Jump to content
ruebiracer

Building Wrenchdogs midmotor Dyna Storm

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

 The spring is a little stiffer for the front and weaker at the rear, to compensate for the shifted axle weights. All tribute sourcing them out to @Collin aka Wrenchdog!

Passing forward to @Origineelreclamebord who provides data and measured the original springs for me. Many of his advices flow into the Mid Dyna project. You never walk alone ; )

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Sunday I finished the electronics for the moment, and tempted a rollout in the garden:spacer.png

But it didn´t work as expected! I had a lot of powerloss going full throttle up the hills in the grass, and some whining noise. I thought: No wonder, the slipper clutch is new, so crank it down a bit more and let it settle in. But again, no success. Guess what: After some more tearing down, using the slipper clutch from my old Dyna and noticing a remarkable difference in the 2 manuals of the original and the Re-Re Dyna, it was the diff slipping!:ph34r::blink: I hadn´t dared to screw it enough, it seemed. Or it had settled in. As I had used AW grease, it still felt quite tight, maybe that was misleading my first adjustment. And here the difference in the manuals:spacer.pngThe BH 4 part in the Re-Re manual is flat against the spring, and pressing it´s smaller side towards the clutch. As I "borrowed" the slipper clutch assy from my old Dyna I thought, "hey, you assembled it wrong all the years!" (as I had it the other way round). But then, out of curiosity, I checked my original manual, where it is the other way round. So this was also misleading me, while adjusting on the BB5 nut. Not a big deal, but maybe some of you find that interesting too...

Some fun, jumps and rollovers later:

spacer.png

I had to stop, because after a "nose down" (had too much fear to hit the glasshouse for the tomatoes) the shorty became sliding towards the front and "repositioned" my servo, which I only had secured slightly in the variable position. (Tom gives you an adjusting range for the servo). So I stopped driving, which already got me the impressions I hoped: It was very reactive on steering, without being too twitchy. I drove my old Dyna also this year in the same garden, so I still had some impressions to compare. The grippy front spikes led sometimes to grip roll, when I went too hard, so have to try some ribs on the front to get a even closer comparison. But otherwise the car is great. The better O-rings make it even more absorbing. I think the front has to go up in damping, while the rear can go down a bit, due to the shifted spring stiffnesses compared to the kit springs. But I cannot stand the waiting to get this beast on a real buggy track hopefully next year.

So today I started masking and painting the shell:

spacer.png

I thought over and over about a color scheme as Tom and me ordered his great variation of Dyna Storm stickers at MCI. I decided to do a variation of boxart, as silver, Metallic blue (PS16) and some red contrasts are somehow my body colors on the cars I race with. My old Dyna just has a silver brushed paint job, so the Super Dyna has to stand out a little on this. I´m not sure, if I am going too much colors and ideas yet, but too late to stop now. Just continue and check the end result. In case there is the  possibility to use a second penguin shell. The original shell from the kit will be stored away as my treasure for bad times. (when there is no 3rd rerelease of the Dyna Storm.

Good night,

Matthias

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its necessary to stick some foam or rubber to the battery brace so the LiPo cant move. ;)

I am sorry for not have written a build manual. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Collin said:

Its necessary to stick some foam or rubber to the battery brace so the LiPo cant move. ;)

I am sorry for not have written a build manual. :D

Thank you Tom, but I was aware of it.:wacko: Just couldn´t wait anymore, so I just said to me "do it later".:lol: My fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinging of doing 3mm battery clamps (the one on the chassis) insteadof 1.5mm to keep the battery more in its position but I think its not necessary. Just the little gap to the top brace needs a layer of foam or rubber, thats all.

Nice rims, I had the same colours im my mind for a split second but didnt want to buy new ones just for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

spacer.pngThe BH 4

 

Thats a very interesting detail. I never mentioned this difference between rere and the original. Nice you found it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Collin said:

Thats a very interesting detail. I never mentioned this difference between rere and the original. Nice you found it.

I guess it is because of the ball bearing, that is serial at the Rere. So it´s ensured, the pressure only goes through the inner bearing ring, and not pressing on the outer ring at the same time. On the friction bearing of the original release, this fact doesn´t matter...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, @ruebiracer sorry, off topic BUT I stumbled across your video on youtube earlier of your Vanquish running around a nice big (albeit a bit overgrown?) track. It looked awesome (both the track and the buggy). Yours is a well setup Vanquish! I can now see why you enjoy them so much. Hopefully youngest mudlet will do better with the Vanquish than I did, she will be racing it in the next round of postal racing. Her new shell should be here this week too.

Anyway, keep up the good work on the Dyna Storm, your experience is always appreciated! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

 

I guess it is because of the ball bearing, that is serial at the Rere. So it´s ensured, the pressure only goes through the inner bearing ring, and not pressing on the outer ring at the same time. On the friction bearing of the original release, this fact doesn´t matter...

