TurnipJF

This is my M-08. There are many like it but this one is mine.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:11 PM, TurnipJF said:

Today I marked out a track on some nearby open tarmac, then proceeded to give the M-08, TT-02 Type S and M-07 some runtime. I didn't have my timing gear set up, but subjectively all three cars felt on the pace, with the 4WD Type S feeling the fastest and the M-07 and M-08 feeling very closely matched and not far behind the Type S.

All three cars are hopped up to a similar degree and are running 13.5t motors, 10BL60 ESCs and 2S LiPo. 

2020-09-01_10-38-14

At some point over the next couple of evenings I hope to repeat the experiment with timing gear set up. I will of course report the findings...

I’m intrigued TJF, which was the most enjoyable to drive out of these 3?

On 9/5/2020 at 8:51 AM, Grumpy pants said:

I’m intrigued TJF, which was the most enjoyable to drive out of these 3?

An interesting question - and one I think has different answers depending on the situation. The M-08 is a lot of fun in a non-race setting where there are no real consequences for overdoing it and spinning out, and one can simply reverse or drive back onto the track.

However in a race where one cannot reverse and needs to wait for a marshal, the understeer of the M-07 tends to leave it pointing in the right direction more often than the oversteer of the M-08, so while perhaps less exciting, it is also likely to be less frustrating as a result.

The TT-02S is a different beast entirely, stable and planted with very neutral handling. Slidey antics are possible, but only with great provocation. It is however extremely satisfying to be able to drive it with repeatable precision, hitting each apex time after time. It is the sort of car that makes even an infrequent racer such as myself feel like a pro.

• Like 2

Awesome build thread! Really like the comparisons to the M07 and your tourer. Also loving the bodies. Really enjoyable read! 😁 Would've posted earlier but I don't check the build threads section much 😬

• Thanks 2

Totally agree. Those Bodies are amazing!

My favorite part is all the interaction and conversation. Good Threads like this one are most enjoyable because of the Kinship and invaluable information!! 😊

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

invaluable information!! 

There’s heaps of that around here, trouble is as you get older is retaining it all, every time I learn something new it’s at the cost of erasing something else from my memory bank, or trying to remember where the heck I read it review it 😂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

There’s heaps of that around here, trouble is as you get older is retaining it all, every time I learn something new it’s at the cost of erasing something else from my memory bank, or trying to remember where the heck I read it review it 😂

YOU SAID IT Brother!!! 56 years Old, and I'm sure I'm FORGETTING more than I'm learning. 😖😜  However, if you're a certified Tamiya NUT, there's no better Group of Guys. 💯🍻🍻

• Like 1

It has been a while since I altered anything mechanical on the M-08, as it has been performing extremely well in the postal races, and I have yet to make it to a proper track. However I recently came into possession of a set of carbon reinforced K parts, which include the steering rack components. The carbon reinforced plastic is noticeably stiffer than stock, so I have fitted them to the car, along with the carbon reinforced chassis stiffeners that come on the same sprue. We'll see what difference they make (if any) in this round of postal racing. 

• Like 2