Sign in to follow this  
Mad Ax

Decisions: SCX10 II, TRX-4 Sport, or GMade BOM?

I'm looking at getting another crawler kit to act as my base-level go-to everyday trail/crawler rig.  Basically, if a mate calls and says "fancy a crawl?" I can just pick up the rig and go, without worrying about what state it's in or if it will break half-way into the run.  I have two other crawlers (class 1 Toyota and class 2 Cherokee) but they are both works-in-progress, and are often in pieces on the workbench and need hasty reassembly before I can go out for a last-minute adventure.

For a long time, the GMade BOM has been at the top of my want list purely because I love how they look.  I know I can make any other truck look like that but I'm trying to avoid yet another custom rig - I just want something that looks good straight away.  This thread is really about getting some opinions on the competition, and whether I'd be happier with another option.

Not interested in RTRs - although I don't want a custom project, I still want to enjoy building the kit.

Right now I have 3 items on the list, and I've narrowed down the following pros and cons:

SCX10 II Raw Builders Kit

Pros: very capable rig; good parts support; I get to make it how I want it; I can be a true Axial fanboy

Cons: I already have an SCX10 G6 and might want something different; has additional cost of body, plus wheels and tyres if I don't want to use what I already have; didn't want to embark on another custom project

GMade BOM

Pros: I love the body; can dress it up as a Ford (I have a Ford pickup collection already); should perform well?; LED buckets included; low bed option later with cantilever shocks; I like to be different

Cons: limited to GMade upgrades at a later date; have heard of noisy transmission (early models only?); not sure about parts support?

Traxxas TRX-4 Sport

Pros: I like the body, even though it isn't a licensed replica; various scale parts included; known quantity performance and reliability; TRX owners love their TRXs

Cons: Never really liked the idea of "generic" bodies (even though I kinda like this one); non-TRX owners seem to have something against TRXs

Does anyone know if the TRX-4 Sport body is a "sort-of" version of a real truck?  The closest thing I can find is the Ssangyong Musso, but I'm not sure if there are other pickups from that part of the world that I've overlooked.

Anything else I haven't considered?  I can't really go much above the TRX-4 budget-wise, so can't afford anything from RC4WD or the TRX-4 kit.

If anyone owns any of the above, how do the perform?  What would you change if you could?

If anyone owns more than one of these rigs, how do they compare?

I have a TRX4, started as the Tactical Unit but I removed the difflockers and a lighter body, so basically a Sport with 2 speed now.

Performs fantastic, had  pretty heavy 1/8 SCT setup in it for a while, and handled that without a sweat, no damage whatsoever.

Was in doubt between TRX4 and SCX10 II, but Axial parts support around here is really bad, so that helped me make the decision to go for the TRX4.

• Like 1

Out of the 3 you've listed I'd go with the TRX-4. Best overall performance, huge aftermarket, and is extremely overbuilt. The SCX10 II and the BOM are not bad choices, but the SCX10 II is an old platform at this point (Axial now has the SCX10 III which I'd also take a look at) and while I've never owned a Gmade truck,  I've heard very mixed opinions on them. I'm not sure how easy Team Associated stuff is to get in the UK, but I'd say the Element RC enduro is worth a look. The kit comes with OD gears as standard, excellent shocks, and the option for IFS.

I have both the TRX4 and SCX10ii. TRX4 is a good value with a two speed and lockable portal axles. The downside is that the servos and esc are junk. 

4ED70295-96EF-4005-9450-C0DC03FD142F_zps

I didn’t get a scx10 RTR so I cant compare included electronics. SCX Chassis is lighter and more capable than the TRX

AF348034-D278-4A1A-ABA1-565CCC309EA1_zps

• Like 1

Mucho thankos peeps - I didn't expect to get so many responses so quickly!  TBH I would go for the SCX10-III if it was a bit cheaper, looks like it wants to compete with the full-package TRX-4 on price as well as features.  I love what they've done with it but it's a bit too spendy.  I'd have to save until October, and then miss out on some more kits / parts / equipment until November or later.  I could get one of the others now and have a new budget come into play in October for something else (so many other projects still to finish as the nights draw in...)