TR-15T also have plastic bearing and its build the other way around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mud4fun said:

Hey, @ruebiracer sorry, off topic BUT I stumbled across your video on youtube earlier of your Vanquish running around a nice big (albeit a bit overgrown?) track. It looked awesome (both the track and the buggy). Yours is a well setup Vanquish! I can now see why you enjoy them so much. Hopefully youngest mudlet will do better with the Vanquish than I did, she will be racing it in the next round of postal racing. Her new shell should be here this week too.

Anyway, keep up the good work on the Dyna Storm, your experience is always appreciated! :)

Hey, no problem @mud4fun , thank you so much for the kind words. It was last year, and is in fact the "Tamiya Euro Raceway" in Sonneberg, which is 66km away from where I live. It was already in the state, where the kids are doing the "Tamiya Germany finals" of the meanwhile DT03 Fightercup. My friends of our "TTSC-racing" series visited with some youngsters the track on a Sunday, where we did rent the track for us alone. Great fun. Love the track so much, as it is unlike the most newer buggy tracks and more like a 90´s dirt track. I think it´s perfect also for older models like the Vanquish, and has nice changing surfaces. Although my Vanquish was just in a "mule" state for testing, I was surprised (as you), how well it handled being just setted up by me on the bench. Was the first time for me on a real offroad track since 1993.:lol: But it was soo much fun, just as I was a kid in 1989, when I got my Vanquish for christmas. Will never forget that. I will present my overhauled Vanquish after finishing the Dyna. It even ran only on the original pin spike tires, so for sure there was far more potential by a more modern tire setup. But It was controllable, had steering as badword on the astro turf 180° and so easy to drive, that I could let my little nephew drive afterwards, with a little throttle turned down. What I can say is, that I used the ball diffs from the 2013 Egress in combination with the original centre diff from the Vanquish. ( I bought a complete Vajra kit when they were sold at Tamico for very low prices.) Motor is the same as I used here in the Dyna, and also the Tamiya TBLE02 ESC, running on 2s Lipo. For saving the drivetrain on jumps, I ran a Carisma 20T slipper pinion, which fits with in the Vanquish original gear box. So there is some overload protection for the drivetrain. 

Kind regards,

Matthias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ruebiracer I wish we had some tracks like that here, as you say, that is very close to how our buggy tracks used to be even back in the late 80's. :wub:

I ran my vanquish on wet grass in the last round and it actually did quite well on the grass. It was very smooth, had good handling, turned well and the suspension worked like a dream. It seems the setup was perfectly suited to bumpy dirt and grass which may explain why I had so many problems when we tried it on tarmac. It actually beat the Avante2001 on the grass! I will help my daughter make some changes to suspension geometry, tyres and gearing for the next round where she will run on tarmac. I bought a new sport tuned motor for it which I felt was a more practical option for my daughter while she learns to drive the car. The Dyna Run Super Touring motors are just way too quick and demand 110% concentration to avoid a costly crash.

I will see if I can source a slipper pinion too, 20T is quite tall gearing for our use though, we tend to run 18 or 19t pinions in the Avante class buggies because we have a tight garden track and the dyna runs prefer a smaller pinion. (a 19T pinion still gives them a 26-28mph top speed, depending on battery, which is plenty fast enough on tight tracks)

Looking forward to seeing your Vanquish :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At first, I have to finish the Super Dyna!:rolleyes:

Here a first glance of my painting process, quite messy on this already cold temperatures, a heatgun is my friend. Started with the PS16, followed by PS63 and black. Wanted to get a even shine by the black, as I have to do red next for the stripes. I took the MCI stripes from the custom sticker scheme as template, and transferred it to masking tape. Shape is quite accurate, and I was lucky to get no paint bleeds underneath, as far as it looked. Still undecided, if I should tint the windows, or if I should try to get a real "muddy Matthew" inside. As it will never see a hard competition, it could be worth the effort. What do you think? Seemed a bit strange for me first at this more modern Tamiya buggy, until I saw the RC Kicks Twin cockpit in an Egress, really a stunning idea, and looking much better than I´d thought...

Here the result of today:

spacer.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mud4fun said:

@ruebiracer I wish we had some tracks like that here, as you say, that is very close to how our buggy tracks used to be even back in the late 80's. :wub:

I ran my vanquish on wet grass in the last round and it actually did quite well on the grass. It was very smooth, had good handling, turned well and the suspension worked like a dream. It seems the setup was perfectly suited to bumpy dirt and grass which may explain why I had so many problems when we tried it on tarmac. It actually beat the Avante2001 on the grass! I will help my daughter make some changes to suspension geometry, tyres and gearing for the next round where she will run on tarmac. I bought a new sport tuned motor for it which I felt was a more practical option for my daughter while she learns to drive the car. The Dyna Run Super Touring motors are just way too quick and demand 110% concentration to avoid a costly crash.

