• Design decals
  • Fit front bumper
  • Fabricate rear bumper
  • Fit electrics
  • Fit LEDs
  • Fit winch
  • Fit tow hooks
  • Mount new axles

Calsonic Primera Shelf Queen (showroom entry)

• Fix build thread

CFX-W

• add wheel weights

Cherokee Class 2 (showroom entry)

• Make and fit scaler controller
  • add wheel weights

Cosworth Rally Car

• Apply decals
  • Prep and paint body
  • Design decals

Deimos

• Investigate faster motor
  • Investigate adjustable gearing

Durandal (showroom entry)

• Drill propshaft pins

F150 Tow Truck

• finish interior
  • Design light buckets and grill
  • Print grille and light buckets
  • Rear fender
  • fit LEDs
  • Fit electrics

Fifty-Fifty

• Fit stainless hinge pins
  • Replace missing diff cup
  • Sway bars

Fox (showroom entry)

• re-mount body
  • paint driver

Globe Liner (showroom entry)

• Tidy wiring
  • Paint interior
  • Mount interior
  • Convert motor sounds
  • Test-run and adjust
  • Prep interior
  • Fit roof lights

Gloryhammer

• paint planetary covers

GMade BOM

• For fairlead
  • Replace winch drum
  • Extend cantilevers
  • Rebuild interior

Grand Hauler Tipper

• Reassemble tipper
  • Reassemble with MFU
  • Prep and paint body
  • Design and print cosmetics
  • Paint cosmetic parts
  • Fit cosmetic parts
  • Clearance tipper mech
  • Design graphics

Grond

• paint interior
  • decal sponsor plates

Hotshot (showroom entry)

• Fit Radshape towers
  • Reassemble
  • Fabricate TMS-style chassis

Manta Force

• Fit Top Force steering

Phobos

• servo-on-axle steering
  • make chassis brace
  • fit oil shocks

Pole Trailer

• Fit support legs

Quattro Rallycross Car (showroom entry)

• Paint body
  • Apply decals
  • Design decals
  • Narrow track

Runeblade

• Fit new power system
  • Fit metal links

Spellbreaker (showroom entry)

• Fit sway bars
  • Check axles

Supershot

• Lazy build
  • Paint and decal body

Toyota Hilux Class 1 (showroom entry)

• Fit Arduino controller

Toyota Prerunner Racer Truck

• Paint body
  • Decal body
  • Clean and mask body
  • Make body mounts

Truck of Many Wheels (showroom entry)

• Full inspection
  • Fit headers
  • Create Headers
  • Paint black details
  • Fit steering turnbuckles
  • Make rollbar
  • Paint rollbar
  • Make new exhaust pipes

Arduino Scaler Controller

• Make SMD board
  • Install in Toyota
  • Resolve PPM read issue
  • Breadboard test

Ramps

• Fit carpet

Resin Printer

• Clean printer
  • Test tough formula
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

I like this! It makes my list seem short and manageable by comparison.

• Like 1

Nice, I’m looking forward to this. The length of the list gives me comfort, I’m kinda scared to list my own stuff out, but I think it’ll help the wallet. Might also help when parts arrive from China, remembering what they are for :D 

Perhaps linking to showroom items for finished items?

• Like 1

That List makes me look absolutely IDLE!! I checked out a couple already, including the CC-01 KBF and Homebrew. Very nice work!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Perhaps linking to showroom items for finished items?

This plan is in the pipeline - actually my TA02 rally car links to the showroom because it is technically (almost) finished.  Also I totally forgot I had a build thread for it.  Will find and update now.

My problem with the showroom is I tend to only add it when the project is completely finished, and no project is ever completely finished.  I like to think of the showroom as a "pristine" area and even feel uncomfortable retrospectively changing photos or descriptions as cars evolve, because I feel that TC should be an immutable repository of information and not something that should change with fashions.  Photobucket would probably disagree with me.

• Like 1

good luck at revival, sadly ill be missing it again this year, got two cars in the build process for next years event!

true to form looks like the weather is a bit dodgy for the weekend!

• Like 1

If the current forecast holds true, it will be the best weather we've had for Revival since 2016 ;)

I'm looking at the BBC forecast which says we might get some rain on Sunday afternoon, but otherwise dry.  That said, the BBC forecast has been consistently wrong for the second half of this summer :o 

UPDATES - arch extension post added to the Budget Bruiser thread, lights post added to the SCX10 G6 thread.

