FC5687

TRF503

Hello!
Any comments about TRF503?? It that worth what they are asking?? 

The TRF503 costs way more than the Schumacher CAT L1 EVO.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, FC5687 said:

Hello!

Thanks!

No, it’s not worth what they’re asking. The Schumacher will run it out of the building. Tamiya is for looks and nostalgia nowadays. That’s why it’s not relevant in off-road anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It will still be fast in the right conditions. It was released in 2014, so is probably suited to tracks that were around then. There will still be some, so it could be the fastest car at the right track. I ran a Kyosho Lazer ZX6 which is a great high grip carpet car, but I was using it on dirt. Switched to HB D418 and picked up 2 secs a lap (45sec lap) immediately with the same electronics, because the HB is great on dirt.

There will be other things like maintenance and parts support will be easier on newer cars.

So I wouldn't pay the premium for it, and even at the same price would choose a newer modern buggy because of parts and setup support, but it could bs fast in the right hands. My hands aren't the right hands though, too slow!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

It will still be fast in the right conditions. It was released in 2014, so is probably suited to tracks that were around then. There will still be some, so it could be the fastest car at the right track. I ran a Kyosho Lazer ZX6 which is a great high grip carpet car, but I was using it on dirt. Switched to HB D418 and picked up 2 secs a lap (45sec lap) immediately with the same electronics, because the HB is great on dirt.

There will be other things like maintenance and parts support will be easier on newer cars.

So I wouldn't pay the premium for it, and even at the same price would choose a newer modern buggy because of parts and setup support, but it could bs fast in the right hands. My hands aren't the right hands though, too slow!

The D418 is just so sexy.

HB-Racing-D418-Buggy-1-770x536.jpg

I see it on display and a few others whenever I go to my friends shop who also distributes HB and HPI. As much as I want a buggy, I halted from getting one and went for a light crawler/trailer instead which is the MST CFX. At least I can now crawl/trail with my daughter when she drives the CC-01.

Sorry OP. Like they said, it's too much. If I were to buy a 4WD buggy, I'd choose the D418 anytime.

• Like 1

My friend preferred the Kyosho re-release Optima with belt and ball diff upgrade over the TRF503.

I cannot imagine so many people has negative feeling about this vehicles

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

The D418 is just so sexy.

HB-Racing-D418-Buggy-1-770x536.jpg

I see it on display and a few others whenever I go to my friends shop who also distributes HB and HPI. As much as I want a buggy, I halted from getting one and went for a light crawler/trailer instead which is the MST CFX. At least I can now crawl/trail with my daughter when she drives the CC-01.

Sorry OP. Like they said, it's too much. If I were to buy a 4WD buggy, I'd choose the D418 anytime.

Very Nice! What do you think Yokomo YZ4 and Serpent Spyder SDX-4??

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, FC5687 said:

Very Nice! What do you think Yokomo YZ4 and Serpent Spyder SDX-4??

Any of the modern race kits are brilliant.  There will be some differences between them, like weak points or ease of maintenance etc, but overall any could win the A main.  Some are better for different track conditions too, most are for high grip tracks, some are better on dirt.  Many offer carpet and dirt versions.

I haven't seen many Serpent's at the track, but plenty of Yokomo's.  People love them, but I don't know much about them.  

22 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

No, it’s not worth what they’re asking. The Schumacher will run it out of the building. Tamiya is for looks and nostalgia nowadays. That’s why it’s not relevant in off-road anymore. 

Hahahaha, what!? The 503 can hold its own just fine against the others . Not much has changed in the 4wd world!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, GTodd said:

Hahahaha, what!? The 503 can hold its own just fine against the others . Not much has changed in the 4wd world!

I have seen a Schumacher CAT XLS Masami run few years ago, and it still a very high performer! Very high performer!!

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

You guys are funny. Don’t be blinded by the  Tamiya love. ( I like Tamiya too but understand their place in the grand scheme of things if you’re talking about performance). There’s a reason they don’t try to compete in the competitive off-road  scene anymore.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 4:42 AM, FC5687 said:

Hello!

Thanks!

I'll chuck my hat in the ring. 

The 503 is expensive because there are not many of them. It's out of production. It's collectable. Additionally, it's also a really, really nice kit. Probably one of the nicest made. Few kits + bit of demand = high prices. 

Could you win the A final the Worlds with it? Probably not. This is because the tracks are designed with input from the manufacturers. The manufacturers have an idea of what tracks should be, and they design cars to be fast on those tracks. As Tamiya is out of the game, few high profile tracks will be sympathetic to the 503's design. But this is all a distraction because not lapping fast enough to win the A final at the Worlds is not your problem.

On an average club track that isn't evolving at the Worlds pace, a well set up and prepared 503 can be competitive. BUT. It will take time to find the set up - you'll have to do all the experimentation yourself as you'll be the only 503 at the track. Other racers, who will all be driving the same chassis, will find the optimal set up quickly, because there are lots of them, and they try different set ups and share the results, then everyone copies the best set ups. So there's some truth in the claim that modern buggies will drive it out of the building. But it's not because their basic design is fundamentally faster - as above, not a whole lot has changed - it's because people have found ways to make slightly different designs faster through high volume experimentation. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

You guys are funny. Don’t be blinded by the  Tamiya love. ( I like Tamiya too but understand their place in the grand scheme of things if you’re talking about performance). There’s a reason they don’t try to compete in the competitive off-road  scene anymore.

