markbt73

What would you make if you could?

It seems that some of us are progressing beyond the "buy kit, build kit" stage, and starting to think about making our own models, in the old Tamiya "Suitable For Radio Control" spirit. I know I am: I've already started planning a couple more scratch-built bodies, and I have a 1/8 scale Camaro model that will get converted to RC at some point, complete with scale-accurate chassis and suspension, and retaining the full interior.  And I've started looking at kits as sources for components, not finished products in their own right. (Actually, I've looked at Traxxas vehicles this way for about 20 years now... I kid, I kid...)

But once you have that dream shop set up, what would you want to make? Here's my list:

Citroën 2CV chassis: Tamiya's 2CV is front-wheel-drive, but that's where the similarities between it and the real thing end. If you've never seen the 2CV's suspension, look it up; it's a mechanical marvel. I've tried to build a working replica of it a couple of times, but the parts are too intricate for me to make by hand. It would have to be big, probably 1/5-1/8 scale, to be heavy enough for the suspension to work properly. And I'd want to make both 2CV and Méhari bodies for it. And then put an egg in the seat and drive it around the yard to see if it breaks...

Small FWD unibody car: I understand why everyone makes models of unibody cars as chassis-with-shell-on-top, but it is kind of a shame. I would love to build a scale-accurate RC unibody model of a small FWD car, complete with McPherson strut suspension. It would be a close call between a Fiat 128 and a Mk1 VW Scirocco. Maybe both...?

Marmon Wasp: I'm usually not too big on brass-era cars, but the very early race cars fascinate me. Those guys must have had enormous... nerve... to drive those things that fast. And growing up in the Midwest, I was steeped in Indy history from a young age. I'd love to build an RC model of the first Indy 500 winner.

Peugeot 205 Turbo 16: Who doesn't love Group B? The Pug was always my favorite, and I'd love to build one with a full interior detail and that big opening rear hatch. 4WD and mid-engine, of course, like the real thing. And robust enough to actually do a little "spirited" driving with it.

Formula Vee car: This one could actually be done with judicious use of SRB parts, I bet. In fact, if I ever get my hands on a basket-case SRB chassis, it's not a bad idea...

I could go on, but that's probably 20 years worth of work at the rate I build things, so I'll stop there. I am curious to know what's on other people's lists, though.

• Like 6

I'm pretty sure that my skill level will not be high enough even if I have a full equipped work shop, but I would like to do a Ford Model A Hot Rod and a Porsche 911 Carrera (964 and/or 993). Just a dream and it will not happen.

• Like 1

Our neighbor had a Cam-Am road bike but then he wrecked it. It was pretty neat and think it would make a cool RC. 

I have been amassing parts for a scale version of a tractor I saw at a local steam fair.
The challenge is a scratch build chassis and body. It is more complex than average (part of the appeal) but I am struggling to get the scale right with available tyres and axle widths.

EDIT: I forgot - my pipedream is a scale Caterham 7 / sevenesque roadster. 

• Like 1

For me, it would be a Dakar-style racing lorry of some sort, in 1/10 scale. I'd probably start with a MAN as it would be achievable with my current flat sheet styrene skillset, but I'd really like to be able to recreate the more curvaceous lines of a Kamaz or Tatra one day. Underpinnings would probably be WR-01 based, not at all scale, but tough and affordable so I wouldn't be scared to run it.

• Like 2

Good question, one that gave me pause to think, especially since I'm in the market for a benchtop milling machine (and a lathe, in time as well). A great deal of what initially jumps to mind are improvement parts for my current fleet of RCs. Usually its making better/stronger versions of stock parts from better materials that incorporate further changes for improved performance and longevity. There's always odds and ends and dress-up items to do as well : columns for a double deck chassis I'm working on for a Madcap or tube bumpers and such for a Clod or Blackfoot. Actual vehicles?

Monster trucks. I'd like to build replicas of Stage1-3 monster trucks. The first two aren't impossible with a smattering of off-the-shelf parts, but I'd really like to build an accurate functioning version of the first stage 3 truck, Bigfoot 8.  It was so above the other trucks when it debuted and I've wanted a fairly accurate miniature version since. Once that's done, maybe an Equalizer model as well.

Rally cars. Making scale versions of all the big players in Group B would be quite a task, but to me, nothing in four wheeled competition compares to them. Man and machine pushed to the absolute limits of their era.

Ultimate Lunch Box. I used to draw redesigned versions of my first Tamiya Lunch Box a lot as a kid. Admittedly, looking back at them now, I was highly inspired by the King Cab. So, in the end, I'd like to build a Lunch Box with the same physical "footprint" as the original, but with a miniaturized version of a King Cab-esque chassis underneath.

