BertG

ESC TBLE-02s cutoff?

Hello all,

Before explaining what goes wrong, here is the setup of the car which gives problems:

Tamiya Super Astute / TBLE-02s esc/ TFU01 cooling fan / TBLM-02s 10.5T brushless motor/ TBLE-01s sensor cable / Savox 1252 low profile steering servo / Spektrum SR315 receiver / Voltz 5300 nimh 7.2 volt power pack (fully charged)

When i hold the car off the ground, everything seems to work just fine: full throttle forward - break - reverse.
When starting the car on the ground full throttle, there seems to be an almost immediate cut off, i keep holding full throttle and after about a second the motor starts again and goes to highest speed. This happens every time when i start full throttle from 0 speed.

Any idea what goes wrong here? Thanks.

Bert

• Like 1

I know this doesnt help you in any way but Im starting to wonder if the 10.5 TBLM-02S is compatible with the TBLE-02S at all - this is the second thread here this week with almost the exact same sounding issues with same setup?

Apparently a cooling fan is required if running lower than 13.5t motors but in the manual for the esc it refers to the earlier TBLM-01 motors. And runing on a bench wouldnt cause it to overheat that quickly and shut down.

Anyone know the differences bewtween the 01 and 02 series motors?

I have the 10.5 running with the tble02s in a 4wd car, with the fan. 

it does trip the temp shutdown occasionally but otherwise works fine. 

If it’s ******** the bed immediately from cold it’s more likely it’s tripping the overload. For it to shutdown due to overheat it has to get very, very hot. 

Could it be the battery not being upto the job? Or possibly the ESC set to lipo instead of nimh?

Disclaimer - I'm not at all familiar with these ESCs but just on general principles I would have thought the initial demand for power going from 0-full power would be significant, resulting in a delayed start-up if the battery couldn't deliver it on demand. Clearly, without the resistance of the ground, the amount of power required to get the wheels moving would be much less than having the wheels on the floor with friction, loading on the motor etc to overcome. This could explain why it works fine in the air, but not on the ground.

Just speculating and throwing out ideas. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver-Can said:

Could it be the battery not being upto the job? Or possibly the ESC set to lipo instead of nimh?

Tbh I thought the same. Although these speedos aren’t designed for Lipo (Low voltage cut off is <6v) and have no lipo setting I’d try it with a punchy lipo battery and see what happens. 

not sure if I’ve ever run mine with the 10.5 and nimh 

If you are using the stock Tamiya battery connectors, change them to Deans or other similar high-power plug system.  This will reduce the amount of voltage drop from the battery to the ESC.  Tamiya connectors suck and should be banned at this point, especially for brushless applications.

Disable low voltage cutoff and try the high-power launch test again (see ESC manual for how to do this).   If it still cuts out after disabling low voltage cutoff, then maybe the voltage from the battery to the ESC drops enough under high load for the BEC to drop out, which then cuts power to the receiver and ESC momentarily.

Experiment 1:  Power the receiver, servo and ESC from a separate 5-6V battery pack like used to be done in the old days before BEC became a thing.  Remember to remove the red wire from the ESC connector so it doesn't try to power the receiver at the same time as the separate battery.  If the ESC doesn't cut out during the high-power launch test, then you know the BEC was cutting out due to low voltage.

Experiment 2:  Steer the car left and right constantly while performing the high-power launch test.  If the servo stops moving when the ESC/motor cuts out, then it's likely that the BEC has shut down, killing power to the receiver, servo and ESC, so the motor stops.  Voltage rises again (since the ESC stopped powering the motor) and the BEC turns back on.

Experiment 3:  Buy a "glitch buster" capacitor and plug it into the receiver (or whatever the instructions say to do with it).  Maybe it will help, maybe it won't.  (I've never used one)

• Thanks 1

Hi, thank you all for the feedback and ideas. So i did a proper read of the TBLE-02S manual and soon found out that the Low Voltage Protection Setup was enabled (it came in that setting, never touched it). So i disabled it. Problem solved! Had a very pleasant ride of more than 20 minutes. Running very smooth and a big difference in power for me, being used to ride with Tamiya silver cans.

So for me the conclusion is that the TBLM-02s 10.5T motor is compatible with the TBLE-02S esc.

Thanks again!

• Like 1