toyolien

2wd 'Basher' for the Winter

How about the Vajra? Avante body with big wheels, but the body is from the Aqroshot, which needs a facelift.
I'm buying a Comical Grasshopper for winter bashing. 20mm hub extenders, extra set of rear lower arms to put on the front, for width and camber, and maybe extend the wheelbase as a project. Take off the gear box and move it back 30ish mm, then cut aluminum sheet to make a frame... somehow.

We just fit big wheels & tyres to our thundershot/terra scorchers - makes good winter bashers and 4WD really useful for snow and ice, our 2WD's our useless in snow, slightest hill and they just spin. 

Come spring the big tyres are removed and buggy returned to natural state for summer buggy racing/bashing. No need for a specific car just for winter.

The big tyres increase risk of damaging suspension mounts but generally in snow there is always a nice soft landing or crash.

I know you said 2WD but honestly, thundershots hardly need much maintenance, we only clean ours once a year and rarely have to fix or change anything on them. New bearing every few years and that is it. 

TS5_SNOW2 (25).JPG

TS5_SNOW2 (30).JPG

• Like 3

On 9/4/2020 at 3:48 PM, TurnipJF said:

I'd go for the DT-02 in Desert Gator or Sand Viper guise. The shells are a good close fit for the tub making them well-suited to winter running. The battery bay is rectangular, the gearbox is bomb-proof and easily capable of handling 13.5t. They seem pretty tough too - I haven't broken anything on mine yet.

And timetunnel models in UK have these for a shade I've £100

On 10/16/2020 at 7:33 AM, Metallic said:

How about the Vajra? Avante body with big wheels, but the body is from the Aqroshot, which needs a facelift.
I'm buying a Comical Grasshopper for winter bashing. 20mm hub extenders, extra set of rear lower arms to put on the front, for width and camber, and maybe extend the wheelbase as a project. Take off the gear box and move it back 30ish mm, then cut aluminum sheet to make a frame... somehow.

If you are in the UK I have a Comical GH of sale in the trade section-

• Like 1

Hello. For the winter I use DT-02 Holiday buggy. I am using silver can, since they are naturally waterproof. Then I am using waterproof servo, with additionally greased orings with green slime and optional oring on the output shaft. My spektrum receiver was covered with nail varnish,  mounted up high behind driver head and with drilled drainage holes in the plastic case. I left friction shocks, for some wild suspension action and less maintenance. Tyres are strictly without foams, with cut drain holes on the top of tires, so water can shoot out. Chassis also has drain holes on the bottom. I run sealed bearings in transmission and bushings on wheels. Model literally can be submerged. I abuse it a lot, but the more I run it, the more ot becomes my favourite one. After each run, I hose down the model, dry it on the boiler, spray the chassis generously with GT85 and spray the metal bits, screwpins, axles, wheel bearings generously with WD40. Such way it is ready for next run and will not rust. Oh, and battery is simple nimh, also for less care and more reliability.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Just a thought??

Would be cool but it would need a brushless system to keep up with my ADHD :lol: