Sign in to follow this  
fazig04

Vintage 80s sell-off ahead of the Re-Re?

Not to keep stoking this fire, but do you think kits like the SC have gone up in value recently b/c people are building and running 'em now with hornet tires (or trying to get an orginal before the Re-re is issued? [:I])

Noticed a lot of T/C collectors selling of SRB as well as the "plastic" vintage kits lately on ebay (4 Hotshot I NIB kits on sale right now).

When was it announced that the Super champ was being re-re?

Following on the recent SRB re-release discussions, I'm just trying to guess at reasons for the price jump in NIB kits like the Super Champ recently on the 'bay(last one sold for $1125). This time last year you couldn't comfortably get $600USD for one.

TC member Spice has nice one for sale right now with a bid already at $700USD.

A NIB SS just sold for $3000 four days ago..

I think the crazy pricing is more the time of year than anything else.

with that $3000 scorcher, that is probably one of the nicest you will see with most of the shrinkwrap still on the box. I would however be leery of that bidder with only three feedbacks.

I was quite leary of that Sand Scorcher knowing that the SS kits were never factory shink wraped..Although MRC and the German distributer did shrink wrap some earlier kits but not that early to the best of my knowledge...but it sure looked pretty...

quote:Originally posted by Shodog

with that $3000 scorcher, that is probably one of the nicest you will see with most of the shrinkwrap still on the box. I would however be leery of that bidder with only three feedbacks.

id="quote">id="quote">

quote:Originally posted by pleiku68

I was quite leary of that Sand Scorcher knowing that the SS kits were never factory shink wraped..Although MRC and the German distributer did shrink wrap some earlier kits but not that early to the best of my knowledge...but it sure looked pretty...

quote:Originally posted by Shodog

id="quote">id="quote">

id="quote">id="quote">

I agree Jerry, the kits were never shrinkwrapped by Tamiya but at least you know that it was complete when it left the distributor

Originally posted by pleiku68

I have lived in the u.S. my whole life and been into Tamiya R/C since the Sand Scorcher days and 'til this day have never seen any Hobby store sell kits that were not shrink wrapped. Every single kit that comes to the u.S. is first sent to America's agent which used to be MRC and is now Tamiya America, then they add the necessary papers and stickers and are shrink wrapped before being sent to authorized hobby shops.

Any u.S. hobby store that has ever had an unwrapped kit was because the owner of the hobby store removed it for whatever reason.

Now, on the other hand... I know there are other countries like Japan, who do sell some of their kits unwrapped, but I have never seen this in the u.S.

Just wanted to clear-up this misconception.[;)]

I just finished taking a look at that Scorcher that sold for over $3,000 and you can see in the pics it is a bogus re-wrap. The MRC brochure that is under the kit has been opened numerous times as you can tell by the chips in the spine and the MRC sticker has wear on it. I have atleast a dozen sealed MRC kits and the only way those stickers get wear is if the box was opened at some point. I'll admit the box is in nice shape, but is def a re-wrap.[:0]

Seems like somebody has stolen the pictures and most of the description from the $3050 Scorcher.

Checkout the bay for Tamiya Sand Scorcher and list as highest priced first.

It has a start of $2000, with no bids.

Just saw this myself.

Same worn sticker and MRC book under supposedly "never opened plastic shrink wrap" ...

Just took a look at the new auction from diff seller with same pics. Looks like someones scamming big time. This is gonna turn into another Hilux incident. It's a shame these lifeless people have nothing better to do than ruin the already diminishing trust of trading through Ebay safely.

Today you don't know who your dealing with or what your gonna get. Let's face it... we're spending big bucks in this great hobby of ours, but I am getting more and more weary of doing any big money transactions on ebay or anywhere. I'm sure most of you are starting to feel the same. Ever since the guy who stole Hilux NIB pics from a club member and posted them on ebay. He ripped off that buyer for almost $3,000 and tried to do it several more times buy making second chance offers to the other high bidders. I pitty the fool that ever tries that with me. I would have no problem spending just a few hundred more to take a trip to their home to cause them the equivalent monetary cost in hospital bills.[;)]

Aside from the Scorcher, there are FIVE NIB Hotshots on the bay at the moment. Although nothing has been confirmed the 'Shot is probably the hot favourite to be the next re-re sometime in 2006 so maybe these sellers are taking their chance of making big bucks before a re-re demolishes the value of the originals??

Yup, prices are always high at this time of the year and with the fear of more re-res many sellers use the chance.

Cheers

quote:Originally posted by fazig04

A NIB SS just sold for $3000 four days ago..

id="quote">id="quote">

Do you mean this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=6014706286

Interestingly, my friend Shawn in uSA visited Tamiya uSA in California just the other day, and they said that they think that the Sand Scorcher is getting re-released in the Summer this coming year but they cannot confirm it at the moment.

Cheers,

Alistair G.

quote:Originally posted by Bibbo

Seems like somebody has stolen the pictures and most of the description from the $3050 Scorcher.

Checkout the bay for Tamiya Sand Scorcher and list as highest priced first.

It has a start of $2000, with no bids.

id="quote">id="quote">

This one I presume ;-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tamiya-New-in-Sealed...1QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah I know no links to live auctions but it is bogus. It's been re-listed as something else as though the seller changed his mind and hadn't the nerve to go through with the scam LOL.

In the uK we never ever get sealed kits from Tamiya, and the The Hobby Company Ltd. (UK importer) do not seal them either, but I don't know about the old importer RIKO, though I rather suspect that they were never sealed either. So a sealed kit to me is meaningless anyway, and I would NEVER pay more just to get a sealed one. I would want to see the condition of the inside of the box (inside sometimes has some artwork of course as well) as well as the outside, before I bought it, and I would want to see the condition of the contents. At least for second hand NIB kits, anyway.

However for kits bought from a shop it would be nice if the uK importer would shrink wrap them for us, if nothing else to stop idiot salesmen pulling off sellotaped-on price tags from kit boxes and ripping them [|)][:0][:(!][:(]

Cheers,

Alistair G.

As a seasoned ebayer, one way to acertain if a high value item is scammed, is to ask seller for more pictures,ensuring you ask for differing shots from those in the listing. If this cannot be done,forget it.

cheers.