wtcc5

wtcc5's TC-01 garage

15 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

This is a great effort with the build. Am I the only one thinking it could make a great rally chassis? Looks like the lower wishbones can pivot fairly low. 

That was my first thought. Front motor layout looks great, if suspension has enough travel (or can be replaced by standard TC or XV01 suspension), it could be decent rally car.

Thing that I dont like about this chassis are integrated differential gearcases... Stripped thread means whole chassis disassembly (interesting how Tamiya used drop-in nuts in most parts, with exception of gearboxes) instead of swaping gearcase. Also custom chassis (for long wheelbase F1 for example) is impossible

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Carmine A said:

IF one could heat mold a full Lexan lower Pan for it - maybe.  As is it seems to offer NO protection for the internal components from debris.

Was actually thinking that it looks as if debris would be able to fall out of the chassis rather than accumulate in it? The drive train is sealed and the sides are open, (I'd pop some foam under the steering arms to stop them jamming) so maybe just a skid tray rather than a full undertray? I'd not be bothered if underneath got a bit battered though! 

Looking forward to the first run report 😁

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grotty Otty said:

Was actually thinking that it looks as if debris would be able to fall out of the chassis rather than accumulate in it? The drive train is sealed and the sides are open, (I'd pop some foam under the steering arms to stop them jamming) so maybe just a skid tray rather than a full undertray? I'd not be bothered if underneath got a bit battered though! 

Looking forward to the first run report 😁

It MIGHT not be an issue....  I overthink a lot. Yes, ample openings to pass through debris, and you'd probably be just fine. 

I'm in a Desert... Our Sand is high in Silica. Personally, I'd like to avoid the risk if I could. Regardless of how small. If I was just going for a Desert Bash.... I'd grab a TT-02 FIRST. 

Otherwise, I'm really curious about how hard WOULD it be, to make my own Lexan Undertray.  In fact I may start with one for my TT-02 modified "Rally Special". Those are KNOWN for collecting pebbles in the Steering! 😉

• Like 1

I don‘t know if it is necessary to go through this trouble. There are dust cover nets for bashers that work very good for different vehicles and are attached easily by velcro.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

I don‘t know if it is necessary to go through this trouble. There are dust cover nets for bashers that work very good for different vehicles and are attached easily by velcro.

You're absolutely right. I just like to look for excuses to create things. 😉   The Dust Covers are pretty effective. They just don't always LOOK so great... To ME.

What I'm considering is something similar to what the Avante, Schumacher, and an option on old Kyosho Mods and Ultimas (aftermarket on the Kyosho) 

A made to fit, full Undercarriage Tray. Not only prevents debris from being forced up by spinning Wheels, but also add a layer of scuff protection for the lower Chassis - especially if you've got CF or Aluminium Plate under it!!

I promise, this isn't a sales pitch!! Just tossing up an idea.💡   IF I'm able to get my FF-03 - you can BET I'll be making one!!!  They don't weigh very much, and don't get HEAVIER when it gets WET! 😊

Lets put up some more pictures!

Next are the upper arms, hubs and bones:

7e8d7821-111a-43ac-a1mj5n.jpeg

6ad157a2-f144-43e4-a1qk9u.jpeg

0d292fc7-6919-4565-b9kjef.jpeg

4adc068f-1a26-4da3-abkjn7.jpeg

beb31f56-1e4d-4edc-9t3jpz.jpeg

b4c5d729-1566-4c83-a9rjyq.jpeg

1ce1ba26-217e-4090-8j7jec.jpeg

eef94552-552c-46e6-aqqkh3.jpeg

46dce5f8-3139-45e6-849j9n.jpeg

93bdf625-fecc-4e10-9zek77.jpeg

561f7ea1-e463-4289-800j2g.jpeg

c2d93996-eb43-464a-babkgz.jpeg

5e4d5a08-cb83-4948-8y0kp4.jpeg

c1e03709-9833-4afc-akfkxn.jpeg

c7d687d4-e839-4dc4-9y2k12.jpeg

95515ee6-cc04-4fcd-9k0j1y.jpeg

5fa7e8b3-954f-4179-bn1ket.jpeg

df87d4cb-b103-4c15-8fpk3v.jpeg

• Like 1

The dampers are pretty much the same we know since 1993 except for the longer rods and the spacer tubes. Same oil as for the diffs, by the way:

12d97d34-6258-47ad-9yek6x.jpeg  

5d221a9e-ce24-422a-aepkap.jpeg

b843f118-2457-4cae-arijld.jpeg

1706c685-a90b-4a8e-bo5jj8.jpeg

2176225f-9816-4355-b9xj29.jpeg

1eea8308-e4e5-401c-b6cjci.jpeg

a3bf361c-c8bb-4d50-9faky7.jpeg

19f11640-36d7-4f3c-bl0ktb.jpeg

440480c1-80e9-432f-8uck9c.jpeg

b51169c8-bc1f-4706-98ij2r.jpeg

• Like 3

Time for the final steps!