They COULD anytime they want.... Sadly they've just seemed to bow out. Although I used to Race Buggies in the 80's and 90's (Team Associated, then OFNA)....  It did get frustrating sometimes, feeling like I'd qualify for a pole position on Friday, only to find that my Car was obsolete by the A Main!!! 😜

OK, exaggeration. But the pace was certainly too hot in that period. Maybe Big T no longer wants that rapid development pace.

I'd say that it is certainly possible to get it on pace at your local club, it's a sound design and those TRF kits sure are nice to build.

For god sake don't get one though because you'll have the Devils own job finding spares for it, and that's a big part of the equation when you race.
I don't race, but I've talked to enough people who do to realise this.

I remember Team Durango being the ducks nethers in high quality racing kits years ago. In a relatively short time frame though people were offloading them quite cheap cause the spares dried up. I'm not sure why, but there it is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pablo68 said:

I'd say that it is certainly possible to get it on pace at your local club, it's a sound design and those TRF kits sure are nice to build.

For god sake don't get one though because you'll have the Devils own job finding spares for it, and that's a big part of the equation when you race.
I don't race, but I've talked to enough people who do to realise this.

I remember Team Durango being the ducks nethers in high quality racing kits years ago. In a relatively short time frame though people were offloading them quite cheap cause the spares dried up. I'm not sure why, but there it is.

Team Durango went out of business hence parts ran out. A lot of people ran them at my club until then though, and a few still run. They were pretty bulletproof, it was a shame they disappeared. Parts are a big one though, I'm lucky at my offroad club as a guy has a trailer full trackside so i can get most things and don't have to carry spares. Onroad is a different story, even though a few shop owners race none carry any spares with them so I've had to buy spares before i need them.

• Like 1

As stated already, if you're going to race buy a car that has readily available spare parts, if you want to be competitive you are going to break stuff (unless you are an exceptional driver competing with other exceptional drivers who rarely crash - where's the fun in that). The TRF will be competitive, right up until you break something, then you're sidelined waiting for the rare part to show up on eBay.

Schumacher have good spares in the UK, I'd go for summat from them, best bet go to your local club, see what people are racing, and have a chat, most people at clubs can't wait to bore you to death (I mean give sage advice) about which car works best there.

But, if you want a 503, get one, just get a spare one to keep to one side, just in case you need bits.

• Like 1

One more question for you guys. I'm curious whether both Durga and TRF 503 share sane hop up parts for transmission section?

3 hours ago, FC5687 said:

One more question for you guys. I'm curious whether both Durga and TRF 503 share sane hop up parts for transmission section?

Not really. The 503 moved away from the others in the series with larger diff gears and longer belts. A few parts are interchangeable. The Durga is more like a plastic TRF511. 

As far as I know, the tamiya 54329 differential Is made for the following cars.

TRF501x/WCE/TRF511/TRF503/DB-01/DB01R)

8 hours ago, FC5687 said:

As far as I know, the tamiya 54329 differential Is made for the following cars.

TRF501x/WCE/TRF511/TRF503/DB-01/DB01R)

Generally the applicability of parts to models is pretty well documented, so if it says DB01 on the pack, it will fit the DB01. It may require other parts, such as a longer belt with more teeth, should the diff spur be from the 503. 

You'll learn a lot by comparing the DB01, 503, 501, 511 and DB01R/RR/RRR manuals. 

Had a look for you - the DB01 uses a 37t differential spur. The DB01RRR and 503 use the same 39T geared diff, so the 503 diff will go in the DB01 chassis, but it will (probably) need a longer belt.

7 hours ago, Howards said:

Generally the applicability of parts to models is pretty well documented, so if it says DB01 on the pack, it will fit the DB01. It may require other parts, such as a longer belt with more teeth, should the diff spur be from the 503. 

You'll learn a lot by comparing the DB01, 503, 501, 511 and DB01R/RR/RRR manuals. 

Had a look for you - the DB01 uses a 37t differential spur. The DB01RRR and 503 use the same 39T geared diff, so the 503 diff will go in the DB01 chassis, but it will (probably) need a longer belt.

Thanks for explanation! So 54329 is 503 diff?

6 hours ago, FC5687 said:

Thanks for explanation! So 54329 is 503 diff?

Big edit. No, 54329 uses the 37t diff spur. It will drop in fit the 511 and DB01. It will go in the 503 and DB01RRR but you might find you get belt slack that can't be adjusted out due to the decrease in diameter of the spur. You might be able to buy the replacement 39t spur and just swap it out. Not sure. You'd need to verify that.

Also, FWIW these diffs might have originated in a touring car chassis. 

What are you trying to do? Upgrade a DB01 or get a 503 rolling again?

6 hours ago, Howards said:

Big edit. No, 54329 uses the 37t diff spur. It will drop in fit the 511 and DB01. It will go in the 503 and DB01RRR but you might find you get belt slack that can't be adjusted out due to the decrease in diameter of the spur. You might be able to buy the replacement 39t spur and just swap it out. Not sure. You'd need to verify that.

Also, FWIW these diffs might have originated in a touring car chassis. 

What are you trying to do? Upgrade a DB01 or get a 503 rolling again?

It would be pain if doing that as it would be pain to access parts for TRF 503. Most has been discontinued 

Yep. 503 specific stuff like chassis and bulkheads will be very hard to get hold of. 

DB01 stuff is still relatively available. From reading around, the DB01 cars were more raceable for parts availability and cost reasons at the time anyway, and their performance was good enough so that you didn't have to buy a TRF car. Hence they did the RR and RRR versions.