Is this for the FF-04? If so, I would highly recommend the HW1080. Difference with the 1060 is you can change or edit the settings with the program card that comes with it. Performs well and looks good too. I have three 1060s and I decided to get the 1080 for my XV-01. Now I want to upgrade all my kits with it. ;)

By the way, don't get fooled by the "Crawler" ESC. It can also be used for cars touring/rally/bashing. I can share you my custom setting if you need to.

• Like 1

Regards the 1060/1080. There are lots of fakes on ebay etc. I have got mine from online uk stores for good price.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gazzalene said:

Regards the 1060/1080. There are lots of fakes on ebay etc. I have got mine from online uk stores for good price.

Actually there's a lot of OEM 1060 ESCs that are being used by HPI, Yeah Racing, GoolRC, and a few others.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Is this for the FF-04? If so, I would highly recommend the HW1080. Difference with the 1060 is you can change or edit the settings with the program card that comes with it. Performs well and looks good too. I have three 1060s and I decided to get the 1080 for my XV-01. Now I want to upgrade all my kits with it. ;)

By the way, don't get fooled by the "Crawler" ESC. It can also be used for cars touring/rally/bashing. I can share you my custom setting if you need to.

The FF04 has a SkyRC TS160 in it, thats set up for 21.5T blinky racing. 

These are for the buggies we run in the backyard.  We have Lunchbox, Monster Beetle, Super Astute, Top Force, Novafox, Boomerang and 2 TT02B's.  Also a TT02 which needs a TBLE-02s to be legal in the TT02 class.  Currently a TT02B, Monster Beetle and Boomerang need ESC's, and 2 more are playing up.  Out of those cars I could only get 2 running yesterday, and one of those has an intermittent fault.

So since I'm going to need about 4 ESC I'm hoping for cheap.  Banggood have some for around US$10 each, wondering how many will be DOA or not last long.  Hobbywing or Surpass are more like US$25 so its quite a difference when you're buying 4 and they're just for mucking around.  Performance doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

I haven’t had any TBLE-02’s fail on me yet @Jonathon Gillham, I expect mine don’t get the use like yours do though. 
You run them all on LiPo don’t you? I’m wondering if it’s continued use on LiPo that leads to them failing as they are only meant for 7.2v and a fully charged LiPo is pushing over 8v’s into them 🤔

Anyway I changed a couple of mine to the HW 1060’s and haven’t had any dramas. Nice to have the proper LiPo cut off too. I also found that they seemed to give a bit of a power boost too over the TBLE-02 using the same motor as well. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I haven’t had any TBLE-02’s fail on me yet @Jonathon Gillham, I expect mine don’t get the use like yours do though. 
You run them all on LiPo don’t you? I’m wondering if it’s continued use on LiPo that leads to them failing as they are only meant for 7.2v and a fully charged LiPo is pushing over 8v’s into them 🤔

Anyway I changed a couple of mine to the HW 1060’s and haven’t had any dramas. Nice to have the proper LiPo cut off too. I also found that they seemed to give a bit of a power boost too over the TBLE-02 using the same motor as well. 

Mine were all fine until the last few months. The older ones still seem ok, but a couple of new ones with barely any run time failed. The BEC dies, which apparently is a common problem. I have recently switched to lipo round case packs when my NiMH died. My son is a bit older now and knows to ask and that they will need charging. We got the first cars when he was 3 1/2 (I think, maybe 2 1/2?) and toddlers aren't known for their patience so NiMH worked as I could leave them charged. So lipo only since about March this year I think. 

I've noticed that lipo makes them thermal faster if they're going to. Ran one with a 13.5T in an Ae B6D for a few weeks, but it thermalled all the time. 13.5T has been fine in the past on NiMH.

I should probably order a couple of those and see if they're ok

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

They run OK without a fan in cars and buggies??

20 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Actually there's a lot of OEM 1060 ESCs that are being used by HPI, Yeah Racing, GoolRC, and a few others.

Not sure if our wires are crossed but OEM is not to be confused with the "cheaper" unboxed items from ebay,many are fake

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

They run OK without a fan in cars and buggies??

Yup. But I installed a fan in my XV-01 so No heating issues there.