Buggy from scratch. There's a home-grown aspect  of the original RC10 that captivates me. Even the '89/'91 Stealth cars have that hand-made feel to them (in many respects they were). I'd like to take a swing at it myself. Being lodged in retro-land for the rest of my life means I wouldn't set out to build a modern-day track killer, but rather something similar to what I loved in the 80's with personal design features I'd like to incorporate.  

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I actually followed that build thread as it progressed - very inspiring! It was one of the builds that made me want to create my own Dakar lorry one day. 

• Like 1

Love to build an RC working scale model of my 1981 project TransAm, with a working v8 tpi engine.

Mainly as it would mean I've had a load of spare time, and the project TransAm is taxed and MOT'd.....🙄

This guy has already done the engine (Not keen on the DOHC though), and even running a megasquirt ecu!!

• Like 5

Assuming the workshop / tools / software / hardware / learning / experience issues are all worked out, I'd say there are three categories of projects I'd like to chase...

1. Continue to build commercial RC kits, but aspire to Truck Norris levels of detail and/or higher levels of creativity.  There are many talented builders on Tamiyaclub who are doing great things, but his work resonates with me the most.  From my point of view he picks interesting subjects, goes all-in on details, and does a great job photographing and presenting his work.  I have no desire to compete with him, but I aspire to be like him and take more pride in the kits I do build.  There would be a lot of focus here on making custom scale details to make these models pop.
  2. Take 1/24 scale model kits, enlarge them to 1/12 or 1/10, and make them RC.  I've been hunting down static model kits that feature cars my family and relatives have owned over the past 50 years, and I thought it would be cool to bring some of these to life.  For $20 it's a no-brainer to get a complete kit with body surfaces, bumpers, accurate wheels and tires, full interiors, etc. as a set of reference parts for doing modeling/printing/machining to make larger parts.  Combine the reference model kit with online photos, and it would be exciting to see some family history brought to life.  Will I be the only guy on the planet with a radio control AMC Gremlin?  How about a base Chevy Beretta?  There's always the Silverado my son is driving now, or the Honda Odyssey my kids rode in for decade...  These aren't exotic subjects; rather, they're personal ones.  They'd likely be very basic pan car chassis with lots of room for packaging all the cosmetic details of a large-scale model (think of the first 25 or so Tamiya RC models; current product isn't made like that any more).
  3. As my engineering career starts to wind down, I'd love to take all those years of experience in hardware, embedded software, control systems, communication systems, etc. and do a 1/24 pan car chassis for the scale model kits I'm collecting.  Right now the batteries, speed controls, motors, servos, receivers, etc. we're buying all come in some fairly large, fairly standard sizes.  I'd like to push myself a little on the engineering front and design a circuit board that integrates all the electronics and mechanisms and acts as the pan chassis at the same time.  Basically miniaturize the RC electronics and chassis, and then animate those 1/24 reference models I enlarged in #2.

It doesn't really matter if I succeed or not, what matters is to identify some exciting challenges and work towards them.  Make the hobby a journey, not an outcome.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to do some crazy aerodynamic stuff such as DRS, active aero, and fans a la Brabham BT46b and Chapparal 2J. I'm currently building up a Traxxas XO-1 and might have to try some of the aforementioned on it. I'd also do some ridiculous air-based builds: B-36, IL-76, Imperial Star Destroyer to name a few.  

• Like 1

Some exciting ideas from you Guys!! 👍👍

@TurnipJF - I've been considering that for a while! Not quite as elaborate (EXPENSIVE!!). I was thinking about Scratchbuilding the Body out of Styrene and Aluminum - and sitting it on a CC-01 Chassis. The limited Suspension travel would actually help realism of such a Rig.   I've seen the Tekin Build, at a Pro-Line By the Fire, RC Scaler/Crawler Event. QUITE elaborate and well engineered!! 

@Wooders28 - I've been thinking about that more recently. A 1/10th or 1/8th Scale 69 Camaro static Kit. It was my first Car. 😊  There's a very Scale looking Drivetrain that could be modified to make a Model MOVE!

The inspiration really hit me at the same Pro-Line Event!  There are products made for the Scaler Truck crowd... Like THESE from RC4WD and SSD - 

IMG_20200823_160247.thumb.jpg.0400cb663f50e98c6ae28acc3d5e61d6.jpg

RC4WD and SSD make similar Scale Transmissions, that look very close to an old 4-Speed - or even a more modern 5-Speed Manual. Either is about $150 USD, designed to fit on the Frame Rails of a SCX10 or Element Sendero Truck Chassis. Very adaptable though.  There's also a Scale Transfer Case, that bolts to the Tailshaft, just like the REAL thing, if you're doing a 4X4.

