jonboy1

Barney's Amazing Sand Scorcher Resto (not by Barney)

Nice reverse resto @jonboy1, I was only thinking a few hours ago I hadn’t seen much activity from you on here for a while, and here you are, good to see your OK 👍🏻

You’d best get that grubby thing off the table though before the missus see’s it 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, first things first, I forgot to load up pictures of the patina bug all finished (ie: with the licence plates added) so here it is:

IMG_2154 IMG_2155 IMG_2156 IMG_2157

Right, now that's done, on with the other one....

This was to be a fully standard, sympathetic resto - think along the lines of it being built when it was new, and then cherished, but gently used, most of the time sitting in a nice display cabinet.

So, we need a starting point:

IMG_1642 IMG_1647

That'll do. So off we go with the strip down, clean and buff. Then we'll get started on the car.

The chassis was actually in very nice condition, and it was pretty much all "mk1" - except for the bumper that was missing, the wheels, resistor and the exhaust. Most of the rubber parts were well past their best, so they got replaced and everything was treat to a little care and attention.

IMG_2200

The bumper is an original black item which I think Barney had attached to a previous build (honestly can't remember) that I traded him some work for, then traded him back for a Ranger box so it could go on this. The resistor cage and exhaust came from my spares, the resistor from the very kind @kevtherev and the wheels and tyres from the lovely Tony Tamiya. :) Now, normal people would be fine with new wheels as they were. Not Barney. Or me for that matter. So I set about trying to make them look a bit older. After several attempts I worked out a way to get them ever so slightly yellowed. Hard to notice on their own but when you put them next to a standard one:

IMG_2182

it's still not very noticeable - but I know it's there! ;)

There wasn't any age correct radio gear with this, so that came largely from my spares, with everything thoroughly cleaned and resoldered where needed:

IMG_2201

With that all done it was time to get on with the body.

There was very little repair work to do, only really requiring a little fix around the front mount hole and a few little nicks and marks. Being an original it was never going to be French Blue, so we went with the same blue as on the patina bug but bright white would've looked a bit stark, so a slightly creamy white was picked, and I think they look great against each other. Stickers were from the ever reliable MCI Racing.

edit: discovered I had some pictures of it in progress, added here:

IMG_2171 IMG_2170 IMG_2169 IMG_2173 IMG_2174

I actually ended up repainting the white after these pics as I wasn't happy with the finish. I think my spray booth had some blue paint dust in it so when I put the clear coats on I got blue flecks in it. I also noticed a little blemish in the side of the nose cone, so that got fixed and repainted at the same time. But hey, I love doing these Scorchers, so it was no chore at all to mask it all back up and repaint it!! 🙄

So a repaint, polish, detail and final assembly later:

IMG_2237

The original door handles were touched up with a little new chrome. The only new bits of trim were the front lights and windscreen wipers. The wing mirrors were a little homebrew that came out really nicely, quite happy with them! The driver was given a proper boxart look.

IMG_2240 IMG_2241

And there we have it - finally finished and off to its new home :) 

Edited by jonboy1
added progress pics I found
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

@jonboy1 you do incredible work!! Nice attention to detail with things like yellowed Wheels, and the Driver!! 👍👍😎

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, barneys66 said:

Just amazing.  Simply amazing.

Right, what's next..?!

Come on Jon , what's next

Drunk man sleeping in park. On wooden bench royalty free stock images

• Haha 4

thanks for all the kind comments guys - makes all the hours squinting and cursing worth while :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1