wtcc5

wtcc5's Tamiya Dyna Blaster

I love this pic heavy thread. Wtc your truck is blazing. I’m not familiar with this model but after reading these two pages, I want one. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Exit13 said:

I love this pic heavy thread. Wtc your truck is blazing. I’m not familiar with this model but after reading these two pages, I want one. 

Happy hunting : )

I had two for fair price for sale here on TC a while ago but no one was really interested. On ebay they where gone for much more in a second. Pretty funny somehow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Collin said:

Happy hunting : )

I had two for fair price for sale here on TC a while ago but no one was really interested. On ebay they where gone for much more in a second. Pretty funny somehow.

Where ? 

It was time to finish the shelfqueen Blaster.

5353fb5c-c7e0-49d7-bgjkyb.jpeg

0bc83788-1e72-4ef2-8tkk0s.jpeg

I have to admit, that I totally underestimated the amount of work needed to make this body in boxart. The truck bed alone needed a long and precise masking. Five colors make the body look like it should be (invisible white to make the yellow bright). And then the stickers... The front flames-stripes aren’t easy to attach to these body lines...

The work definitely pays off and I even enjoy the metallic red a lot. On most pictures it doesn’t look so good, but backed with black it now is very elegant and I can understand why the Tamiya painter took this color.

d167440b-98e7-4b3a-9dakwl.jpeg

592df1b2-ef05-4772-841jrl.jpeg

Overall still the best looking stadium truck ever made (for me personally). Looking at it I am immediately taken back to my teenage years. Racing with my dad and uncle. My dad with his Traxxas Hawk 2, my uncle with the Dyna Blaster and I had a Kyosho Outrage ST. A horrible car. It was always broken... Even when it ran I had no chance to keep up with the Dyna Blaster... That then lead to me saving and working for a long time to buy a RC10T2. What a time that was :wub:

97935f3a-1e5d-4c92-9u9jdo.jpeg

• Like 11

It is finally getting warm outside! Flowers and trees are blooming.

@Quincy and I are eager to play outside! Tomorrow it will happen ^_^

0ca3df2d-ec0e-456b-b10jqz.jpeg

Time to prepare the Blaster for its runs. I put on an old tire set. The rear rubber has lost its softness already. 

As always, I protected the chassis with several layers of vinyl. I added an old resealable bag to the top to reduce the hassle of changing the battery. The motor got extra dust protection. It fits really tight into the rear protector cage, so I wonder if people always drove without one...

3a2a2b62-032e-4f96-8u3jyy.jpeg

47efc16a-f2ed-4ea9-96qjza.jpeg

ef7aa7ff-dee2-469b-8c8k8t.jpeg

A 8000mAh lipo will move in there and allow for a long run time and the right weight balance.

60aed845-1dba-45f9-aujj53.jpeg

9ee44c34-8c23-4957-b2ak0q.jpeg

The previous shown 3d print parts are onboard. I also added a 3d-print clutch cover, as I find the original with new seal too tight —> might damage the plastic.

0f921bde-9c27-488a-bfsjns.jpeg

Can‘t wait for it :wub: Pictures and videos will follow. 

By the way: @Quincy will drive his Top Force Evolution... Two happy kids :lol:

• Like 6

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! What a perfect day this was!

7e65fdb6-5947-43c5-8s7k7d.jpeg

a577b0c1-c583-45e6-bqzk5g.jpeg

First of all the weather was sunny with nice fresh air. The gravel/sand pit we chose as location was prepared with a large sand flat as if someone knew we would come. I brought a rake to smooth out rough steps and vehicle tire prints. @Quincy brought corner dots to mark the track and his car battery to charge our lipos.

f0de1b3f-9c41-4712-balk8q.jpeg

Quincy brought his Top Force Evolution. This buggy was on rails all day. A rocket! My Dyna Blaster lost a lot of time out of a corner. Corner entry was fast, corner middle equal if I hit the sweet spot. The rear was very loose on this surface. The Blaster needs to drift, a quick counter steer and sensitive throttle finger through a corner, then it was fast. Not easy at all. We later simplified the track layout so that I could have more fun. The initial track was in this low grip condition very difficult (no fun) to drive.

Quincy made some nice Dyna Blaster action shots:

75a98254-82e6-4eba-9e2jwy.jpeg

07e26737-303e-4c28-9ztj5b.jpeg

9cfb42f9-de7e-4474-8gijz3.jpeg

fdcf84b1-090c-42c8-adfj0t.jpeg

f9125e4c-eb0f-4421-80skcq.jpeg

In exchange I filmed with my GoPro all day. The long shots are no good, but fortunately I made a short action video by following Quincys car. From now on I will do it always like this. Pure action, up close view of the car and no time wasted:

I hope you enjoyed it!

• Like 8

Mhhm love it! The sandpit and the caterpiller groves from the shovel (or whatever it was). Such a nice off-space buggybahn : )

The Dyna is very much fun for drifting imho.

