slimleeroy

Completely hacked off with tamiya

I own a tamiya Durga which is currently and expensive paper weight. The car is completely useless stock due to the absolutely appallingly designed suspension blocks.  Every time I use it the wishbones pop out and I lose the stupid little pivot balls on the end of the piston rods.  And guess what, nobody offers the aluminium upgrades anywhere in the world. I am so peeved off with tamiya doing this time and again.  Anyone know where I can get some of these before I go out of my mind.

Thanks

I suppose as its a kit close to knocking on 13 years old they dont feel much of an obligation to carry spares or manufacture parts for it.

To be honest its hard enough getting certain spares for some kits that are still in production or part of the current line up, particularly in the uk.

the aluminum blocks are out there. i know thats no help. ill take a look, i found them about a month ago

54039 Aluminum Suspension Block DB01

8 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

Every time I use it the wishbones pop out and I lose the stupid little pivot balls on the end of the piston rods. 

I ran mine with the plastic parts for a bit - never had this problem, although I didn’t do anything extreme with it. I’ve heard these parts wear and eventually this does become an issue. 

are you sure it’s built correctly with all the necessary spacers between the wishbone and the pivot ball?

you can get the metal balls and on eBay or Tamico - but the front and rear blocks are harder to come by. Try the carbon version with the steel balls. 

I would check that you have built it correctly, the balls falling out might show that the pin is too short, or bent, or the socket for the ball has been stretched with a big hit (This can happen if you have ever hit the corner of the car, it might survive but it would bend the plastic a little. I raced one for about 2 seasons with the plastic kit parts and never had the arm fall out.  (Neither did the guy I raced with who also had the Db01). Failing that i would go for the carbon re-enforced parts, they are a good compromise between strength and lightness. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, slimleeroy said:

Thanks for this. Can you get the little plastic parts from the other side of the wishbones

I think this is what you need for another $4 USD:  https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-suspension-pivot-ball-10-pcs-for-tamiya-3-racing-spec-r-rc-car-kits-pb-001-00036946

Edit:  Sorry, maybe you meant the suspension blocks that are a part of the chassis tub?  The Tamiya part number is 54033, but I don't see them in stock at RCMart, Stellamodels, AsiaTees, RCJaz, Vellrip, or TQ RC Racing...

• Like 1

I think that is what the original poster is looking for. I have built all 3 of my DB01s so no more requirement for me.

• Like 1

As it happens I have trying to source the very same parts and also the front and rear suspension mounts. I eventually found proper items but also found out something that might be of interest:

Front suspension mount of DB01RRR is released in blue as 47311. The rear mount as 47312. I am not sure if these fit the pre-DB01RR chassis. They do have slightly different skid/toe-in. These items however does not seem to available in western countries at all but found in many Chinese or Korean RC shops for example (that refuse to ship abroad or are impossibly to navigate without knowing the language).

The front suspension mount alternative by GPM is still found in many places with product code GPM DB008. This likely be found repacked under Carson brand as 500530503 or by eRacingPro.