wonko

Keeping Decals Pristine

Looking at a friend's TT-02 with a Ferrari body, it seems pretty easy to mess up the decals and chip paint during an accident.

I'm brand new to this hobby, and my assumption was the decals went on the inside of the body and then the paint was applied over them.  Obviously, this isn't the case, but I'm curious if that's possible.

Is there any other way to protect the outside of the body?  Some sort of high-gloss polyurethane or something?

Thanks!

Not really as the body is polycarbonate and flexes when it's in an impact. The only way to guarantee protection for the outside of the body is to put the model in a glass display case, lock it, and throw away the key. :D

You can of course mask off some of the inside of the body and then paint on the colour scheme. Take for instance the white panels on the hotshot bodyshell. If you cut out the white panels off the decal sheet and then stick them on the inside of the shell on the opposite side to which they are intended for, you can then spray the main body colour over the decals, then when the paint is dry (or you've put on enough coats), peel off the decals and put a layer of white on. 

Just now, MadInventor said:

Not really as the body is polycarbonate and flexes when it's in an impact. The only way to guarantee protection for the outside of the body is to put the model in a glass display case, lock it, and throw away the key. :D

That's what a buddy told me.  LOL.  "Make a 'Trailer Queen' body and then one for actually using."

1 minute ago, MadInventor said:

You can of course mask off some of the inside of the body and then paint on the colour scheme. Take for instance the white panels on the hotshot bodyshell. If you cut out the white panels off the decal sheet and then stick them on the inside of the shell on the opposite side to which they are intended for, you can then spray the main body colour over the decals, then when the paint is dry (or you've put on enough coats), peel off the decals and put a layer of white on. 

That's a VERY interesting idea!!  I might try to do something like that.

You can get reverse decals from MCI you stick on the inside.  I tried them on my bigwig but the paint from the inside showed through, I think if you backed them in white before you applied them it could fix it.  In the end I decided it was too much hassle!