IMG_20200823_160456.thumb.jpg.11c86ac57bd592cd06defde29b8f24c6.jpg

First option for an "Engine". All Metal... Looks GREAT... EXPENSIVE!!! It's just what you see, Block, Heads, Valve Covers, Intake and Air Filter. No ancillary parts.

IMG_20200823_160408.thumb.jpg.09d2dab8ed4aee3e28eecb802cf8c1a4.jpg

..... The Measurements for how much space you'll need...

IMG_20200823_160642.thumb.jpg.7e1268c8860a53263b8107df6923e15f.jpg

A couple of Guys also offer 3D Printed "Motors" at a drastically lower Price!! They have great detail - and unlike the RC4WD.... ALL accessories included! 

IMG_20200823_160725.thumb.jpg.b8099fb85cbb551f63b73c14c5eb9241.jpg

THE Rear view....  THIS is how it works. A 540 Motor slips into the back of it, after being fitted to the Transmission. The "Motor" regardless of Transmission chosen, bolts to the Bellhousing, just like the REAL one would!! 😊

..... Most of our Driveshafts have dual U-Joints, just like the real ones.

And sturdier than they'll EVER need to be, are Axles available in multiple widths. They look really good too!! 👍👍

ssd-ssd00263-9-800x800_0.thumb.jpg.dd532ce82cad07b6e824cea89b426f98.jpg

The whole Drivetrain is THERE any available... I just need the CAR!! 😖

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Assuming the workshop / tools / software / hardware / learning / experience issues are all worked out, I'd say there are three categories of projects I'd like to chase...

1. Continue to build commercial RC kits, but aspire to Truck Norris levels of detail and/or higher levels of creativity.  There are many talented builders on Tamiyaclub who are doing great things, but his work resonates with me the most.  From my point of view he picks interesting subjects, goes all-in on details, and does a great job photographing and presenting his work.  I have no desire to compete with him, but I aspire to be like him and take more pride in the kits I do build.  There would be a lot of focus here on making custom scale details to make these models pop.
  2. Take 1/24 scale model kits, enlarge them to 1/12 or 1/10, and make them RC.  I've been hunting down static model kits that feature cars my family and relatives have owned over the past 50 years, and I thought it would be cool to bring some of these to life.  For $20 it's a no-brainer to get a complete kit with body surfaces, bumpers, accurate wheels and tires, full interiors, etc. as a set of reference parts for doing modeling/printing/machining to make larger parts.  Combine the reference model kit with online photos, and it would be exciting to see some family history brought to life.  Will I be the only guy on the planet with a radio control AMC Gremlin?  How about a base Chevy Beretta?  There's always the Silverado my son is driving now, or the Honda Odyssey my kids rode in for decade...  These aren't exotic subjects; rather, they're personal ones.  They'd likely be very basic pan car chassis with lots of room for packaging all the cosmetic details of a large-scale model (think of the first 25 or so Tamiya RC models; current product isn't made like that any more).
  3. As my engineering career starts to wind down, I'd love to take all those years of experience in hardware, embedded software, control systems, communication systems, etc. and do a 1/24 pan car chassis for the scale model kits I'm collecting.  Right now the batteries, speed controls, motors, servos, receivers, etc. we're buying all come in some fairly large, fairly standard sizes.  I'd like to push myself a little on the engineering front and design a circuit board that integrates all the electronics and mechanisms and acts as the pan chassis at the same time.  Basically miniaturize the RC electronics and chassis, and then animate those 1/24 reference models I enlarged in #2.

It doesn't really matter if I succeed or not, what matters is to identify some exciting challenges and work towards them.  Make the hobby a journey, not an outcome.

I really like where you're going with #2 and 3... since I started collecting static kits, my favorites have been the "ordinary" cars; I have a Chevy Cavalier and a Dodge Omni 024 and an '87 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, among others. There is a world beyond Corvettes, Mustangs, and '57 Bel Airs...

And I assume you've seen Make It RC? Eventually I'll get around to ordering one of their kits... but if you have a 3D printer already, I think you can just buy the files from him.