Also added 4 new projecst to the list - Super Hot Shot (bought NIB at last week's Revival meet), Hot Shot (a re-re that's sat dormant for a few years waiting for new shocks and a rebuild), Top Force Evo (raced last weekend and pretty much on its last legs pending total overhaul), MST CFX-W J45C (new build for those long winter months with no family parties and no big events).

• Like 1

Update - added the Blackfoot 4x4 (which seemed to be missing from here) and ticked an item off the Xray T4F list.

It's 3pm on Workshop Sunday (my first in an age and possibly my last in a while) and I have achieved remarkably little.  I did fit some new shocks to the Blackfoot 4x4 but they are too wide and interfere with the wheels, so the old ones have gone back on.  It's a gorgeous day here and it's England, so who knows when we'll be getting another one like this?  The depressing thing is virtually all of my build stuff involves designing stuff in CAD.  Not that I don't enjoy it - in fact I love it - but I don't want to be shut in a dark studio while the sun is shining outside.

Not sure if I should spend the afternoon sunbathing, or attempting to cut some heavy-duty bottom arms from delrin...

Update- been a quiet few weeks in the workshop (race events and family holidays got in the way of build time) but I spent a good part of Sunday building a chassis extension to fit upright shocks on my Blackfoot 4x4 project.

Quick mid-week update to the projects list - ticked off loads of items on the Super Astute list, added a much-belated showroom entry (I happened to have the lights and drape set up for something else this morning so took some photos while it was all there), and also updated the name of the TLT/Axial Hybrid Blackfoot to its official project name, Durandal.

• Like 2

I’m not going to make a list because it will at least be as big as yours :(

gotta stop buying. Start completing existing projects :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Fairly quiet week in the workshop for me, I didn't make much use of my evenings for a variety of reasons, and on Sunday morning I decided to head south to the coast for a walk and some fresh air instead of locking myself in the workshop for a whole day.  I figure our illustrious leader may well lock us all in our homes again at some point this winter, no point jumping the gun and doing it myself while I still have the chance to get out.

It was around 3pm by the time I was in the workshop with the tools out, but that was just enough time to modify my FiftyFifty chassis plates and shock towers to make a neater mounting solution

Bit of a crazy Workshop Sunday for me, starting with the body mounts for FiftyFifty, which took most of the day.  Still a bit to do there, but it's things I can do in front of the TV tomorrow, so until then it's parked.

After that I opened up the rear axle of my Toyota Class 1 scaler, which has been running in 3.25 wheel drive for a while.  The rear spool is plastic, and the slotted driveshaft hole has gone round.  To be fair it's lasted a fair few years including some pretty heavy use at the Scaler Nationals and G6 Recon, but it seems like a weak solution to the problem, so I'm not sure if I should buy a replacement spool (at around £25 it's more pricy than I expected), or find something else that will fit (IIRC the Maverick Scout that donated its axles is based on an AX10, so maybe AX10 gears fit?), or just abandon the Maverick axles altogether and fit something more scale-worthy - RCBitz have some plastic AR60s for under £100, which are slightly narrower than the Scout axles, and should bring those fat alloys under the arches.

Then I did a quick fix of the interior on the SCX10 G6 Jeep, which went well and now looks much better.

I pulled Durandal off the shelf and started playing with the front geometry, which is going to be a longer job.

I also added a project thread for my MST CFX-W, which isn't going to be that exciting and will be full of toddler pics.

Finally, yesterday I made the fateful error of scouring UK websites for JConcepts stock for my SMT-10 build and found there are at last some Clod-size wheels in the country :o so a third of November's budget was blown on wheels, tyres and body for the SMT-10, and today I blew another 3rd of the budget on sway bars and SWB kit from RH Designs.  Also yesterday I had a totally fab idea for a project name for the finished truck, which fits in nicely with my Swords-and-Sorcery theme of Spellbreaker and Durandal and also has links to a friend's brother and an international power metal band.  But we'll have to wait until I start the project before the big reveal :D

• Like 1

Feels like it's been an age since I last updated this thread, so here's a rundown of what I've been up to.

After spending most of November's budget on JConcepts and RH Designs parts for my future SMT-10 build, my wife and I had a chat about budgets and decided we should probably spend less on toys and more on getting the house up together.  Having a big personal spending budget was OK at the start of Lockdown 1.0 when we just needed to get through and keep ourselves busy, but things have gone on way too long without rebudgeting perhaps it's time to rein it in a bit.  To be fair, she spends just as much money as I do and it wasn't entirely her that started the conversation.

