Mechanic AH

Need help with my Tamiya 10.5T motor and TBLE-03 ESC, how short can I cut the wires?

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the info I need specifically for the Tamiya components. I'm building a TC01. I have these two components:

Motor: Tamiya TBLM-02S 10.5T Brushless
ESC: Tamiya TBLE-03 Brushless Sensored ESC

The problem I have is that the wires are very long and in the TC01 there isn't much room to tuck the wires cleanly. Unfortunately, this is the first time I'm up against something like this since I mostly do off-road kits. I've attached a picture and you can see how close together the motor and ESC are, and the excess wires. The only way is for the wires to stick out in an unorganized way. My question is:

1. How short can I trim the wires on both components?
2. For the Motor (or ESC), do all the wires have to be cut the same length?
3. If I cut them both short is it ok if I solder the wires together?
4. The ESC (14 awg) and motor (12 awg) wires have different gauges, does it matter if they're soldered together? Or do I remove the motor wires, then take the ESC wires and solder them directly to the motor terminals? The Tamiya ESC doesn't have terminals and the wires are directly soldered into the case/circuit board I assume. If it's doable, I prefer soldering the ESC wires directly so I can salvage the motor wires and not shorten the ESC wires too much. However, I don't know if the ESC wires are too thin of a gauge for the motor.
5. Any other recommendations or best practice to tackle this?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_9510b.jpg

desolder the wires off the motor, then just directly solder the esc wires in the prefered length to the motor plug tabs.

Distance not really that important. 

The ESC wire thickness is fine, especially if they are very short. Don't know why tamiya put that huge 12AWG Wire on there motors. They all come with it, even the 21.5T. Whats stupid is they put those bullet plugs on fancy wire.. the plug is the weak link. 

Juls

• Like 2

Thanks so much, Juls! Really appreciate it. I was actually wondering why the wires on the motor are quite thick and then their ESC uses a smaller gauge. Didn't make sense to me. I also agree on the bullet plugs!

Off topic but the question is already answered.

Are Tamiya motors just Speed Passion motors with a different sticker? The plugs and endbell look the same.

2 hours ago, Juls1 said:

desolder the wires off the motor, then just directly solder the esc wires in the prefered length to the motor plug tabs.

Ive really wanted to do this on a few of my kits to neaten up the birds nest of wires but have been reluctant to because the instructions for the TBLE02S say to unplug the motor from the esc when calibrating the end points.

Does having the motor permanently connected to the esc not have any ill effects when setting it up?

3 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the info I need specifically for the Tamiya components. I'm building a TC01. I have these two components:

Motor: Tamiya TBLM-02S 10.5T Brushless
ESC: Tamiya TBLE-03 Brushless Sensored ESC

The problem I have is that the wires are very long and in the TC01 there isn't much room to tuck the wires cleanly. Unfortunately, this is the first time I'm up against something like this since I mostly do off-road kits. I've attached a picture and you can see how close together the motor and ESC are, and the excess wires. The only way is for the wires to stick out in an unorganized way. My question is:

1. How short can I trim the wires on both components?
2. For the Motor (or ESC), do all the wires have to be cut the same length?
3. If I cut them both short is it ok if I solder the wires together?
4. The ESC (14 awg) and motor (12 awg) wires have different gauges, does it matter if they're soldered together? Or do I remove the motor wires, then take the ESC wires and solder them directly to the motor terminals? The Tamiya ESC doesn't have terminals and the wires are directly soldered into the case/circuit board I assume. If it's doable, I prefer soldering the ESC wires directly so I can salvage the motor wires and not shorten the ESC wires too much. However, I don't know if the ESC wires are too thin of a gauge for the motor.
5. Any other recommendations or best practice to tackle this?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_9510b.jpg

If you give those wires on the motor a tug you’ll see they are attached to bullet plugs that come out of the motor... :)

desolder the bullets and solder them on to your esc wires and boom, job done. 

Need a bit of care to make sure they can be detached / attached and the motor can be mounted and demounted without having to pull the esc off the chassis etc.

27 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Ive really wanted to do this on a few of my kits to neaten up the birds nest of wires but have been reluctant to because the instructions for the TBLE02S say to unplug the motor from the esc when calibrating the end points.

Does having the motor permanently connected to the esc not have any ill effects when setting it up?

In the case of the Tamiya motor, the motor has its own removable tabs at the motor itself. 

in terms of all others, it’s really only the high point setting you should ideally have the motor unplugged.  The rest should be ok. If you do the setup on the bench won’t really matter too much if the motor thrashes about a bit. Same can be said if you just take the wheels off the car. 

Juls

1 minute ago, Howards said:

If you give those wires on the motor a tug you’ll see they are attached to bullet plugs that come out of the motor... :)

Need a bit of care to make sure they can be detached / attached and the motor can be mounted and demounted without having to pull the esc off the chassis etc.

I was making the assumption he knew that. But others did not know that. :P

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Off topic but the question is already answered.

Are Tamiya motors just Speed Passion motors with a different sticker? The plugs and endbell look the same.

I’ve observed the same. Can’t say for sure, but makes me wonder with speed passion gone several years ago who is making the motors now?

48 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

No, it’s fine. Those Tamiya inlines are crap anyway and can melt. All mine are like this. 

3AC627F6-8767-4CFB-A5A4-F41F82C4AAC3.jpeg

22 hours ago, Howards said:

Thanks, Howards! I initially didn't know until I worked on it last night as I started desoldering the old wires. It's my first Tamiya brushless :(.

• Like 1