• Like 2

The oversteer was maybe caused by the old dry and worn rear tires vs. the next to new fronts.

bef52b5a-d930-44e0-819jiu.jpeg

Today I cleaned and rebuild the car. All the 3d printed parts held up well even though I had some high speed rolls.

The gearbox was clean inside. The spur and pinion therefore ate a lot of sand and are ruined... well they will work for one more run. Anyone has any idea how to seal the spur cover properly?

For the first step of cleaning I used a vacuum cleaner this time. Very nice! I will do that again.

All the protection vinyl did a good job and wasn’t sanded through by the surface.

Let’s hope for good weather next sunday for another off-road run.

• Like 2

I told you earlier here about my dad, uncle and me racing our cars in the 90s. I found a photo of these good old times:

421c077a-4daf-447f-b86ak0x.jpg

I am on the left. My Kyosho Outrage ST sports a worn Thunder Shot body :rolleyes:  My fathers Traxxas (middle) already has a custom build double deck chassis.  And yeah, we had a dreadlocks phase in the family :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

By the way: You just got to love april. Sunday it was sunny and warm all day. Today I woke up to this:

img_7804n6j2i.jpg

I had to put the Dyna Blaster in the snow for the contrast ^_^

• Like 2

On 4/4/2021 at 9:26 PM, wtcc5 said:

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! What a perfect day this was!

7e65fdb6-5947-43c5-8s7k7d.jpeg

a577b0c1-c583-45e6-bqzk5g.jpeg

First of all the weather was sunny with nice fresh air. The gravel/sand pit we chose as location was prepared with a large sand flat as if someone knew we would come. I brought a rake to smooth out rough steps and vehicle tire prints. @Quincy brought corner dots to mark the track and his car battery to charge our lipos.

f0de1b3f-9c41-4712-balk8q.jpeg

Quincy brought his Top Force Evolution. This buggy was on rails all day. A rocket! My Dyna Blaster lost a lot of time out of a corner. Corner entry was fast, corner middle equal if I hit the sweet spot. The rear was very loose on this surface. The Blaster needs to drift, a quick counter steer and sensitive throttle finger through a corner, then it was fast. Not easy at all. We later simplified the track layout so that I could have more fun. The initial track was in this low grip condition very difficult (no fun) to drive.

Quincy made some nice Dyna Blaster action shots:

75a98254-82e6-4eba-9e2jwy.jpeg

07e26737-303e-4c28-9ztj5b.jpeg

9cfb42f9-de7e-4474-8gijz3.jpeg

fdcf84b1-090c-42c8-adfj0t.jpeg

f9125e4c-eb0f-4421-80skcq.jpeg

In exchange I filmed with my GoPro all day. The long shots are no good, but fortunately I made a short action video by following Quincys car. From now on I will do it always like this. Pure action, up close view of the car and no time wasted:

I hope you enjoyed it!

looking at these pictures brings me so back to the 90s and you cant tell by anything it is not :D

as a kid always wanted to have one ;)

• Like 2

@Fabia130vRS: I hope lady luck is on your side and you will get one for an affordable price. As a young teen these were so far out of reach. And even if you worked and saved, then the electronics were so expensive, too :unsure: Phew, how long I saved for my first electronic esc :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, wtcc5 said:

@Fabia130vRS: I hope lady luck is on your side and you will get one for an affordable price. As a young teen these were so far out of reach. And even if you worked and saved, then the electronics were so expensive, too :unsure: Phew, how long I saved for my first electronic esc :rolleyes:

So true Kevin, When I remember the price of my old Novak ESC, a Hammer Pro, which I needed to run my even more pricy Top Force Evo, oh oh.

And the tears 10 years later, when this ESC died in a touring car race with my trusty TA03. It got wet and I stayed out too long, short circuit on the main board, and over and out...:(

But so cool drive session with @Quincy, totally envious! Do you or Quincy have some infos on the Evo? Which motor was used e.g.? I still have my Evo in the future Restoration loop, main problem are some missing Ti screws. Quite hard to get these days, the Tamiya ones used back then... My Evo was really slaughtered by me for all good parts. Steering system went into an FF01, The high end ball diffs with the superlight alu parts went into my first M02 Beetle for Tamiya Eurocup. As were some of the screws going into my TA03. Buggy racing really died in our area at the end of the nineties, and everyone went into onroad. Offroad tracks nearby were turned into onroad ones. So I never thought I would have the use for the Evo again. Luckily I still was aware of hte specialness of this machine, and kept the rests of it instead of selling the rests...:rolleyes:

• Like 1

@Quincy used a Tamiya Super Stock Motor Type-BZ 23T #53930. He replaced the fragile and precious aluminum diffs with the standard ones. That is all I know. I am sure he will add some info later. He is a very busy man these days...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, wtcc5 said:

@Quincy used a Tamiya Super Stock Motor Type-BZ 23T #53930. He replaced the fragile and precious aluminum diffs with the standard ones. That is all I know. I am sure he will add some info later. He is a very busy man these days...