Unfortunately, just as we were beginning to wonder what December would look like with less money to spend on toys, she found herself unwell and is now signed off work, probably until the end of December at least, with no real idea of when she'll be able to go back or if she'll be able to do her old hours straight away.  Which is a bit upsetting right before Christmas, but that's the way things are and there's no point getting all upset over it.

So, I still have some money left to spend in December but I'll be thinking about shelving some of the more expensive projects (things like putting a Beier sound unit in the MAN TGX might take longer to save for and require two or three months of not spending on other projects to achieve) and focussing on how to do the other projects on less money.  My weekly Workshop Sunday has kept me sane through the pandemic but it hasn't been cheap, and even if I'm not buying new kits / bodies / electrics then there's always the sundries like aluminium stock, plastic stock, screws and other hardware, paint, glue, and all that stuff that doesn't seem expensive when you buy one or two items at a time but which always seems to run out at the wrong moment.  But that's what I need to focus on - keeping stocked up on that sort of thing so I can always find something to work on, especially as we come out of Lockdown 2.0 (or rather, following today's announcement, don't so much come out of Lockdown 2.0 as get upgraded to Lockdown 2.1, which has a few more interactive features but they only work outside, and it doesn't have such good virus protection).

So - what have I been up to?

Well, if you've been following the links about you'll know that Durandal got an adjusted wheelbase, nicer geometry and softer CVA shocks, but still needs a battery tray before it officially reaches Runner status.

Fifty-Fifty finally got finished - more or less.  At least, it got a battery strap, body mounts and I found out how to stiffen up the suspension enough to jump it without putting a twist in the arms.  Final feedback will have to wait until it can see a proper track, which could be a long, long time, considering we're still only at the start of winter.

The MST CFX-W is chassis-complete and the body is mostly decaled, but no pics yet and I still have a few little chores to finish off before I take some pre-dirt snaps and make a showroom entry.  Winches and interior will become a weekend project just as soon as I've moved the Grand Hauler Tipper off the workbench.

On that subject, the Tipper now has a functioning 6x6 transmission and the scissor lift is about to get fitted.  That's a job to keep me busy on Sunday.

I'll try to keep this thread more updated as I update my project threads :) 

• Like 1

Further updates!  Sunday was Ax's Big Workshop Day, the one day in seven where I have no other responsibilities, so I got up bright and early and...   ...got involved in other stuff and didn't even start working on RC projects until gone 10am.

First plan was to mount the lifter mechanism on the grand hauler tipper, which involved taking out the bed from the tipper.  This didn't go to plan.  Further updates and pics in the Grand Hauler thread.

Second was to finish the body mounts and add winches to the new-built CFX-W.  This also didn't go to plan.  Further updates in the MST CFX-W thread.

Third and final was adding tailpipes to the Truck of Many Wheels.  This was a success, which is just as well, since if I can't even manage to glue 4 little pieces of styrene into holes that are just the right size for them then I don't really belong in the workshop anyway.

All in all, not a terribly enjoyable day - I burnt through a fair amount of wood to keep warm and discovered that I'm going to have to spend a fair amount of wedge on these projects to get them finished, wedge I just don't have since my wife is no longer working.  Maybe things will improve in the new year.

At least all my race cars are pretty much ready to get me back on track as soon as clubs re-open, although as yet none of my usual clubs have committed to opening in December, even though our current tier allows it.  So exactly what I'm going to fill my Sundays with from now on remains to be seen...  Watch this space for further updates as and when I find something I can do without spending money :) 

Sounds like tough times at Ax Towers, hope Mrs Ax gets better soon.

I can see a few freebies on your task list - they aren't the most fun jobs though! As cheap alternatives, how about a scale garage? Or back garden time trials? 

Will we see more of Homebrew vs Hop Up?

2 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Sounds like tough times at Ax Towers, hope Mrs Ax gets better soon.

I can see a few freebies on your task list - they aren't the most fun jobs though! As cheap alternatives, how about a scale garage? Or back garden time trials? 

Will we see more of Homebrew vs Hop Up?

Thanks, here's hoping it won't be too long a road :) things are tough but they could be way worse, and they are way worse for plenty of other people right now, so I'm trying to be positive and thankful for what we've got.

There are some jobs I can do for free, you're right though there's a lot of chaff in there that I don't enjoy so much.  There's other projects still up in storage that haven't seen the light of day in years, I can progress them so far without spending anything, but once they get to the "parts list" stage it gets a bit depressing.  Depending where we are in January I might think about thinning the collection, I've got way to much to store anyway!

