toyolien

2wd 'Basher' for the Winter

3 hours ago, Gruntfuggly said:

I'm surprised more people haven't recommended Stadium Thunder/Blitzer/Beetle. Not a modern chassis, but ticks all the other boxes...

Fun driver for sure but there are a few weak spots that will break quickly if run it often and parts aren't the easiest for it. 

Whats easily available spares wise? My DT-03 has taken a good doin seems to tick a few boxes for you although there has been the odd chassis break reported but cheap enough to replace. Spares aplenty would go with that or the dt-02👍🏻

• Like 1

As much as I hate Traxxas, they are generally an ideal basher car. RTR, cheap brushless motor, lots of replacement parts, and most of all they come with waterproof electronics. 

• Like 1

I’m guilty of owning 5 Traxxas models.. and one of them is my second favorite car... 

but I offset that by owning more than 50 Tamiya kits....

what is the allowable brand ratio on this forum? 

• Haha 5

GF-01, don’t include the front gears & add the front axles from a WT-01, there’s your 2WD... Sorry GF-01 on the brain, oh and plug in the holes 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juls1 said:

I’m guilty of owning 5 Traxxas models.. and one of them is my second favorite car... 

but I offset that by owning more than 50 Tamiya kits....

what is the allowable brand ratio on this forum? 

I believe the correct ratio is 50:50 with a couple of other brands thrown in for variety - at least that's what I tell myself!!

For every T3-01 you need a X-Maxx, for every TT-01 you need a X01... you get the idea ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haven’t had much snow to try out in since I got back to the hobby but I think my WT01N Amarok wouldn’t be a bad bet. Also DT02 Titan and anything on a blitzer chassis

Is the titan dt02 basically the sand viper (540 motor, oil filled shocks, bearings) with a titan body?

On 9/6/2020 at 3:24 AM, SupraChrgd82 said:

As much as I hate Traxxas, they are generally an ideal basher car. RTR, cheap brushless motor, lots of replacement parts, and most of all they come with waterproof electronics. 

yeh i first got my brushed bandit xl5 when there was rare heavy snow here and it was fun on a 2s lipo with the waterproofing, got it on a 3300kv brushless now and it is one of my favs partly because it handles a bit like a bath tub, only ever broke the rear shock tower on it from a dodgy landing from a awkward wheelie and i have had it for a long time, all i added to it was the rpm motor guard that i wheely on and a rpm bumper, plus bearings  :)

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:52 AM, toyolien said:

3) Be tough and not have any known weaknesses

Well, I've been looking for those for as long as I've been in RC. But I gave up.  I've accepted that all will break under certain circumstance. Fixing is part of RC life.  If you thought of Blackfoot diff kind of weakness? Tamiya haven't had major weakness like that for years.  

Having said that, DT02, DT03, DN01, Wild Willy or Comical series are all excellent runners.  DN01 is the most capable 2WD buggy, Comical is just comical.  DT02 and DT03 are somewhere in the middle. For some reason, I like DT02 slightly better. 

(I also like Novafox. I installed the Novafox anti-sway bar to the vintage fox.  It's simplified, but it works better than vintage one)  

• Like 1

I already have a GF-01 (not quite finished), a Wild Willy 2 and a Konghead. All these have had a fair few hop ups, and I'm reluctant to just bash them in all weathers. They are runners, but only usually when it's dry. This thread was to get ideas for a 2wd simple but fun truck/buggy that I can basically have fun with, then just brush off and put away till next time (or with the minimal amount of clean up afterwards). 

Having spent a few evenings doing a little research it strikes me that there's not a lot (if any) new offerings from Tamiya. As much as I love Tamiya, I'm not really that bothered by obsolete or out dated vehicles. However, it seems that there hasn't been anything revolutionary from Tamiya in terms of 'off road' vehicles for quite some time. Most of the currently available off roaders are getting on for 10 years old (DT02, DT03, TT02 etc). Not that that is an issue, and at least that means plenty of spares back up.

I guess I do focus on the bad points instead of just getting something I like the look of and just running it till it breaks.

I've really looked at other brands too. I won't have a Traxxas, never really liked them as a company. I can't get excited by some of the other smaller brands like FTX, Corally, Canyon etc. I do like the look of some of the Arrma products in terms of 'bashability', but there's certainly no finesse, detail or scale looks to their products. I guess they are built to just serve a purpose of landing massive jumps, and I just cant' get into that style of driving. I may as well just pick it up and sling it across the BMX track myself!

So, here I am round in a circle and back to Tamiya again. And the main reason I got in to Tamiya in the first place was their 'Models built for Radio Control' philosophy. A revised Monster Beetle, Blackfoot or Lunchbox on a stretched WR-02 style chassis that would take modern Lipos and an oil filled gear diff, would be spot on. Or, and new 2wd buggy that was a bit tougher and better spec'd out of the box would be nice. But as Tamiya have lost interest in off road, it would seem that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I think I'm going to have to pick something that is currently available. And as everything 2wd that Tamiya offers currently is a re-release except DT02/3, I guess it's going to have to be one of those two. Of course the other option would be an on road car as there are plenty of current offerings of those. But, most of the places I run are parks, fields and off road areas. So, that may mean looking for new places to use an on road car.