Yes I am using the Super Stock BZ motor, also equipped it with Ball bearings. Diffs are from the Manta Ray (gear diffs front and rear). I also got the same problem with missing titanium screws, but I got them. Ordered all over the world. Unfortunately I got sand in the rear gear housing, so there will be some additional work waiting for me.

• Thanks 1

Maintainence is no work, thats the pleasure-time with your beauty after the run. :lol:

• Like 2

Thanks  @wtcc5 & @Quincy

for the details! That´s good work to source down these old screws. Hard to get by and probably expensive. Maybe I just store what I have and will finally use hex Ti screws. Time will tell. Actually the Alu diff housings are quite tough, compared to the actual Manta Ray ball diff sets. You just have to care, that there´s no play that let´s the outdrives wobble. Then they wear out. I used to glue mine in with Loctite back in the days, which kept them pristine until today. Using the gear diffs is for sure lowest maintenance you can get. But my TF seems strange, even the Aluminum gear in the rear box is in good condition. Only explanation I have is, that I used Tamiya ceramic grease from the beginning. Probably this I will store in the box and go full plastic as many here...

• Like 1

959cd76c-ff70-4cc9-acyk22.jpeg

The new tires and a set spur gears arrived.

The old tires were fairly easy to remove. My uncle must have used a yellow rubber glue. In hindsight a very good decision. I would say it is some kind of Pattex glue. With a little effort it was good to remove off the wheel.

c2ffc925-dd6d-4ef5-95rjxk.jpeg

I put on the tires, but didn't glue them, yet (researching for the right glue).

3bf62009-9328-49a2-arojyc.jpeg

de55e206-0b9d-4191-abajbe.jpeg

Next time out, @Quincy and I will use both buggies --> Boomerang for me :)

For the third outdoor offroad run I hope he has restored his Stadium Blitzer. Then our stadium-truck-fights will be epic :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Stadium Truck time!

@Quincy got himself a used Stadium Blitzer and restored it to a high level. Yesterday we met at a smaller sandpit (the big one was full with workers and vehicles). The weather was changing a lot, but mostly dry and sunny. Our chosen track was bumpy and with a lot of elevation changes. We had a great time!

Some pictures of the day.

Posing with shiny clean cars:

c12c75e8-b882-40ce-9vnk2h.jpeg

59778413-e9b9-4a21-axgjxw.jpeg

1d824831-c8f2-4489-at5k8i.jpeg

cd69e78c-591f-46a1-bgbkzl.jpeg

3091f1eb-9723-465c-9a7jkl.jpeg

The location:

609a3589-1d53-4d57-8o0jmg.jpeg

Second posing:

4d7ce287-4382-470c-8eikwa.jpeg

66bfc0fe-a40a-4174-bmtjnh.jpeg

0adbfb87-25c7-4a69-bogjde.jpeg

9ff681cc-1b89-4cdc-a5ujrj.jpeg

Action shots by Quincy:

_20210514_202500dhknr.jpg

_20210514_202613jsjd8.jpg

_20210514_20272960jea.jpg

_20210514_202941p2jp1.jpg

dsc_0017_burst2021051kjj7m.jpg

It was nearly a perfect day until one bearing inside the gearbox of my Dyna Blaster died (left outdrive). In the repair process I damaged the rear hub, but luckily could continue. The repair took some time, but was a success. It also rained for some minutes and the sand got stuck on our cars. You can clearly recognize in the video, which shots were made before and after the rain :lol: This time video is longer, as I did some cutting work to bring all the short clips together. I hope you enjoy it:

• Like 6

The Blaster is really good in compare with the Blitzer. Nice overtaking manover.

Big up to the camera, put some 90s synth sound overdub and its the new Tamiya Dyna Blaster comercial for TV. Really enjoying your session from here.

: )

• Like 3

Time to prepare for the next outdoor session.

The Blaster wasn't allowed inside until it lost most of the sand:

img_8113umjwd.jpg

The wet sand got stuck a lot on body and tires.

I could still hit myself for damaging the rear hub while removing the ballstud. As @Quincy and I looked at the damage, we first thought these were similar to the Manta Ray (except for the lower pin choices), but they differ a lot in every area except for the look:

img_811881ja2.jpg

I found a new pair in a dutch R/C shop... When they arrive, they won't go on the truck until I shelf it again.

Sunday morning I decided to build one in CAD:

bildschirmfoto2021-053yjca.png

bildschirmfoto2021-054lj1z.png

With the goal to print two for the use in the Dyna Blaster:

img_8116xxkye.jpg

The geometry isn't simple, but no real challenge either. Somehow they feel sturdier than the original ones. That is exactly the right job for a 3D-printer and I am somehow very happy with the outcome ^_^

img_8120ynkgy.jpg

• Like 3

Go for PA12 SLS prints if you wnat to keep it running as you are showing in your videos : )

I went all along this way and FDM is just good for certain parts (which dont get variable load on it) and prototyping. Or try PC filament.

• Like 2