Alexei

Savox low profile servo

looking at servos for my FF-03, and has narrowed down to something from either Savox or Futaba, depending price. would prefer low profile for my FF-03 because of how it is mounted on this chassis.

the Savox 1251MG looks like the best option, but i read somebody say Savox low profile servos wear out faster. got no idea if thats true, i havent even used Savox before, so some input would be good.

I can't really speed for the reliability of the Savox other than it has replacement gear sets readily available. Because of that, I would not worry too much about its life cycle. Anyway, I am rather familiar with Futaba's servo line and the cheapest current low profile servo, S9570SV, is almost twice the price of the Savox at roughly 100 euros.

13 minutes ago, Alexei said:

looking at servos for my FF-03, and has narrowed down to something from either Savox or Futaba, depending price. would prefer low profile for my FF-03 because of how it is mounted on this chassis.

the Savox 1251MG looks like the best option, but i read somebody say Savox low profile servos wear out faster. got no idea if thats true, i havent even used Savox before, so some input would be good.

I have a couple in offroad buggies and they have been going strong for a few years now, and I bought them secondhand. They're now in my sons race cars so I haven't checked for excessive play but they are still working fine.

What are you using the FF03 for? I have been trying cheaper servos and in low profile there is the Trackstar D99X, JX 4409MG and a SPT 4412LV which I am putting in my FF04. All have similar specs to the Savox for a fraction of the price.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Gazebo said:

I can't really speed for the reliability of the Savox other than it has replacement gear sets readily available. Because of that, I would not worry too much about its life cycle. Anyway, I am rather familiar with Futaba's servo line and the cheapest current low profile servo, S9570SV, is almost twice the price of the Savox at roughly 100 euros.

the S9570SV was just the one i was considering with Futaba, and had ordered it to a very nice price (64€) yesterday, only to get a message from the shop today telling the price was and error. so that got too expensive.

35 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I have a couple in offroad buggies and they have been going strong for a few years now, and I bought them secondhand. They're now in my sons race cars so I haven't checked for excessive play but they are still working fine.

What are you using the FF03 for? I have been trying cheaper servos and in low profile there is the Trackstar D99X, JX 4409MG and a SPT 4412LV which I am putting in my FF04. All have similar specs to the Savox for a fraction of the price.

the FF-03 is for street bashing. would prefer to buy something in good quality within my budget of max 65€, and to be able to buy it at my local hobby shop. Savox 1251 or 1252 sounds as the best option right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Alexei said:

the S9570SV was just the one i was considering with Futaba, and had ordered it to a very nice price (64€) yesterday, only to get a message from the shop today telling the price was and error. so that got too expensive.

the FF-03 is for street bashing. would prefer to buy something in good quality within my budget of max 65€, and to be able to buy it at my local hobby shop. Savox 1251 or 1252 sounds as the best option right now.

Although some complain from time to time in the beginning of Savöx, my friend sold a lot of them in our local racing series to people, and we may have had 1 return due some problems. I have several in my onroad race cars but also in my Monster Beetle and never had a fail. They still feel precise and strong and reliable returning to centre position and give a good straight on stability while driving. I even built one in the monster beetle of my nephew, and he´s my best abuse tester. As the 1251 and 1252 are not self locking by the gears, they are very durable on getting impacts compared to old std. servos. In combination with the Tamiya High torque servo saver or some decent stuff from Kimbrough or Xray, you will never have a gear fail I´d say.  

If you do higher level racing, there are probably alternatives that are even quicker today, but in Germany many club level racers still rely on the Savöx 1251MG, that´s also a reason, why the prices never dropped much over the years. For bashing in an FF03 it´s a reasonable choice in my eyes...

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

I have a few in my low-end race cars and I love them.  I crash a lot and I've never broken one.  Quoted speeds are often not as fast as some cheaper servos but, importantly, they can actually achieve the speeds they quote.  I've given up on cheaper brands recently because although they say they are faster on the box, they just can't achieve those speeds in the real world.

Even the entry-level full-size servo is a favourite option in my race cars.  I'm sure they're faster than they say they are.

The only thing I would advise is a power cap - when turning fast in twisty sections (or wiggling the steering on the start line) the radio will sometimes brown out and the car will go dead.  I don't have this problem with other servos, so I guess Savox are power-hungry.

• Like 2

does brown out damage the electronics? im going to use a Lipo battery, so i dont know if that would fix something like that.

On 8/27/2020 at 5:03 AM, Alexei said:

The SPT as suggested by @Jonathon Gillham is of good quality. I know you probably don't trust unheard brands but servos from Power HD, and SPT can out perform many of the branded ones including Savox and Futaba. I have two Power HD servos, and four SPT 4412LV. None of them had issues and they all work great which are used mostly for bashing and rally racing. In my FF-03 Pro-R, I'm using the Power HD L12HV and it's one of the fastest servos in the market. Low profile, coreless motor, titanium gears and all-aluminum casing for only $60. The Power HD and SPT are definitely true to their specs written in the box.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alexei said:

does brown out damage the electronics? im going to use a Lipo battery, so i dont know if that would fix something like that.

A brown-out won't damage the electrics but if you're mid-race you'll lose control of the car.  Servo control usually comes back in a few seconds but that's long enough to go off track or take out another racer.

8 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

A brown-out won't damage the electrics but if you're mid-race you'll lose control of the car.  Servo control usually comes back in a few seconds but that's long enough to go off track or take out another racer.

Really, I never heard one of my friends brown out their cars with a Savöx. The early Power HD had that phenomenon and were power hungry. 

What ESC/ Transmitter are you using? Probably your BEC combo has a flaw.

I use the Savöx with my 2010 Futaba T3PM up to Sanwa MX5 and MT4 and MT44 with all kind of ESC´s, and had never lost the control or a slowed steering.;)

And we even did an 25h endurance run with a Savöx 1251.

@ruebiracer I use Hobbywing or Etronix Probe WP ESCs in my basic racers. I think the chief culprit is the ORX receivers that I use with my DX3C handset. They probably don't have the resilience of a genuine spektrum 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

The SPT as suggested by @Jonathon Gillham is of good quality. I know you probably don't trust unheard brands but servos from Power HD, and SPT can out perform many of the branded ones including Savox and Futaba. I have two Power HD servos, and four SPT 4412LV. None of them had issues and they all work great which are used mostly for bashing and rally racing. In my FF-03 Pro-R, I'm using the Power HD L12HV and it's one of the fastest servos in the market. Low profile, coreless motor, titanium gears and all-aluminum casing for only $60. The Power HD and SPT are definitely true to their specs written in the box.

im open to suggestions, but i would prefer something i can buy at my hobby shop. i know they have Futaba and Savox there, not sure about other brands but will look around.

9 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

ok, but whether it is racing or bashing, it would still be annoying. im using a Futaba 4PM and Futaba recievers, so maybe i shouldnt have any problems.

• Like 1