For now, I'll keep looking and see what takes my fancy, whilst resisting the urge to just buy an Arrma Granite thing. But, thanks for all the comments so far. Really interesting to read different peoples' views.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I already have a GF-01 (not quite finished), a Wild Willy 2 and a Konghead. All these have had a fair few hop ups, and I'm reluctant to just bash them in all weathers. They are runners, but only usually when it's dry. This thread was to get ideas for a 2wd simple but fun truck/buggy that I can basically have fun with, then just brush off and put away till next time (or with the minimal amount of clean up afterwards). 

Having spent a few evenings doing a little research it strikes me that there's not a lot (if any) new offerings from Tamiya. As much as I love Tamiya, I'm not really that bothered by obsolete or out dated vehicles. However, it seems that there hasn't been anything revolutionary from Tamiya in terms of 'off road' vehicles for quite some time. Most of the currently available off roaders are getting on for 10 years old (DT02, DT03, TT02 etc). Not that that is an issue, and at least that means plenty of spares back up.

I guess I do focus on the bad points instead of just getting something I like the look of and just running it till it breaks.

I've really looked at other brands too. I won't have a Traxxas, never really liked them as a company. I can't get excited by some of the other smaller brands like FTX, Corally, Canyon etc. I do like the look of some of the Arrma products in terms of 'bashability', but there's certainly no finesse, detail or scale looks to their products. I guess they are built to just serve a purpose of landing massive jumps, and I just cant' get into that style of driving. I may as well just pick it up and sling it across the BMX track myself!

So, here I am round in a circle and back to Tamiya again. And the main reason I got in to Tamiya in the first place was their 'Models built for Radio Control' philosophy. A revised Monster Beetle, Blackfoot or Lunchbox on a stretched WR-02 style chassis that would take modern Lipos and an oil filled gear diff, would be spot on. Or, and new 2wd buggy that was a bit tougher and better spec'd out of the box would be nice. But as Tamiya have lost interest in off road, it would seem that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I think I'm going to have to pick something that is currently available. And as everything 2wd that Tamiya offers currently is a re-release except DT02/3, I guess it's going to have to be one of those two. Of course the other option would be an on road car as there are plenty of current offerings of those. But, most of the places I run are parks, fields and off road areas. So, that may mean looking for new places to use an on road car.

For now, I'll keep looking and see what takes my fancy, whilst resisting the urge to just buy an Arrma Granite thing. But, thanks for all the comments so far. Really interesting to read different peoples' views.

Why don't you just build another Konghead for winter then? It's a great basher, simple to work on and you'll have spares if you need them. For variety get a different body style... King yellow, Volvo A60..

I want a 2wd buggy/truck. The Konghead is absolutely fantastic. But, I wouldn't another one not quite as good as the one I already have. I've just found a Sand Scorcher body set I forgot I'd bought some years ago. So, maybe a DT02/3 with that body would fit the bill.

I'd personally go with any of the Traxxas 2wd line (Slash and Rustler are my two favorites), but the Team Associated SC10 RTR series is super solid as well. Fully waterproof, brushless, and many aftermarket options as well. It's available as a buggy, short course truck, and the Trophy Rat is a hybrid stadium/short course. 

I know it’s not 2wd or a buggy, but have you scratched the XV01 itch?

Satisfies most of your original list save 2wd? Xv01t is good value too, if you can cope with the body. Might even squeeze the beetle on there?

other than that, did the wt01 get a mention?

On 9/5/2020 at 7:37 PM, rwordenjr said:

Fun driver for sure but there are a few weak spots that will break quickly if run it often and parts aren't the easiest for it. 

Actual experience or online sources?  What parts are weak, please be specific.  Cheers

18 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

I know it’s not 2wd or a buggy, but have you scratched the XV01 itch?

Satisfies most of your original list save 2wd? Xv01t is good value too, if you can cope with the body. Might even squeeze the beetle on there?

other than that, did the wt01 get a mention?

I do keep looking at the XV-01. I like the Lancia body. Most of my local running areas are quite rough and bumpy, so not really suited to a rally car. However, I may have to scratch that itch at some point.

27 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I do keep looking at the XV-01. I like the Lancia body. Most of my local running areas are quite rough and bumpy, so not really suited to a rally car. However, I may have to scratch that itch at some point.

How about an XV-01T? Convert it to a rally car for the summer? Not sure how it stacks up against some of the other contenders listed.

1 hour ago, wintersdawn said:

Actual experience or online sources?  What parts are weak, please be specific.  Cheers

Actual experience! The weakest parts are the front c hubs for sure. 

F29FF9A2-33DE-4ADE-B571-A41E77E325B2.jpeg

• Like 1

Only weak point I've found on the Blitzer chassis are the where the tub attaches to the front assembly. Easiest fix is to drill all the way through and put two long bolts from top to bottom. Never broken one since.

Can't comment on the C hubs as I use some others so I can fit different wheels. Pretty easy to use different ones though.

• Like 1

I really like the look of the Blitzer Beetle. Spares seem very thin on the ground though.

Pre coronavirus I think spares were widely available? Lots of parts are shared with other models too (e.g. Bearhawk).