the belt drive ta03 yourself and rebuild the more durable shaft driven ta02 for the kid. :)

So, I spoke to the guy this morning.

He likes the idea of a different car, that he can get spares for, and -

" aye, whatever, he's probably only going to smash it into the fence, break it, then thrown it in a box in the shed to be forgotten about anyway " 

So I'm thinking lunchbox, hornet that kind of thing, Something I know something about!! 😂

So the best get, clean these up, get them listed on eBay, then I'll know what the budget is.