Gazzalene

RCmart, UK users

When buying from RCmart in the UK what is the duty cost now?  I know £12 handling is about right for courier/royal mail BUT what is the allowace before tax and the tax % please?

Never been hit with a duty charge from rcmart in 20 or so orders over the last two years.

Probably cursed myself saying that now.

I never did but I always selected HKPS. Now I don’t think that’s available now and only courier service. Since then people seem to be hit for charges👿

Must have had over 50 kits in over 4 years, never any customs to pay. All seemed to sail through until Covid kicked in.

Kit ordered 22nd March. Customs duty to Parcelforce. £8.11 and £12 handling fee. Finally got it delivered Mid May.

I see RC mart have a ebay shop with free shipping,works out same cost as shop almost,trying to decide which to use?

On topic - yeah, plenty orders of various sizes, I don't recall being stung/caught.

However, I'm waiting on two orders from the beginning of July. Can see them on the tracking as having left China on the 20th of July. Never landed?

other things later than that have arrived, so I hold out hope. I don't imagine the process of sorting that out and getting money/parts back is going to be pleasant

18 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

On topic - yeah, plenty orders of various sizes, I don't recall being stung/caught.

However, I'm waiting on two orders from the beginning of July. Can see them on the tracking as having left China on the 20th of July. Never landed?

other things later than that have arrived, so I hold out hope. I don't imagine the process of sorting that out and getting money/parts back is going to be pleasant

It’s possible the earlier packages where sent regular mail, they really only forced you to use courier as of start of August. My last 3-4 parcels all arrived in 4-5 days. Of course freight cost is double what it used to be. But regular mail used to take 14-17 days pre COVID. If I used regular mail now I’d expect 8 weeks +

5 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

It’s possible the earlier packages where sent regular mail, they really only forced you to use courier as of start of August. My last 3-4 parcels all arrived in 4-5 days. Of course freight cost is double what it used to be. But regular mail used to take 14-17 days pre COVID. If I used regular mail now I’d expect 8 weeks +

Yeah, I always pick the cheap option :)
All the parcels were sent
SF-Express E-Parcel, so they all have tracking. Just odd for it to sit unprocessed in the UK for 5 weeks. Early covid fair enough, but are things still borked now?

Japan & China orders are a lottery, I got a Clod through no problem but a brushless motor got a load of duty & charges added. 

On 8/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, Gazzalene said:

When buying from RCmart in the UK what is the duty cost now?  I know £12 handling is about right for courier/royal mail BUT what is the allowace before tax and the tax % please?

4.7% duty & 20% VAT.  These rates haven't changed.  Remember the shipping costs get taxed as well as the item costs.  Add the import duty and then add the VAT onto the price after the import duty has been applied.  Whether or not you get charged is not down to the vendor but UK customs.  The vendor may not state the true price to try and minimise the tax payable but you shouldn't ask them to do that and customs could always open the package to see what it is and charge what they think is appropriate. It is best to assume you will get charged when pricing up things so if you don't or get charged less than you thought it is a bonus.

No VAT or import duty payable under £39 (icludes postage).  VAT and no import duty £39-£135 (includes postage).  VAT & import duty over £135 (includes postage).

If anyone wants to see the import duty and VAT rates for importing any goods check out https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections This is the official government document showing all the rates and which countries they apply to.

18 minutes ago, Wongataa said:

No VAT or import duty payable under £39 (icludes postage).  VAT and no import duty £39-£135 (includes postage).  VAT & import duty over £135 (includes postage).

If anyone wants to see the import duty and VAT rates for importing any goods check out https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/sections This is the official government document showing all the rates and which countries they apply to.

You're quoting trade there.

For non-commercial,  https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

VAT

You pay VAT on goods sent from non-European Union (EU) countries and EU special territories (eg the Canary Islands) if they’re:

• gifts worth more than £39
  • other goods worth more than £15
  • alcohol, tobacco products and fragrances (eg perfume, eau de toilette and cologne) of any value

You have to pay VAT on all goods sent by mail order from the Channel Islands no matter what their value.

You’ll be charged at the VAT rate that applies to your goods. VAT is charged on the total value, including:

• the price paid for the goods
  • postage, packaging and insurance
  • any duty you owe

So VAT is payable on any goods not marked as a gift, once the value is over £15.
Once VAT is chargeable, so is the clearing fee from Royal Mail/ParcelForce/Other Courier

• Like 2

I just received a FF04 Evo from RCMart, they marked it as a gift worth $50...I didn't ask them to, no idea about insurance if it went missing or anything though. But that may be why people aren't getting caught?