Sign in to follow this  
Wetman

Gundam type markers

Looking for something to put fine line details onto lexan shells and was wondering if these are any good for polycarb? Can`t seem to find pc-5 black brush paint anywhere and my brushing skills arent that much kop anyway. Its for body lines and window edgings etc so taping will be fiddly and easily messed up, so i`m after something to do a better(and easier) job.

I bought a couple of these - one in dark grey and the other black. I havent had amazing success to be honest. They appear to be a little too transparent which may be because they are on a gloss plastic surface - maybe they need several passes with drying time in between, dunno - i just couldnt get them to look how i wanted. I think they would work better on a painted surface so the ink has something to stick to or show up on. My hands arent particularly steady anyway but I use 0.4mm kyosho or abc hobby micron tape for all of my kits that need panel lining. You can bend it around some quite reasonable curves - i hold it in place with a coctail stick and sort of push it into the shapes i need.

• Like 1

I think the lexan might be too "slippery" for the paint to adhere to; sanding the area would help but may not be possible if it's a really thin area.   Have you tried a "Sharpie" brand marker?  They come in different thicknesses and colors.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, manny said:

I think the lexan might be too "slippery" for the paint to adhere to; sanding the area would help but may not be possible if it's a really thin area.   Have you tried a "Sharpie" brand marker?  They come in different thicknesses and colors.

Had a go on an old pop bottle with some sharpies last night. left it to dry and see how it goes when i spray it ;ater

I did the kids mini lunchboxes the same style as their big one with Sharpie permanent markers. And it looked good for a while but did rub off after a while.

IMG_20200110_183649.jpg