• Like 4

If I had a "dream shop",  I'd (try) to make the following:

1)  Updated Tamiya Falcon based on Zahak chassis and tack on a yellow roll cage around the rear motor/transmission pod

2) 4wd ORV chassis using the same gearbox designs front and rear with MIP diffs in each 

3) Updated Avante including Avante body/driver/under tray based on TRF 503 chassis, blue anodizing stripped to grey

4) Clodbuster with stretched aluminum chassis, matching length plastic body and oil shocks

5) Lunchbox based on proper length 4wd crawler rail chassis, moon window body, sick painted mural and full shag-A-delic interior

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dream garage would contain legendary cars of fifties Le Mans races. 1/12 scale Jaguar C and D types, Aston Martin AMR1,  Ferarri and Mercedes cars. Imagine a race class with these cars. However I do not have the skills to make these cars.

• Like 2

Hmm, very good question.  One I thought I'd be really excited to answer, but actually, right now I can't think of anything.  Maybe that's because I feel I've got so much unfinished stuff that I don't really want to add anything else even to my fantasy list!

It's tempting to think I'd want more cool gadgets in the workshop.  For example, I've always wanted a lathe.  Imagine how easy it would be to turn up spacers or solid suspension links if I had a lathe.  Except, I have no idea how to work a lathe.  I've had no training and I'm not an engineer.  Like all of these things, there would undoubtedly be a steep and expensive learning curve.  It's tempting to think I could turn up my own wheels, but actually, I could only turn the hubs.  I'd need a milling machine to make the hexes and cut out the spokes.  Given how repetitive it must be to make the same product 4 times (or more - for a big rig!), I'd really want a CNC mill.  But then I'm in for thousands, which I doubt I'd ever get back even if I opted to manufacture and sell online.

I make the recurring mistake of thinking my life will be so much easier if I only get <product>.  In July it was a colour laser printer.  I used to print my own decals when I had access to a colour laser in the office, but those days are long gone.  We had a colour inkjet for a while, but got sick of the inherent limited shelf life in inkjet printers.  Bizarrely, for a product designed for lower use, inkjets hate being left unused - I have probably thrown out 5+ colour inkjets over the years (some rather expensive) because they went unused for 6 months and then wouldn't print.  Plus inkjet ink isn't waterproof, and I've got a selection of cars with runny decals because I ran them in the rain.

So I bought a colour laser.

And now my life is full of the stress of laser ownership.  Like, it chews up one in two decals sheets I feed in - and laser decal sheets have got really expensive in the last few years.  And the results aren't quite as good as proper screen print, and of course I have to design my colour schemes around the printers limitations - i.e. anything printed on clear must go on a light-coloured surface, and anything printed on white much have the shell colour blocked in or be a block-type design that's easy to trim around.

Same with my 3D printer - I went with a resin printer because of the fine quality finish it promised.  I saw someone producing good-looking resin wheels and thought I could do that.  And I designed some very good looking wheels.  Unfortunately they proved too fragile even for a display car - so much so they shattered just trying to trim off the support material.  This is the big drawback of the resin printer - the finish is perfect on the bottom face but everywhere else is covered in support material and wavery finishes.  Designing the wheels was fun and largely easy once I'd got the basics - but designing a wheel that can be printed evenly, without warping, have an attractive front-face and a smooth rear face suitable for fitting to a hex, is much harder.  This is the barrier that has stopped me on most of my 3D print journeys.

I imagine owning a lathe and CNC mill would promise lots but mostly deliver lots of hard learning, stress and more desk-work.

• Like 3

@Killajb Nice ideas! 👍👍 

I used to Compete with Clods... Mostly Sled Pulling.  The whole RC Crawler Revolution began with Guys like us, cutting up Clods - either fabricating an Aluminium or Steel Chassis, or buying one of a few ready made Clod Chassis Kits. As early as 1990 (when I competed in Truck/Tractor Pulling), several Clod specific Parts were available. STEERING Kits were and STILL are the most popular!! 😊  Because the standard Tamiya Clod Steering, was ABYSMAL at best!!! 😖😡👎👎 

2 main variations were - Single Axle Lockout. So only two Wheels would steer. (Popular with us Pullers, where too much Steering, or EXTREMELY SLOPPY Steering would cause a loss of control, veer off to the side, and LOSE. Also not very SAFE while you've got anywhere from 200-650lbs behind your Truck!!! 😳 

The other was (and STILL is), Axle Mounted Servo Brackets. Like the Name implies, this put one Servo on EACH Axle!! 😎   That eliminated the single, LOW powered Servo in the middle, that HORRIBLE Servo Saver, and the two thin Steering Links going to each Axle - to ANOTHER Servo Saver on EACH AXLE!!!! 😖😭😭😭 

Instead, a Servo was mounted on the end of each Axle, with a single Draglink going to the C-Hub, like the Original Rod did.  It finally answered the promise when it FIRST came out.... TRUE 4-Wheel STEERING!!!  And with a 4 Channel Radio, you could Steer JUST front, just rear - or even CRAB STEER!!! 😊😁😁

So, even though I'll bet it's fun to still do fabrication on a Clod (someday I'LL find out!)... If you look around, there's already a few cool Clodbuster Bits out there - including Chassis Kits - up to a 16" Wheelbase!!! 😎👍👍

ALSO... OK, Lunchies ARE fun to fiddle with!! Lots of possibilities there. Besides, I've always believed that everyone in the Hobby should try a Lunchbox and Grasshopper at LEAST once!!

