toyolien

Tamiya 74031 Decal Scissors confusion. Anyone used them?

In the Wild Willy 2 manual (and other kits) Tamiya recommend the use of their #74031 decal scissors. So, I thought I would get some. However, all the adverts for them come with the following warning:

"Do not use for vinyl stickers like the ones found in an R/C car kit."

Why not? Anyone used them successfully for RC decals?

These ones:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/tamiya-decal-scissors/rc-car-products/11842

• Like 1

I use them, and think they're brilliant. Super sharp, very accurate. I've used them with stock Tamiya kit stickers and MCI replicas with no issues

I think its just one of those " cover their butts" comments. My take is that the vinyl will dull the blade faster. Prob not an issue 

• Like 1

I would guess that the adhesive may gum up the cutting surface. But that shouldn't be an issue as long as they are kept clean.

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments chaps. I now have some on the way. I bought some 'Team Corally" scissors that looked ideal in the photo. But they arrived today and they are actually like garden sheers:

sciss.jpg

• Like 1

Small print....These Tamiya decal scissors are made with the same high quality carbon steel as our kit aluminum pinions, any attempt to cut anything other than paper will render them useless and require you to upgrade to our higher quality TRF carbon fiber steel which is much tougher than our aluminum steel..

• Haha 3

The Tamiya Decal Scissors are actually pretty good. I got them when first released in 1993 and used them for RC sticker sheets for many years. Like indicated above, they do indeed tend to gum up, but removing the glue with a strong solvent is of course not a problem. To slow down the collection of glue, I applied a little oil, then thoroughly wiped off to leave just a slippery surface.

However, back in the late 90's I built a lot of models for others. Typically 120+ a year and this was very hard on the scissors, wearing them out. So I can see why Tamiya states they are not suitable for RC sticker sheets.

An ex girlfriend of mine is a veterinarian and she gave me a couple of surgical scissors, which I have used for RC sticker sheets the last 10-15 years. They are vastly superior to the Tamiya scissors, but at several hundred Euro, that's to be expected. 

• Like 2

I have a set of the 74031's and have used them on the RC decals for years with no problem. They can gum up but the Teflon coating makes them easy to clean. If you have a look at your local craft supply shop you'll find that the same Teflon/non-stick scissors that come in different sizes and price points. I use the Tamiya branded pair for fine work and a bigger pair made by EK for broader cuts. The EK's are great quality and I highly recommend them.

• Like 1