jupitertwo

Glue for magnetic body mounts

I’ve had a couple of tries at this, and both times the glue has started to affect the PS paint.

So now I’ve a couple of bodies I’d prefer not to use traditional mounts with, but I’m concerned I’ll damage the paint.

What glue(s) has everyone had the best results with? Strong enough for the rare earth magnets, but not affecting PS paint on poly bodies?

Piece of flexible plastic, cut into a strip rather than "spots". Double sided tape this to the area of the bodyshell, then glue the magnets to this, rather than directly to the paint. The larger surface area of the strip of plastic holds better than small spots of double sided beneath the magnets. Appreciate this doesn't work for all bodies, especially those where the rear posts are beneath the rear window...

• Thanks 1

Yep, had the same problem. I’ve discovered ‘foam tac’ glue from Motion RC in the States. That stuff is magic and glues just about anything to anything else :P. Will never be without it from now on.......

regards Kurt

• Thanks 1

I’m using double sided 3M extreme tape used for hanging pictures. Rated for 10kg picture frames which is plenty for keeping body secure and allows magnets to be pulled apart. 

Easy to cut to shape and hasn’t affected paint. 

• Thanks 1

I've always used JB Weld Epoxy. NON reactive to Lexan or Lexan Paint. Makes an unbelievably solid, permanent Bond.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

I've always used JB Weld Epoxy. NON reactive to Lexan or Lexan Paint. Makes an unbelievably solid, permanent Bond.

Is that the two part stuff?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jupitertwo said:

Is that the two part stuff?

Yes. The translucent Bottles, NOT the aluminum tubes with the gray pasty Epoxy.... That's more for Automotive and Plumbing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

Yes. The translucent Bottles, NOT the aluminum tubes with the gray pasty Epoxy.... That's more for Automotive and Plumbing.

Ah ok, cool. [puts away two tubes of steel reinforced epoxy, moves them from rc toolbox to diy toolbox] :D

Thanks all for your input, I think I'll try out some of this 3M tape. I've seen a few magnets advertised with it already, so I'll try there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jupitertwo said:

Ah ok, cool. [puts away two tubes of steel reinforced epoxy, moves them from rc toolbox to diy toolbox] :D

Thanks all for your input, I think I'll try out some of this 3M tape. I've seen a few magnets advertised with it already, so I'll try there.

I have never used Tape for Magnets... So I've got no fair input... I'd like to know how it ends up working. 😊 

The Steel reinforced JB Weld, I've sealed a CRACKED Head once, in my Car, on the side of the Freeway!!! 😲  Great stuff. Amazingly, it has a poor bond to plastic or paint. (Lost a SCX10 Body in a River, finding that out!!) 😖

The Clear JB Weld Epoxy has been great on everything but Engines.