MadiDawg79

DF03 wheels and tyres

Hi, during lockdown I bought my first RC, a DF03 Dark Impact. I’ve done some hop ups and installed a sensored brushless set up. I am now looking to improve the wheels and tyres however, there are some compatibility issues due to the large brace mouldings inside the wheel. Can anyone recommend some. I’m looking for road and off-road. TYIA. 

• Like 1

Hello, and welcome to the forum. I see this is your first post.

I'll make it very easy for you. I have a DF03, and I've tried several different wheel options. The front lower arms are a little wider than most other cars, causing a vast majority of other Tamiya wheels to have interference at full steering lock, so don't bother with those. Standard 2.2 inch 4wd dish wheels that you see on TLR and Associated buggies should work fine as long as they have 12mm hex fittings on them, along with compatible tires of course. Just make sure the internal spokes of the wheels you buy aren't sloping in too aggressively. If you want NICE wheels that have some sort of design on them instead of a boring flat dish, you're pretty much stuck with either the stock black wheels of the Dark Impact or the identical (but yellow) wheels of the Avante Mk II which is also a DF03.

I may be wrong, or might've missed wheels that actually fit, and if so I'm sure someone else on here will correct me, but honestly I'm pretty confident in my findings. They're from first-hand experience.

Hope that helped!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome on board! To add to @DeadMeat666 comments, the DF03 dish wheels also come in Pink (47398 / 47399) and White (53880 / 53881) and all fit the kit tyres

• Thanks 1

Can't say I've had bother getting wheels to fit the df03 tbh.

For on road, I ran the Fastrax Arrow - 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-arrow-1-10th-buggy-tyres-pre-mounted-on-spoked-wheels-2-rear/rc-car-products/33227

And running these atm, 1/8 - 17mm hex spigot adapters and running DBoots 

2020-08-18_11-08-23

For off road, the stock df03 wheels, but Schumacher Cat wheels do fit...just (could run slightly wider 12mm hexes if need be, cheap enough on ebay)

2020-07-30_10-49-46 2020-07-30_10-49-31

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:46 PM, MadiDawg79 said:

I’ve done some hop ups and installed a sensored brushless set up.

I hope the rear diff mods, and slipper ,where on the list? 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 12:59 AM, Wooders28 said:

I hope the rear diff mods, and slipper ,where on the list? 

They were indeed 👍 

• Like 1

You can fit any 2.2" buggy tyre to the Dark Impact wheels. I use Schumacher buggy tyres, plenty of choice, readily available and much cheaper than tamiya tyres. Schumacher also do tyres in 4 grades so you can choose a harder compound for bashing so they last longer. I just fitted a new set of front and rear mini pin spikes today to the DF03 wheels fitted to my thundershot, got the tyres from Modelsport and paid approx £14 for the full set. (Parts numbers are U6517 and U6518 for the blue compound) and you will need a set of foam inserts too, I use medium grade and they are about £1 each.

1086506714_thundershot1(1).thumb.jpg.5529bd8574057ce2abe31b67dd5599b1.jpg

thundershot1 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Just remember to buy the 4WD front tyres not the 2WD, it is often quite easy to add the wrong ones to the basket as the pictures all look the same. The fronts are available in two widths, the slightly wider fronts for the 4WD cars but the rears just come in one width to suit all, well certainly they do on Schumacher 2.2" buggy tyres.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Hey @mud4fun! Long time no see. How have you been?

Very well thanks! It has been a busy decade or so. I had a break from 1:10th scale to concentrate on 1:1 - since I was last on here regularly I've renovated a house, landscaped a garden, restored two Series Land Rovers, had two more children, got divorced, got made redundant, went self employed and worked 70hrs a week for 7 years and am now finally settled down. Kids are all teens or have left home and I find myself with a bit more free time. However the youngest two kids have started to get more serious about RC cars, one has just bought a new Terra Scorcher and the other is building a crawler with me. Hopefully once all this lockdown stuff is lifted the kids and I would like to get to a Tamiyaclub meet. My eldest and I have fond memories of our meets in Clumber Park way back in 2003-2005. You?

That is a busy 10 years! I'm slowing down a bit, but still plugging away at the hobby myself.

• Like 1