2 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

Not sure if our wires are crossed but OEM is not to be confused with the "cheaper" unboxed items from ebay,many are fake

Yes. The OEM variants are definitely not fake.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

Yup. But I installed a fan in my XV-01 so No heating issues there.

Yes. The OEM variants are definitely not fake.

As long as the Fake ones in plastic bags are NOT MISTAKEN for OEM. Some think they are cheap non-boxed versions heading for manufacturers! Seen them for £6 if I recall BUT are really bad.

14 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

As long as the Fake ones in plastic bags are NOT MISTAKEN for OEM. Some think they are cheap non-boxed versions heading for manufacturers! Seen them for £6 if I recall BUT are really bad.

The ESC in the pictures came in a plastic bag from an Ebay seller directly from China. Fake or not?

Noticeable differences to my boxed Hobbywing-branded 1060s:

1. Power switch is not water/dust protected.
  2. No Hobbywing logo molded into the underside of the case.

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

Just now, FuzzyFlynn said:

The ESC in the pictures came in a plastic bag from an Ebay seller directly from China. Fake or not?

Noticeable differences to my boxed Hobbywing-branded 1060s:

1. Power switch is not water/dust protected.
  2. No Hobbywing logo molded into the underside of the case.

Bonus info: The manual has the character string "hw-sm690eng-v3-20160603" in the top right corner. A Google search for "hw-sm690eng-v3" delivers a couple of results for a PDF version.

I've ordered a couple of different ones from Banggood to try.  Total cost is a bit less than a HW 1060, and since its just for the fun cars I figure its worth a shot.  I'll report back once I receive them.  The reviews on Banggood were all positive so fingers crossed

On 8/31/2020 at 5:23 AM, rwordenjr said:

Do you guys know difference between hobbywing and powerhobby one ? 

Based on the look and spec, I guess it is a Powerhobby-branded version of the Hobbywing 1060. But this is really just a guess. Noticeable differences: Heatsink color, missing water/dust cover on the power switch, T/Deans battery connector instead of Tamiya plug.

14 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've ordered a couple of different ones from Banggood to try.  Total cost is a bit less than a HW 1060, and since its just for the fun cars I figure its worth a shot.  I'll report back once I receive them.  The reviews on Banggood were all positive so fingers crossed

Just ones looking like the one from your Banggood link above or also ones looking like the HW1060? Anyway, looking forward to your report.

BTW, what I cannot recommend is the Hobbyking X-Car 45A (also available with different brandings). Polarity is reversed on the motor plugs (at least on my sample) and poor power output for the servo (just 5.6V/2A): https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-x-car-45a-brushed-car-esc.html

• Like 1

Jonathan, can you use an older Tamiya esc for the TT02 class or does it have to be a TLBE-02s?

1 hour ago, berman said:

Jonathan, can you use an older Tamiya esc for the TT02 class or does it have to be a TLBE-02s?

I don't know about that, it could go either way.  The point of the class is to make a box stock entry level class so the upgrades allowed are bearings, shocks and I think motor mount, centre shaft and maybe a heatsink.  Its supposed to be cheap.  But the 105 ESC was a kit one, so I don't see why it wouldn't be.  I suspect they won't scrutineer a 7yo anyway, but it would be nice to get it set up right for the class.  I still have quite a few working TBLE-02S though, but will need to pull them out of other cars and replace them

Ok so an update on this.

I bought one of these

https://www.banggood.com/60A-ESC-Carbon-Brushed-110-RC-Crawler-Car-Part-p-1229993.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

And one of these

https://www.banggood.com/HSP-HPI-320A-Brushed-Speed-Controller-ESC-p-86639.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Both worked exactly as they should.  The HPI feels cheap and is much bigger than the Surpass or a HW1060.  The Surpass looks very similar to the HW and has the built in capacitor.  The only downside to the Surpass is it has a jumper for NiMH - Lipo, but not for Fwd/Br/Rev, it looks like it needs a program box for that.

I ordered a couple more of the Surpass, the size was the main factor.  The HPI one was just a lot bigger.

I've only had them for a couple of weeks, but so far so good, and at half the price of the HW1060 they should work out even if they have a higher failure rate.