FC5687

TRF503

Personally if you want to race get a Cat L1 Evo. Those cars are hard to beat and spares are easy to get. Schumacher is a UK company and their spares supply is much better than Tamiya.

Buy the 503 is you want to do some light running for fun and then have for display as they are collectibles.

Actually my friend us seeking belt drive 4WD from either Tamiya or Schumacher. I have sent him a link of this thread. Let him make a decision  but I have looked into both 503 and db01rrr, personally I prefer rrr with hop up parts as it looks more secure if come to "dirt running" based on the transmission coverage for protection.

Me has no interested in belt drive 4WD. 

I have top force for years as shaft drive is my favourite type of transmission for 4WD. If I buy a new 4WD, probably either a Yokomo or Associated shaft drive 4WD. 

18 hours ago, Howards said:

Yep. 503 specific stuff like chassis and bulkheads will be very hard to get hold of. 

DB01 stuff is still relatively available. From reading around, the DB01 cars were more raceable for parts availability and cost reasons at the time anyway, and their performance was good enough so that you didn't have to buy a TRF car. Hence they did the RR and RRR versions. 

Regarding 503 and DB01RRR, are they sharing same transmission but different chassis arrangement?

I guess both would be surpassed the CAT XLS even with procat transmission upgrade .

It draws my attention about the carbon reinforced chassis for DB01, looks like ABS, so what is it?

2 minutes ago, FC5687 said:

Regarding 503 and DB01RRR, are they sharing same transmission but different chassis arrangement?

I guess both would be surpassed the CAT XLS even with procat transmission upgrade .

It draws my attention about the carbon reinforced chassis for DB01, looks like ABS, so what is it?

I don’t think a 34 year old Cat XLS would surpass the performance of a DB01 or 503. 

28 minutes ago, FC5687 said:

They share some parts - differentials, tensioners, additional tensioners in the motor mount, pulleys, slipper clutch parts, spur gears. Key difference for transmission is that in the DB01\RRR the motor is mid mounted so the belts are equal length, whereas the 503 has a forward motor, so the belts are different lengths. The 503 only has one pulley for two belts, whereas the DB01 has two separate pulleys next to each other. 

Thinking about the rest of the car, I think they also share wishbones, hub carriers, hubs, UJs - but not entirely sure, might be small differences you can't see from the manual. They don't share any structural parts as far as I know, suspension blocks and mounts, gearbox housing, that kind of thing. 

DB01 chassis is glass enforced injection modelled plastic. It is not the standard shiny Tamiya stuff. It's very, very hard, heavy and very very stiff. The wishbones and most other parts are made from the same stuff. They also do a composite enforced version that is stiffer. 

CAT XLS is very outdated - whilst good for its time the 503 and DB01 will be stronger, more stable, more nimble, easier to work on. They had 20 years to evolve! 

58 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

I don’t think a 34 year old Cat XLS would surpass the performance of a DB01 or 503. 

:D:D:Dexaxtly!! Even i know nothing about both 503 and DB01RRR

But two of my friends bot agree for that. They are big fans of CAT XLS 

41 minutes ago, Howards said:

They share some parts - differentials, tensioners, additional tensioners in the motor mount, pulleys, slipper clutch parts, spur gears. Key difference for transmission is that in the DB01\RRR the motor is mid mounted so the belts are equal length, whereas the 503 has a forward motor, so the belts are different lengths. The 503 only has one pulley for two belts, whereas the DB01 has two separate pulleys next to each other. 

Thinking about the rest of the car, I think they also share wishbones, hub carriers, hubs, UJs - but not entirely sure, might be small differences you can't see from the manual. They don't share any structural parts as far as I know, suspension blocks and mounts, gearbox housing, that kind of thing. 

DB01 chassis is glass enforced injection modelled plastic. It is not the standard shiny Tamiya stuff. It's very, very hard, heavy and very very stiff. The wishbones and most other parts are made from the same stuff. They also do a composite enforced version that is stiffer. 

CAT XLS is very outdated - whilst good for its time the 503 and DB01 will be stronger, more stable, more nimble, easier to work on. They had 20 years to evolve! 

Thanks again for the Inputs!!

I guess the DB01rrr is better overall IMHO. So why the 503 existed I wonder:o

Any hop ups for DB01RRR?

I have built the Schumacher XL thirty some years ago for a fellow, the universal drive shaft is unique. I know none of L1 Evo. Is it very good?

7 minutes ago, FC5687 said:

:D:D:Dexaxtly!! Even i know nothing about both 503 and DB01RRR

But two of my friends bot agree for that. They are big fans of CAT XLS 

If you are looking to buy a TRF car I do have a 501x for sale in the for sale section of this forum.

22 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

If you are looking to buy a TRF car I do have a 501x for sale in the for sale section of this forum.

I will forward the info to my friend. Sorry my friend is a Chinese fellow and not very good in English written. Thanks anyway!

3 hours ago, FC5687 said:

I guess the DB01rrr is better overall IMHO. So why the 503 existed I wonder

DB01 straddled the period where stick pack NIMH were still a thing and the move to lipo and then shortie format lipo. Basically the chassis layout wasn't great for lightweight batteries. The 503 was designed from the off to have lightweight straddle lipo batteries so will be better balanced with contemporary power options. Hence forward motor location etc. There should have been another 'D' series buggy that would have consumerised this layout in the same way the DB01 consumerised the 511 and 501 layouts but that never happened and Tamiya abandoned buggy racing. :(

Now it makes more sense. My friend just I fired me that he has a hard time to get the RRR. Most shop are "sold out" 

1 hour ago, FC5687 said:

Now it makes more sense. My friend just I fired me that he has a hard time to get the RRR. Most shop are "sold out" 

Those cars are hard to find now.

@FC5687 where are you finding a db-01 rrr? thats a unicorn from tamiya. whats the point of this converstion? youre not picking up an rrr 

2 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

@FC5687 where are you finding a db-01 rrr? thats a unicorn from tamiya. whats the point of this converstion? youre not picking up an rrr 

Very easy these days. Google search for "Tamiya db01RRR kit".

And you can see the pricing and stock status of this particular one offered by fair amounts of RC online shops, and which is our of stock or sold out 

:D 

On 9/11/2020 at 2:33 AM, FC5687 said:

Very easy these days. Google search for "Tamiya db01RRR kit".

And you can see the pricing and stock status of this particular one offered by fair amounts of RC online shops, and which is our of stock or sold out 

:D 

very easy?i just did what you sugested. nothing in stock anywhere? provide a solid instock link please

8 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

very easy?i just did what you sugested. nothing in stock anywhere? provide a solid instock link please

It shows up several online shop with price and status when we Google search just what I said.

Well .... Should I responsible to any updated and removal of those online stores :(

1 hour ago, Avante2001R said:

Why has this thread turned into back and forth bickering??? :rolleyes:

Yes sir. Sure I hear you. ;)