Krustybus

Kyosho Beetle - Hop Ups/Motor/ESC recommendations

So then, I've just scored myself a Kyosho Beetle which I'm pretty excited about. Don't know a great lot about them other than I love the quirky looks and I've had previous experience of Kyosho build quality (albeit a long time ago with an Optima Mid Custom)

Anyway, I've purchased this guy as a roller with the intent of picking and choosing my own electrics etc. I need a motor and ESC most importantly. In my Tamiya's I'm using the ususal TBLE02 (or whatever it's called) and one car has a Sport Tuned (Blitzer) and the other a Torque Tuned (Grasshopper). I could rob one of these motors to get the Beetle running but I'm wondering whether this is actually an opportunity to go for a brushless set up. Wondering what experiences people have with this chassis as I don't want to overpower it and pop wheelies every time I blip the throttle too hard! 

Any other tips for set up & hop ups would be appreciated to. 

Thanks in advance :-)

I put a new kyosho Le Mans 490 motor in my scorpion which is pretty perfect with a lipo battery. It is 30 turn, and seems perfectly matched to 2wd. Out of stock everywhere now but I notice there is one on ebay £45 inc postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kyosho-vintage-rerelease-le-mans-motor-490-new-optima-ultima-javelin-turbo-mid/324311140731?hash=item4b8273497b:g:0lMAAOSw-mNfhgg7

and any modern esc eg quicrun 1080 which is £40

• Like 1

I have no idea but I would love to know more as I really fancy one of these too.  Was hoping it would handle a mild brushless. 

Having said that... Surely start with your sport tuned and see how it is?  Easy to go faster later, and free to find out what it's like. I have completely ruined cars by going to fast for the chassis and falling out of love with it as it just undriveable. 

• Like 1

The brushed is very smooth; I’ve found with sensorless brushless (ie cheaper end) they can be a bit coggy at low revs whereas brushed is so smooth.

24C030C3-3701-4821-80F8-80E13BE50093.jpeg.c204dbbcded052045a3e1031b37b6cad.jpeg

I got HW 1080 ESC and a 13T brushed motor. I think it has great speed with the 31T pinion

I just bought a set of "eBay special" 4300k brushless motor with 60A ESC. I want to give that a try, maybe pair with the smaller pinion and see.

For hop ups, I am upgrading to 2.2" tires, that's it. The next would probably add a turbo scorpion wing when the spoiler on the body is toasted. If I can the parts, I will consider upgrading to the wider front end and the 10mm longer wheelbase from turbo scorpion as well. 

I also want to see if there is a way to upgrade the front to 7mm hex.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:44 PM, CoolHands said:

I put a new kyosho Le Mans 490 motor in my scorpion which is pretty perfect with a lipo battery. It is 30 turn, and seems perfectly matched to 2wd. Out of stock everywhere now but I notice there is one on ebay £45 inc postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kyosho-vintage-rerelease-le-mans-motor-490-new-optima-ultima-javelin-turbo-mid/324311140731?hash=item4b8273497b:g:0lMAAOSw-mNfhgg7

and any modern esc eg quicrun 1080 which is £40

Hey! May I know why this motor is perfect for 2WD? I am a rookie in RC, but I always see that anything going higher than 27T is supposed to be for crawlers and cars with need of lots of torque. Why is the 490 perfect for these cars? Is it because of the gears? or wheel size?  Or just because these cars are not intended to be crazy fast? 

I am waiting for my Tomahawk and I was planning to start with a Tamiya Torque tuned which is a 27T, but now I am wondering if it's not a good choice.. is the 490 soooo different? does it have anything special aside of it's sexy looks and name? 

Thanks! 

13 hours ago, esmuz said:

Hey! May I know why this motor is perfect for 2WD? I am a rookie in RC, but I always see that anything going higher than 27T is supposed to be for crawlers and cars with need of lots of torque. Why is the 490 perfect for these cars? Is it because of the gears? or wheel size?  Or just because these cars are not intended to be crazy fast? 

I am waiting for my Tomahawk and I was planning to start with a Tamiya Torque tuned which is a 27T, but now I am wondering if it's not a good choice.. is the 490 soooo different? does it have anything special aside of it's sexy looks and name? 

Thanks! 

All motors are not created equal, the Kyosho 30 t motor would destroy a torque tuned, the Kyosho motor would be closer to a Tamiya 23-25 turn RZ,TZ BZ series motor, which  spins approx 10,000 rpm  Faster and has twice the torque of a silver can style motor

• Like 2

Really? Based on Rcmart website:

• Length: 52.7 mm (Without front bearing housing)
  • Outer Diameter: 36 mm
  • Weight: 185 g
  • Wires: 0.7mm X 30T
  • No Load Speed: 15400 rpm (7.2V)
  • Modified Mabuchi 540-Type

It goes very well! Wheelies a bit with fresh battery and grippy surface, so to me it just suits it well. The magnets etc can be different strength and quality too, so specs won’t always tell the whole story.

• Like 1

Not looked at this thread for ages lol.

Some good discussion there. For what it's worth I set it up with the following:

Hobbywing 1060 ESC

HPI Firebolt 15t brushed motor.

Cheap and cheerful and flies along nicely. I really love how it drives compared to my Blitzer.

Got some Turbo Scorpion 2.2" wheels to go on and a new body to get painted. That's just for the shelf though.

Also planning on fitting Scorpion wheels to my Grasshopper but that's another story 😜

I was given a ReRe Tomahawk by the wife for my birthday, and trying to decide which way to go with a motor for it.  I like the look of the Le Mans 490, but wonder whether a Tamiya GT-Tuned may be a slightly faster option?  Has anybody here put a GT Tuned in a Scorpion/Beetle/Tomahawk?  I want to stay brushed with this build, and do have a spare 27T silver can as well as an HPI Firebolt 15T, but worried this might be a bit too much for this buggy...  I also have a vintage Kyosho Krypton Krystal 14x2, but again, I feel this could be too much motor - thoughts?  I don't want to start stripping gears and generally wrecking the drivetrain.  I will most likely run it on 7.2v nimh. Thanks

The re-re's have updated gear boxes to handle modern brushless power. You won't be wrecking the gears. The bigger problem is how much power before the old school suspension is overwhelmed and hard to drive.

• Like 1