Sign in to follow this  
legacygt777

KYOSHO Ultima Full Option with Joel Johnson

Pretty killer video showing a modded Ultima Re-Release inspired by champion Joel Johnson's buggy.  Joel even gives it a test run.  Those gold shocks are iconic.

• Like 11

This is exactly what I had in mind when I was considering body options for my Ultima re-re runner (I was going to replace Joel''s pink stripe with blue as its my favorite color). I went with a Turbo Ultima body instead (still stuck in the Chicago post office for a month now :angry: and TBG is away from the store for 2 more weeks yet) because I wasn't sure the Tomahawk body would fit the stock ladder frame chassis as Joel's original car had a Trinity graphite chassis. Now I know it would have worked.  Great video. Thanks for sharing!

I really like that-it’s cool.  Never cared for the ultimate wheels though, think I would try using TO rears and turbo scorpion fronts. That said isn’t that like a $600 plus Ultima when all said and done?  I hope they make the Turbo.  

Is the Tomahawk a perfect fit on the Ultima? Anyone did this? Can you share? thank you

Love the video and love what Kyosho is doing with the Legendary Series.  Updated perfectly so they can be run relatively hard but still feel nostalgic.  The Scorpion was my first Kyosho product and I was left so impressed that I have added a Turbo Scorpion, Ultima, Optima, Turbo Optima and Javelin.  Soon to add a Fantom to the mix.  If you don't have one and like vintage cars (who doesn't here!), put any one of them at the top of the list as they do not disappoint!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:

Love the video and love what Kyosho is doing with the Legendary Series.  Updated perfectly so they can be run relatively hard but still feel nostalgic.  The Scorpion was my first Kyosho product and I was left so impressed that I have added a Turbo Scorpion, Ultima, Optima, Turbo Optima and Javelin.  Soon to add a Fantom to the mix.  If you don't have one and like vintage cars (who doesn't here!), put any one of them at the top of the list as they do not disappoint!

I agree kyosho legends series are top quality and if funds permit they are a must! I'm just praying to the gods of RC that we see a optima mid (any mid not fussy) in the very near future being released?

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

...and now I want a re-re Ultima. Great. Thanks a lot...

lol.  dude they're great cars.  I have both the 80s and re re.  You won't be disappointed.  Opening the packaging is an 80s trip to memory lane. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 9:55 AM, tamiya3speed said:

I just built the Turbo Scorpion and I really liked what Kyosho did.  Great buggy.

3 hours ago, legacygt777 said:

lol.  dude they're great cars.  I have both the 80s and re re.  You won't be disappointed.  Opening the packaging is an 80s trip to memory lane. 

I have a nice original, as well as an original Optima, a re-re Turbo Optima, a re-re Scorpion, and I'm currently restoring a Progress. I'm aware... ;)

...I just don't need more stuff to want to spend money on.

• Like 1

This tribute version appears to use the stock re-release stamped aluminium ladder frame. Joel's actual worlds car from back in the day used a Trinity graphite chassis. 

I would love to see Kyosho put an upgrade package together for a "Joel Johnson works kit". I just priced the gold dampers, carbon towers, and yellow wheels alone at $160 usd. By the time you add a body, tires, sway bar kit, its over $200......and still more to get if you follow the complete list in the video.

7 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

I would love to see Kyosho put an upgrade package together for a "Joel Johnson works kit". I just priced the gold dampers, carbon towers, and yellow wheels alone at $160 usd. By the time you add a body, tires, sway bar kit, its over $200......and still more to get if you follow the complete list in the video.

"Joel Johnson hurts kit".

11 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

A kit would be cool but I already bought most of the parts to make one.

I'm undecided, I may go ahead and get the gold shocks and carbon towers, but plan on leaving the gear diff for ease of maintenance. Also with Kyosho's release history, I'm thinking a Turbo Ultima may be on the horizon. The Turbo Ultima has essentially all the hop ups......decisions, decisions.

9 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Anyone know which bits were used to mount the wing like that?

There are 2 sets of wing mounts in the kit: low, and high. Those shown in the video are just the high ones fitted. When I built my kit, decided to use the high mounts, looks better IMO.

5 hours ago, Hobbimaster said:

There are 2 sets of wing mounts in the kit: low, and high. Those shown in the video are just the high ones fitted. When I built my kit, decided to use the high mounts, looks better IMO.

Thank you. Have you used the tomahawk body on yours ? How hard is it to make it fit the the ultima ? 

• Like 1