Sign in to follow this  
foz75

Suspension shaft lengths

It might just be my ignorance, or not knowing where to look so sorry if that's the case! I've seen lots of suspension shaft sets available, all of them state model or chassis compatibility, but how to find one that fits a specific car that isn't listed? I want to build my Novafox with shafts instead of screw pins, but don't know which set I need... According to the manual, I need four 3x46mm and eight 3x32mm screw pins. What would be the equivalent in suspension shafts? And which set do I need? Thanks!

First of all, you should check your wishbones, how wide they really are! Background: on many old Tamiyas the screws do either not fully protrude the wishbone or are even longer. This could lead you to search for the wrong length of suspension shafts.

The shafts are mostly measured end to end, so you add at least 2,5-4mm shaft length for the c-clips on both ends.

Unfortunately, there is no Tamiya list anywhere to my knowledge with length reference to search shafts. The best library is for me modellbau-seidel.de, where you can search for e.g. 3x48mm, and many shafts from different Tamiya models appear. So you can choose according price and availability, which Tamiya no. suits you most!

For the very old cars, there are usually no replacement sets for the screws available, so you have to dig everything out for yourself. That´s the fun of customizing.:D

Kind regards,

Matthias