Seanster43

Slight Dilemma

As some of you may know I acquired another TB-01 recently, unfortunately it is mint as in too good to enjoy outside mint.  My problem is here. I have a shelf queen TRF201 that is almost complete and now 2 mint TB-01 Chassis but only one shell (Will come to that bit soon) I want to run at least one of them what would you do?  The 2 TB-01’s are in mint condition I don't think they have seen outside at all however I only have the one shell and its in good condition so wouldn't mind it getting used. One of my TB-01 chassis has all the hop up goodies on it, alloy motor mount stabiliser set, turnbuckles etc and the other one is stock with bearings. So that leaves me with the choice of do I run the hopped up one or the non hopped up one and concentrate on making the shelf queen complete with a decent shell and use the existing shell on the hopped up one.  Or do I get another one thats in used condition and enjoy it with the shell? (Don’t Tell The Wife)  Do any of you have more than one of the same chassis for a shelf queen? Lastly the TRF201 is another mint chassis but I reckon it’s too good for a basher am I mad? 😂  All this comes down to lack of space at the moment unfortunately!  Not saying I’m getting rid but maybe stored in the loft for a later date. On a serious note guys thank you as always for your input! 

Sean

• Like 1

Depends what gives you the most enjoyment. I don’t ‘get’ the whole shelf queen thing personally, these cars are built to be used, abused and enjoyed, imho of course.

• Like 2

Yeah thats a fair point when I had the time to use them years ago it was always about how quick I could charge the spare battery! 

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a fully hopped-up TB01 pretty much the equivalent of a TRF201? In which case why would you want to have THREE shelf queens of the same style of buggy? I say keep the TRF on the shelf (that may be worth a pretty penny someday), and enjoy the TB01s, starting with the hopped-up one and using the standard one for spares if need be. On the other hand, if you really want to have a shelf-queen TB01 then enjoy the stock one, they're pretty competent right out of the box as I've heard.

Edit: Actually I was wrong here. I mistook the TB01 for the DN01 which is in fact very similar to the TRF201. Sorry!

Edited by DeadMeat666
I was wrong lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The TRF201 is a high grade buggy, but no longer the latest high grade buggy, yet also not yet old enough to be vintage. I'd say it is in the sweet spot for bashing duties, with spares still available and not ludicrously expensive. 

The TB-01 is a great rally chassis, and if it is to be used in this way, bling tends to get scratched up, so I'd say enjoy using the stock one and keep the hopped up one pristine.

Rally shells live a hard life, so if you have a shell in good enough condition to make it suitable for display, I'd say leave it on the shelf and get one of those cheap expendable Chinese shells with the fake sponsors for running duties. 

• Like 1

Cheers for the opinion guys the TB-01 will have its first outing soon! All the bling bits are on the slightly worse chassis so reckon it’s only fair to run it 😂. Going to get rid of 1 out of the 3 though still not sure if I’ll keep the trf or a shelf a Tb-01 and run one!