Battery mounts, hexes, tires, bumpers and body posts:

81794e88-58ee-453b-8pujev.jpeg

cc1c3835-7628-4a5d-br3ki4.jpeg

dca48f50-767b-49b9-ahqj8a.jpeg

fdb05fe2-720f-4e72-822ksx.jpeg

2e3d447d-9c40-45ce-aiok3f.jpeg

81c73052-5154-4f9e-9c1jra.jpeg

• Like 3

And finally pictures of the completed chassis:

4b87ade8-c946-4499-bg9k87.jpeg

d0a7566a-9193-41b3-bbbjxt.jpeg

e143a43e-1a5d-4f01-a8fjw9.jpeg

e2a62629-fcea-447b-9y9kzd.jpeg

Here the underside of the chassis to check for the rally/offroad suitability:

548b18c5-a725-4845-8dwjuu.jpeg

55635c83-2933-44df-8z5kps.jpeg

The weight without battery:

f7fb8de5-dc4b-4ae8-9q1jn1.jpeg

Time to calculate - 1162g chassis + app. 210g battery + app. 120g body = 1490g 😳 No lightweight...

bf80544e-4c3e-41a2-bozkfh.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Didn't mean to be part of the "Threadjacking Conspiracy"!!! 😜😄😂  Looking underneath - I can now see clearly the need for some underbelly protection. 

Thanks so much for sharing this in such detail. I would still want to try to get the FF-03 FIRST. But this Beauty is definitely on the List! 😎💯👍👍

19 hours ago, Grotty Otty said:

This is a great effort with the build. Am I the only one thinking it could make a great rally chassis? Looks like the lower wishbones can pivot fairly low. 

I think the lower suspension travel will be limited by the upper arms and the ball connectors they press over.

• Like 3

If you get hold of a wheel and waggle it about a bit is there any more play in the steering and suspension joints than you would expect on a traditional suspension set up?

Suspension is very.... TT01/2! Eek. Are the pivot balls the same size? Tamiya made an upgrade low-friction pivot ball set for the TT02, I wonder if that is compatible? (#54559)

Is there provision for a little LED in the rear housing above the diffuser? It looks like there should be (not that Tamiya makes a single red LED kit...yet...nor are you going to be able to place an LED control unit anywhere!)

It's cool because it's new, but I do feel a little disappointed. It's more expensive than a TB05 Pro but offers no advantage and surely a higher CoG? 

I say all this but give it 4 months and it's Christmas time I'll probably end up buying one...:lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

I think the lower suspension travel will be limited by the upper arms and the ball connectors they press over.

Hadn't thought of that. Was looking at it like my FF-03 and it's IFS pushrod. Reckon you could be right. 

I'm surprised to see a box stock build from you. Not a single hop up parts was added.

Is it really you wtcc/Kevin? :lol:

Seriously, nice documented build. Like I mentioned before, I can't wait what you'll transform this into (soon?).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Superluminal said:

If you get hold of a wheel and waggle it about a bit is there any more play in the steering and suspension joints than you would expect on a traditional suspension set up?

No. The suspension is super stiff. No bending at all (remember the F201 in comparison 😂).

Slop is good, just a tiny bit more than a good race tc.

The steering has too much slop for my liking. The steering bridge is stiff as a wet towel. It needs definitely the aluminum upgrade 💴 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Suspension is very.... TT01/2! Eek. Are the pivot balls the same size? Tamiya made an upgrade low-friction pivot ball set for the TT02, I wonder if that is compatible? (#54559)

Is there provision for a little LED in the rear housing above the diffuser? It looks like there should be (not that Tamiya makes a single red LED kit...yet...nor are you going to be able to place an LED control unit anywhere!)

It's cool because it's new, but I do feel a little disappointed. It's more expensive than a TB05 Pro but offers no advantage and surely a higher CoG? 

I say all this but give it 4 months and it's Christmas time I'll probably end up buying one...:lol:

The suspension is flawless like it is.

Indeed there is a provision for a taillight there.

I for myself was very disappointed with the chassis design of the TB-05. The price is in comparison to TB-05 pro just a tad more expensive. But I don’t think Tamiya made the TC series to compete against chassis. It is just to have more freedom for upcoming body sets. The TB is more of a racer chassis.

The topic with the cog is not that easy. Having weight so far inboard also reduces tilt. So maybe both chassis are even here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicadraus said:

I'm surprised to see a box stock build from you. Not a single hop up parts was added.

Is it really you wtcc/Kevin? :lol:

Seriously, nice documented build. Like I mentioned before, I can't wait what you'll transform this into (soon?).

I am getting old 🤣

The blue stuff will come soon. But at first I want to drive it stock. So the body will come at the end of the week. And then I start with silly upgrades. My brain is already at it 😇

• Like 5

Sehr coole Foto Story !!! Thanks for sharing the detailed pictures - clearly better than any Youtube Video and it makes me want to have one. Might be waiting for the "R"or "PRO"version. Otherwise I'm ending up spending too much for Hop Ups :-) Well done !

• Like 1

Yesterday evening I had the opportunity to inspect the TC01 of my friend, who finished it this week. Kevin did really give all the infos on it! I´t´s mch more than I expected, and probably a scale chassis, that fits in betwenn the Tamiya TA / TRF And TB chassis range. Although I´m no Formula E fan in any way, the assembled complete look is outstanding and I can´t find any comparisons on the market. And everything is way more solid and worthy as on a TT01/02. For 229€ at Seidel in Germany at the moment, you get real bang for the buck.

By the way, the pivot balls are not the same as TT01/02 and made of solid aluminum.

Also, you get body pins/ bumper mount and everything already within the kit to use std. touring car bodies or the Tamiya LMP body.

Go on Kevin, body work is a lot of work, my friend refused to do another for the next days.:lol:

• Like 3

@ruebiracer Couldn't agree more!! He did a magnificent job of presenting this Build! 👍👍👍👍👍

He easily sold this Chassis to several People who might have been on the fence. And yes, considering how it's designed, it's a bargain!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Very kind words 😊

I just came home and now have the body in front of me, but no motivation today. Tomorrow I will start cutting.

When I arrived home the first tuning part was in my mailbox:

a0902a53-f17f-44d8-bjijau.jpeg

Not something you would have guessed first I think 😁

• Like 3