jonboy1

soldering - what am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

A G-string is still a G-string though - so if you hear Jacob stole someones G-String, you have some problems ahead.....

Ah, I knew it! Bach's "Air on the G string" is actually about well ventilated undergarments!

• Haha 3

Soldering is one of the regular things I do when I work on my turntables refurbishing and RC electronics. From 0.4mm wires all the way to 10 gauge. I never used paste. Paste makes soldering dirty. The technique to clean and effective soldering is to keep the soldering tip always clean and the surface you're applying lead to. Use a hobby knife to scrape a few scratches to show the raw metal/copper/silver/gold surface and lead will quickly adhere. Always apply a small amount of lead to both the surface and wrap the right amount of the lead to the wire where its suppose to be soldered to. As mentioned, power rating of soldering irons/guns will depend on the thickness of the wires. A 30w soldering iron can be used up to 16 gauge. But thicker than that should be soldered with a 60w.

Soldering can be fun if done right but it can also be frustrating. I'll share a documented guide soon. :)

• Like 3

On 9/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, Juggular said:

For Aussies, please be mindful of the word "thongs" when visiting USA.  Old ladies might have an heart attack if your child yells across the pool, "Dad, can I take your thongs? Jacob stole mine."  These are definitely not called 'thongs' in USA.  

y7q8nxP.jpg

'Round here that's a "chancla". Chanclas are for whoopins.

IMG_0713.JPG

• Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:32 PM, SupraChrgd82 said:

'Round here that's a "chancla". Chanclas are for whoopins.

IMG_0713.JPG

This was my mothers "discipliner" 

Stainless Steel Burger/Fish Slice Slotted Turner Spatula Kitchen Cooking  Tool | eBay

😨

• Haha 1

Well, I have to say a very big thank you to everyone who offered advice :wub:🤗👍🤠

Yesterday my new soldering iron, flux and brass wool arrived and oh my goodness did they make a difference!!!

What was previously causing me massive amounts of grief and frustration was a breeze and a joy to do!

Thanks very much everyone - you've saved the day again :) 

Definitely "solder". Around here, a "sodder" is someone who commits sodomy...

• Sad 1