toyolien

Paint brush recommendations please.

I currently use a mix of Tamiya and Humbrol paint brushes with mixed results. Maybe be it's my poor technique, but I find it very difficult to get straight lines straight. It's almost as if the bristles naturally curve. This led me to look at some better quality brushes.

I'm mainly looking for recommendations to use for painting driver figures, in particular the fine detail parts like faces. Anyone have any particular favorites they use? I quite like the look of the Humbrol Palo brushes but have not used them before.

Thank you for any help.

im not sure about brands, but it is what the brush is made of. like synthethic hair. Pine Marten would be better quality over synthethic hair, if i remember correctly. but it could also be your technique. i have never really been good at paint straight lines with brush either.

• Like 1

I don't know about brand names.  I just buy #0 or #00 brushes from art supply stores for $2 - $5.  I don't think what I have are synthetic (because synthetic doesn't sound good).  "00" is finer but also shorter, which makes it stiffer. So I prefer "0."  Organic lines are good.  But straight lines are hard with brushes.  

bXew0js.jpg

If you want to draw a straight fine line, using a pen would be another option.  

The black part of the eyes were dotted with a very fine Sharpy.  

TlEbgSf.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lee76 said:

The miniature painting brushes are pretty good, miniature painting is normally acrylic.  Check this range out:-

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-BE/Complete-Citadel-Brush-Set-2016

Exactly the ones I was about to suggest, they are designed for painting models, and using acrylics. If it is for painting drivers etc I would go for any in the "layer" range. if it is for covering larger areas the "shade" brushes are good.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bozatron said:

Exactly the ones I was about to suggest, they are designed for painting models, and using acrylics. If it is for painting drivers etc I would go for any in the "layer" range. if it is for covering larger areas the "shade" brushes are good.

Back in my youth I enjoyed painting the miniatures. Never played the games but many hours spent painting space marines... I don't think back in the day they such a large range, dry brushing brushes for example you'd just buy  a stiff bristle artists brush and chop the top off.. I bought a couple of the newer ones and they are very good.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

Are you building some sort of evil empire of clone troopers?

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

I don't know about brand names.  I just buy #0 or #00 brushes from art supply stores for $2 - $5.  I don't think what I have are synthetic (because synthetic doesn't sound good).  "00" is finer but also shorter, which makes it stiffer. So I prefer "0."  Organic lines are good.  But straight lines are hard with brushes.  

bXew0js.jpg

If you want to draw a straight fine line, using a pen would be another option.  

The black part of the eyes were dotted with a very fine Sharpy.  

TlEbgSf.jpg

• Haha 1

Ditch the brushes and use acrylic paint pens. I’ve switched over and they’re way easier to use and get desired results. Mine don’t look spectacular but they look better than the results I got with brush. 

EAC33A16-6F12-490E-B604-8F78A294144C.jpeg

BD472C0E-DF30-42A2-8B7B-F0ECC0B44C9B.jpeg