Grumpy pants

Talk to me about Lipo batteries.

So I am at the point were I need to replace my NiMH batteries which are on their way out.

I’ve resisted Lipo up to now, but I am open to making that move across.

I run my Konghead which is brushless and I plan to run a Lunchbox and Blitzer Beetle in the near future. 

Any tips on what to buy and where from- safety and reliability come 1st.

Not massively interested in going so fast the car disintegrates on impact, but a good thrash about is  required!

I have this charger which owes me nothing and if it can reused is obviously better for my pocket, but it’s not essential 👍

image.jpg

Life batteries are a little slower but much, much, much safer. They dont damage easily when you over discharge and are better at being left discharged. They charge to 6.6v as opposed to 7.4v so dont provide the punch you'll get from lipo's. Its been far to long since I ran NiMh so can't offer a comparison although I am sure someone will pass by.

• Thanks 1

Battery:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-4000mahr-7-4v-30-60c-2s-lipo/rc-car-products/388538

I’ve 3, fit all the various Tamiyas I have. Konghead can take bigger, but the lunchy and Blitzer will prefer these.

From the look of the picture, you need something like this

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-male-deans-to-two-4-0mm-male-connector-adaptor/rc-car-products/39237

You already have the balance board, just needs plugging in and checking the charger does balance charging.

ESC wise, what do you run?

Hobbywing 1060s have a lipo setting, so they go slow when they hit a discharge level. The Tamiya ones don’t, so you need a lipo alarm to let you know where you’re at:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-lipo-voltage-checker-warning-alarm/rc-car-products/406668

(massively cheaper on eBay for these)

You’ll need to change your ESC connector for a Deans Male connector for the above. Tamiya plugs aren’t rated for the current draw I believe, so can get hot and melt.

Sack like this for charging:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-lipo-safe-sack/rc-car-products/38313

That should be it I think. Just treat it with respect, and you’ll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have just started to use LiPo batteries first time ever in about May this year. had no problems so far, and has worked great. taking good care of it and it will be just fine.

other things i have found out:

the power supply of LiPo is consistent for the majority of the run time, as with NiMh it gradually gets sluggish before running of of battery.

you may want to have a cut-off voltage set with the ESC, as too low voltage can damage the battery.

LiPo batteries with two cells (2S) or more requires a charger that can balance charge.

LiPo's requires a storage charge once in a while.

leaving LiPo batteries at full charge over longer periods of time can damage the battery.

when charging, put the LiPo in a safe charge bag (sold at hobby shops).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Buy new , branded products ,from a reputable outlet. Not eBay or Amazon etc.

Once you have a feel for , what's normal, stay away from 2nd hand or cheap stuff. By all means, once you've got a grips with things buy wherever you want.

I'm sure you've done a bit of homework, but - 

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I to resisted LiPo because of all the horror stories you hear. That was until a holiday in the States. Visiting a large Hobby shop there a cabinet, well more like an oversize wardrobe really, full of hundreds of LiPo batteries in it on display with not a fire extinguisher in sight. So I thought they can't be as bad after all as that if somebody has his livelihood sitting alongside the potential of starting WW3 without a worry.

For piece of though mind buy the best quality battery you can afford from the start.

• Thanks 1

This all great information gang.

Thsnk you!

Will ponder, check my pennies and then pull the trigger 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

full of hundreds of LiPo batteries in it on display with not a fire extinguisher in sight.

I've never heard of a Lipo just bursting into flames, they've always been when they're being charged or punctured during use ,which is why charging in a charge bag, not charging unattended, and hardcase ,is advised for off road.

Race meetings, we have upto 120 people, charging 3 - 4 lipos many times a meeting, and in the 5 years I've been back racing, I've still not seen one go up, it's like plane crashes, when it does happen, it's big news, and gets spread on social media etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Wooders28 said:

I've never heard of a Lipo just bursting into flames, they've always been when they're being charged or punctured during use ,which is why charging in a charge bag, not charging unattended, and hardcase ,is advised for off road.

Race meetings, we have upto 120 people, charging 3 - 4 lipos many times a meeting, and in the 5 years I've been back racing, I've still not seen one go up, it's like plane crashes, when it does happen, it's big news, and gets spread on social media etc.

I’ve also heard/seen a photo that it’s not a good idea to leave a fully charged one in a hot 1:1 car out in the sun either. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've seen the aftermath of one at a race meet, it was outdoors and no harm done (except to the car it was in but that wasn't my car). And another meet they told us at drivers briefing about the previous meet when one went up too. 

But, I know plenty of people who charge at high rates and don't use lipo bags and they haven't had any problem. Some happily charge 4 packs at once with no safe bags in the back of their car, maybe they want their insurer to buy them a new car?

I always balance charge at 1C, use lipo bags, stop using batteries when they show some puff or IR gets too high or too different between cells and so far haven't had a fire. Also, definitely use hard case. I have had batteries fly out of cars in a bad crash. I have also switched exclusively to lipo now since my NiMH died and they are actually pretty easy to manage, and well worth it. It helps my son can handle a car with a silvercan on 2S in our backyard though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I've seen the aftermath of one at a race meet, it was outdoors and no harm done (except to the car it was in but that wasn't my car). And another meet they told us at drivers briefing about the previous meet when one went up too. 

Wow! 

Either very unlucky, doing something wrong or you've a lot more people racing?

In a car, so guessing it was a hard crash?

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I know plenty of people who charge at high rates and don't use lipo bags

Some of the new lipos state they can be charged upto 5C, but I'd still be dubious,  and defo wouldn't be pulling it warm out of the car, and charging at 5C!

In the UK, it's mandatory to charge in a charge bag. If you're caught not doing, the 1st time is a gentle reminder, 2nd time a, not so gentle, 3rd time, get your stuff and get out of the club.

• Like 1

I made the jump a few months back. I treat it just like my Ni batteries. Charging is a little different. No regrets so far...  *knock on wood*

Terry

• Like 2