I've got half of what I need for hop-up vs homebrew, I have all the expensive hop-up stuff, but I still need to source some suitable shocks for Homebrew.  Actually on Saturday afternoon I reassembled the shocks that came on my very first CC01, which was heavily used and modified and was the original inspiration for this thread.  The front and rear shocks are different sizes and brands, and part of me wanted to keep the build a bit more tidy - I wanted some narrow coilovers like modern scalers have - but if I scavenge parts for now I can at least progress the thread and maybe fit new shocks later once things are a bit easier.

Once that's done then I'm probably out of hop-ups anyway, I didn't really want to get into planetary gearboxes and the like, but I always planned to rebody both cars (I already have both bodies in storage so that's a low-cost option).  Then homebrew will continue to evolve as I discover new things I can do with it.

I always wanted to add a 3rd car with entirely 3D printed parts (I even started designing an entire new front end to replace the brick) but I don't think it's possible with resin and I don't like to keep "borrowing" my mate's FDM printer.

A bit more positivity in today's update :)

As it was the first weekend officially out of Lockdown 2.0 (and unofficially in Lockdown 2.1) I had planned on going out somewhere alone just for the sake of it, but when it came to it I actually realised I wanted to stay home and make progress on some projects.  Well, actually, I'd have liked to go racing, but there was no racing on besides a RWD challenge about 5 hours drive away that I didn't have an eligible car for, so I passed up on that and lit the log fire instead.

Firstly, I went and found the motor and gearbox assembly for the Grand Hauler tipper, which I couldn't find last week.  Read about my progress here:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/94699-6x6-grand-hauler-tipper-truck/&do=findComment&comment=834460

Then, having ordered some cheap winch controllers from Banggood, I got started installing the front winch servo to the CFX-W.  Catch up on the latest in this thread:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96310-mst-cfx-w-j45c/&do=findComment&comment=834724

Not a whole lot more to report other than that I've got my enthusiasm for projecting back.  I've spent December's budget on bits I need to finish the CFX-W, which is OK because it's the latest new-build in the fleet and I bought it to drive, not to put on the shelf and look at.  And there's still plenty of stuff I can do that doesn't need spending money on.  For that matter, there's a lot I can do in front of a screen if it's too cold to be in the workshop, as I've got through a fair amount of firewood already and we haven't even had any really cold days yet.  Plus I seem to be getting my interest back for creating music as well, and there's lots of stuff needs finishing.  Having so much stuff I can do makes me a bit more excited about having the time to do it :)

• Like 1

I didn't get my workshop day this weekend as I took the opportunity to get out in the sunshine instead.  Life at the moment involves a lot of being stuck indoors without being able to see the sky, so when the forecast for Sunday was good, I decided to take a trip to the coast before Headmaster Johnson puts us all in detention again.  Also had a little mini-meet with the CFX-W and gave it a good run.  Pics here:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96310-mst-cfx-w-j45c/&do=findComment&comment=836024

I also ran the TXT-1 on a shale beach, where it ran really well for about 2 minutes until the driveshafts came loose again.  So I've added a project heading for TXT-1 and a single job to resolve that problem.

I also added the Hotshot-rere as a project heading, because I have decided I will rebuilt it in 2021 with a custom chassis and run it as my 4wd entry in the Revival, giving the Top Force a bit of a rest for a while.  Also as I have a Super Hot Shot re-re to build, that will be a 'spare' car in case my custom chassis car gets broken.  Having a spare car takes a lot of stress out of a major vintage race meet.

It's been a while since my last update, but I have managed to have a few days in the workshop since then.  First day was Sunday 27th, the family were occupied watching Christmas films so I went out and got some things done.

First I fixed the broken servo on the CFX-W

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96310-mst-cfx-w-j45c/&do=findComment&comment=836821

Then I started painting the wheels for the long-neglected TA02 Celica project

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93964-ta02-celica-gt4-rally-rebuild/&do=findComment&comment=838268

Then I sorted some lights and hired a driver for my Truck of Many Wheels

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/92468-truck-of-many-wheels-g6-01-king-blackfoot/&do=findComment&comment=838272

The following Tuesday I started building my SMT10 and had trouble with a bearing that wouldn't fit

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/96930-gloryhammer-smt10-race-truck/

I then got another day to myself on New Year's Eve, when I finished off the Celica wheels and then caught up with Adam and Nigel's F150 build

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/93650-f150-scaler-build-cc01-word-and-pic-heavy/&do=findComment&comment=838899