I will see if I can source a slipper pinion too, 20T is quite tall gearing for our use though, we tend to run 18 or 19t pinions in the Avante class buggies because we have a tight garden track and the dyna runs prefer a smaller pinion. (a 19T pinion still gives them a 26-28mph top speed, depending on battery, which is plenty fast enough on tight tracks)

Looking forward to seeing your Vanquish :)

 

Thanks for your review on the grass run! Sounds promising! Unfortunately, the Carisma pinion is only available in 20T. But the 13,5t Brushless has the torque to not break in too much in rpm on rougher ground, and has anyway no heat problems. Definetely too much for the Dyna Run, but your daughters Sport tuned should be o.k. with the 20T. I remember using 21/23T with a Technigold on my Vanquish to keep up with my friends beginning of the 90`s.;)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2020 at 12:15 PM, Collin said:

I was thinging of doing 3mm battery clamps (the one on the chassis) insteadof 1.5mm to keep the battery more in its position but I think its not necessary. Just the little gap to the top brace needs a layer of foam or rubber, thats all.

Nice rims, I had the same colours im my mind for a split second but didnt want to buy new ones just for that.

Agree Tom, some foam on the brace is my plan to go!

Because of the rims, I´m still not sure if the blue fits to my metallic blue, or if I overstretched the Tamiya theme by it. (Twin stars, blue/red). I have a feeling, the complete red wheels will suit best, giving a kind of "special edition model" look.

And costly, it was even the way, that I bought a complete Fighter buggy kit to get the red wheels. (Haven´t found them as spares). But the kit will be a gift for my nephew next year to his birthday to compete in the Fighter Cup, if he wants to. (of course he will get another wheel set, or the white ones from my kit.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matthias, it IS a special edition model already, does not matter what rims you put on :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Muvro, still have to do some things, but I declare the body itself finished, maybe just some small stickers left:spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. So great. Colours fits excellent. Very well thought concept. Also that you used mainly the original parts keeps it very, very nice. Mine is cool too but through all the 3D printed parts it looses "a very lttle" on its charme.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Collin said:

Wow. So great. Colours fits excellent. Very well thought concept. Also that you used mainly the original parts keeps it very, very nice. Mine is cool too but through all the 3D printed parts it looses "a very lttle" on its charme.

Hey Tom, thank you! But you judge too hard on yours. On mine the original metallic blue is a little against the blue/red Tamiya theme, maybe a std. blue would have been better. Or I have to go all red or blue wheels and don´t try to do all in one. And the wing is difficult, think I will change my masking and make it a little easier. Want to feature all three colors again, but stopped painting while thinking it over. And the question for me, if I should put the Dyna Storm graphics on, or maybe go with a bigger Tamiya Logo...

But masking was working quite o.k., I had no bleeds this time. And the blue I only did 2 layers staying quite transparent. With the bright gunmetal followed by black behind, the blue has a intense shine, it´s really cool in the light. And I painted so many times PS16, but never got this shade before.;)

And thanks for the idea with the driver names, finally "muddy Matthew" will get on the track!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably blue front rims would be better or all black. I think so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, some months and one winter season later, I finally finished my rear wing. I kept it more in the shape of "modern" buggy wings with quite high downforce. But an unpainted rear wing, no way! So I just painted the original Dyna shape, and left the additional parts in clear to make it less visible from 2 meters away. This way I still can cut it down slightly to make it less downforce. Hope you get my intention. Dusted the main body off, and made finally some quick shots from the mid and from my unrestored original from the 90`s. So you can see the different look mid motor vs. rear motor! Got to love both, it´s just such an elegant car by Tamiya. Hope you like the end result, Matthias.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks awesome @ruebiracer ! Nice paint scheme, too!

Can you post pictures without body for the comparison, please?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

It looks awesome @ruebiracer ! Nice paint scheme, too!

Can you post pictures without body for the comparison, please?

Thanks Kevin, for the kind words!

In the meantime I put it in my showroom, but maybe I forgot to make a shot without body side by side to the rear motor original!:rolleyes:

Showroom entry

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:wub:

I was waiting so much for this photos, great that you finished the wing, finally. Also thanks for your comments posted in your showroom.

Now from the distance, I think the whole conversion still keeps the spirit of the Dyna Storm. It feels like it was made by Tamiya. I would love to have used Tamiya style aluminum poles between the upper and chassis deck instead of the premade one for use on drones, but that details would have blowen up costs too much.

But I have to admit, the rear of the orignal Dyna looks fantastic, the organic shape with the motor guard and the gear cover. The Mid Motor is a bit choped off, but no wonder, no motor there LOL.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...