Sign in to follow this  
Danmurphy1978

Hi Cap damper pistons

I was wondering if there are any option shock pistons available that fit the hi cap dampers? I know they come with 2, 3 and 4 hole options, but even the 2 holes create quite soft damping even with heavy oil. I think they are all 1.5mm holes. Could do with a 1.2 or 1.3mm option, would any of the TRF pistons fit?

Sorry but late replying. The HiCap mini your stuck, at least for genuine Tamiya pistons. The shorts you “might” be able to squeeze the big bore aeration damper pistons in, I have a feeling you can buy those Blank and put your own holes in. 

check my buggy damper thread for more info. 

According to Juls thread, the newer Big Bore aerations have an inner diameter of 12mm, as well as the Highcaps!:)

So the Tamiya pistons Tamiya - 54509, which are blank without holes, should do the trick. The 2 hole aeration damper pistons have 1,5 or 1,7mm holes, which is even bigger than the hicaps. So this could work.

Tom´s method does work also, in my real job we do it with real pistons sometimes.:lol:

For the model, maybe a drop of hotglue into the hole, and flatened on the upper and lower side of the piston would be enough to withstand the oil pressure. And could be removed easily in case it did not help...

But the Teflon pistons should really help the smoothness of the Hicaps, as these are not polished inside to the standards of the more modern Big bores or other newer Tamiya dampers. These pistons even transform CVA dampers...

Let us know, if it works please!