esmuz

DT-03 Dampers questions and replacement

Hey, I am building my DT-03 neo fighter and have some questions about the dampers. The kit includes the oil version ones.

I noticed there are three small disk pieces with one two and three holes, which I understand are pistons you can chose to fine tune the dampers, but there is no mention in the instructions on how to use them.. and the included axle already has a metallic piston.. Any idea? 

I am not totally happy with these dampers, specially the rear ones seem to be quite soft. So I am looking to replace them for something better, aluminium oil filled ones, do I have to find specific DT-03 ones or can I use any others with the same specs? Any suggestions? 

I found these, but there's no mention about them being oil filled or just friction.. 

https://www.asiatees.com/display?id=102569&brand=Tamiya&model=DT-03

Thanks!

Edited by esmuz
error

From what I've read the DT03 comes with overly soft and droopy dampers on the rear out of the box. The best and most popular fix would be to invest in a set of Tamiya DF03 aluminum dampers. I have a set (albeit on an actual DF03) and I can vouch for their quality.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the actual damper, just the spring rate. They work really nicely with a stiffer spring front and rear. I used DF-03 spring pack which come with three choices, all stiffer than the stick ones. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, esmuz said:

I noticed there are three small disk pieces with one two and three holes, which I understand are pistons you can chose to fine tune the dampers, but there is no mention in the instructions on how to use them.. and the included axle already has a metallic piston.. Any idea? 

I am not totally happy with these dampers, specially the rear ones seem to be quite soft.

In b4 Cy - 

These are the lower spec versions of the classic CVA damper. The piston is integral to the shaft so you can't change the piston head, meaning you can't tune the damping out of the box. 

Two options 

- upgrade the parts so that you can fine tune the damper, or
- replace the whole lot 

I'd look in to the cost of acquiring the damper shafts and e-clips that allow you to use the alternate piston heads. At the same time, you can upgrade the seals on your dampers to the red versions for better oil retention. Also get some stiffer springs if you don't like the spring rate out of the box. Then you have some great but not too pricey shocks. 

If you want to replace the whole lot, as above, DF03 dampers are a good shout. They are very long so will need the short ends and some internal spacers. These are excellent but not inexpensive! 

HTH!

I suggest you checkout my buggy damper thread, virtually all the options listed will fit.  My vote is df03 dampers not cheap but worth every cent.

If you dont want to get a whole new set of dampers, get the DF03 damper parts bag. Its comes with the better red o-rings, harder springs and rod that allow you to fit the plastic pistons.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:19 AM, bikerclubby said:

Nothing wrong with the actual damper, just the spring rate. They work really nicely with a stiffer spring front and rear. I used DF-03 spring pack which come with three choices, all stiffer than the stick ones. 

Thanks for the advice, I started by using the included spacers and it feels much better now, still for the first "squeeze" I can feel a pretty strong resistance, like when you don't use a car for a long period.  I guess red o-rings might help.

On 8/28/2020 at 3:26 PM, matisse said:

If you dont want to get a whole new set of dampers, get the DF03 damper parts bag. Its comes with the better red o-rings, harder springs and rod that allow you to fit the plastic pistons.

That sounds like a nice option, thanks!

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, Juls1 said:

I suggest you checkout my buggy damper thread, virtually all the options listed will fit.  My vote is df03 dampers not cheap but worth every cent.

Wow, such an amazing work! 

As you seem to be an expert on this topic, may I ask you as a total newbie, what should I take in account when looking for dampers for the DT-03 specifically? 

There are lots of dampers in the market besides the Tamiya ones, but I can't figure out if those would fit the car..

Just total lenght?  which are the lengths for a DT03? What about the eyelets? I come from a late 80's Kyosho Shadow 4WD and dampers had ball connectors that seem to be much better than the simple screw that uses the DT-03.. the damper is very lose. 

Lots of questions I know! 

Thanks.