HOWEVER if it's "FULL LENGTH" Chassis you're looking for - get an old, used Gen 1 SCX10 Chassis. Since the SCX10 III came out a few Months ago, the old ones are near obsolete, and selling fairly cheap...

And for durability, Pro-Line FINALLY released its 1/9th Scale "Rock Van", for all 12.3" Crawler Chassis!!

Screenshot_2020-08-24-02-44-14.thumb.png.f25302cedcdf61a7a3bc4a2bf66dba79.png

BTW.... CONTRARY to popular belief - Axial, Element, TRAXXASS, Losi, GMade, Carisma and others in this Class - ARE actually 1/9th Scale!!  Don't believe me, park a true 1/10th Scale CC-01 next to any of those. 😲😜

Why their STILL called 1/10, is beyond most of us who actually care......  

About 5 yrs ago I started to shift away from trying to drive my cars to trying to work out how to make parts. So I have lots of plans, not a lot of skill, but lots of plans, but I'm patient :blink:

So in some sort or order:

1. vac form some car bodies - I can kinda do this now, with a home vac former I've built, but I need to do some more upgrades. I have a new vacuum pump to install, as well as a better heater controller. I can vac form PETG, it's pretty easy to use, even on a very basic machine. I would however like to form polycarbonate and ABS, so that means better temp control and better suction.

2. and so I'll need to make some car bucks to vac form. I have tried plaster casting existing bodies, which is do-able, however I'd like to 3D print or machine somehow my own cars. I have tried this with a Volvo 850.

3. make parts on the lathe/mill. I've been able to do some of this lately, like machining some rims for my Land Freeder and some hornet wheel adapters. I am still very much a newbie machinist though. 

4. make chassis plates and body panels from pressed metal. I've had a couple of goes, but I think it'll take me a while before I can make anything decent

5. I too like to collect static model kits and I have collected 1/24th scale versions of cars I'd like to build in 1/10th scale, plus a few others of course!

6. Some individual projects include:

-  Ford Cortina - done up as Ford Cortina GT Mk I 1964 East African Safari Rally driven by P. Hughes. For this and the other 2 Escorts, I'd like to make the chassis for them, bodies will be 3D printed.

- Ford Escort Mk 1 - done up as the 1972  Hannu Rally Escort

- Ford Escort Mk 2 - done up as some sort of black and red Mcrae version

- Ford XB Falcon - an Australian 70s muscle car.

- Pantera De Tomaso GTS - I have a polycarbonate body that I want to add pop-up lights too as well as machining some rims. I've already had a go at doing pop-ups that work on the 3rd channel, but it needs improving to be reliable.

- Delorean - I had initially wanted to 3D print the body, but have only recently found and bought a vac formed one. I'll replace the front nose cone and back though. I'd like to do a pressed metal version at some stage.

- BTCC Volvo 850 station wagon - I got as far as machining a body on my little cnc machine in pine, but it needs a lot of sanding and filling to get a smooth body to vac form.

- Audi BTCC - I have both the old and new kit. I intend on making light buckets, machining the rims (I've already done up the plans for them and worked out how I will do them on the lathe then mill). Plus adding in some detail to body.

- Datsun 510 SSS - I have the shell and intend on again doing the rally version

- Mini Jem - this one I'll have to scratch build. It was a fibreglass kit car in the late 60s and early 70s that use a Mini as the donor car. Dad built a few of them when I was a young lad.

Plus I have way too many other restorations to do, but they are most of the main ones.

I also take a lot of inspiration from a model maker, Gerald Wingrove, he has some very detailed books on the cars he produced and uses minimal tools to make some truely stunning scale models.

I know I am aiming for both too many projects and too high a quality, but I'm happy to chip away trying to make stuff and then trying to make it better. At least I'll never be bored!

Equipment wise, I've also been fortunate in that the last couple of years I've been about to buy the tools I've wanted for a long time. Both a lathe and mill, as well as a laser cutter, 3D printer and a desktop cnc machine. I use these for work and get the added benefit for applying them when I can to RC parts.

• Like 2