53 minutes ago, Bash said:

I'd go with the TRX-4. Best overall performance

31 minutes ago, Shodog said:

SCX Chassis is lighter and more capable than the TRX

This seems to reflect what I see in the greater crawling community - some people prefer one over the other.

A friend of mine started his crawling life with a TRX-4 Defender and a year later bought the Element Enduro builder's kit.  He likes the Enduro, especially as he put his own mark on it (the TRX-4 Defender being RTR and no matter how many aftermarket parts you throw at it, still looks like a TRX-4 Defender), but says he prefers driving the TRX-4.

Since I already have an SCX10 G6, I'm thinking the II would just be more of the same and the TRX-4 (or, indeed, the BOM) would give a different experience in terms of build and running.  My head is saying TRX-4 Sport, my heart still says BOM...

No rush for me to make a decision - knowing me, by tomorrow AM I'll have decided to get something else entirely.

TRX and don't look back. Bash is correct.

I purchased the MST CFX-W just because it was not as so called popular plus the J45C body was just Bad A$$

• Like 1

I know nothing about crawlers and very little about rc in general, but for what it’s worth my BOM arrived today. 

Like you I also looked at the Axial, but the builders kit was expensive considering what else you need. Also didn’t want rtr as building is half the fun. 

Had also read about the transmission problems but according to rccrawler site, all new kits come with redesigned parts which solve the issue. Spares look non existent at the moment but that’s pretty standard for any rc at the moment  Modelsport list them all and a lot have a prospective October arrival date  

In the end, I love the looks and I’m sure it’ll be more than tough enough for my needs. 

• Like 2

I know little about crawlers, but I thought I’d post my BOM just because I could:

D8-B1-FDAE-6-A02-4-B6-A-BD03-57-E3-F037-

I wasn’t sure if I’d make much use of it, so I went for the cheaper option vs an SCX10II etc (RCMart special).

It was a good build, went together nicely and I’ve not had any issues with it. I’ve a 2-speed upgrade to fix for it, but it doesn’t get out too much to really test it. It does do stoppies though, I discovered a few months ago.

I think if you’re planning to customise it, the market around the TRX4 surely has to win out. If you were going to make the bits yourself however...

Have you looked at the MST CFX-W? This beast caught my eye a few weeks ago, thankfully I’ve resisted

https://www.rcmart.com/mst-cfx-w-1-8-4wd-front-motor-high-performance-offroad-car-kit-w-clear-lexan-j45c-body-532182-00100727

• Like 2

Actually the CFX-W J45C is a good shout - I had almost forgotten about that one.  I've been meaning to buy a CMX or CFX for a long time and put a Tamiya body onto it - I have an NIP LC40 body which would look fab on a CFX.  I had overlooked the CFX-W because I want to save that MST goodness for a smaller rig.  That said, the J45C body is a real stunner and I'm sure I'd come up with a great paint job for it.

Stock seems to be a problem at the mo, but I'll add it to my list.

My preference has always been the SXC10.2 due to parts availability and that it has the widest selection of aftermarket parts.  I dont know if that's a regional thing.  If the market is the same for you, I would suggest the Axial. Buying the 2-piece Axial ring gear assy for the 90046 kit makes the SCX10 a very robust truck.  Couple those with a LCG battery tray, front mount servo, and stainless husky links, it will be a fantastic performer.

Our local crawler club has all sorts of vehicles.  From what I've seen, the weak point of each is as follows: Axial's weak point is the sintered ring gear in the axles, Traxxas' is the servos, and the BOM's plastic clamshell trans allows the transfer case gears to skip.

Another option is the Element Enduro, with relatively innovative IFS and overdrive tranny.  I hear it was designed in coordination with an EE that left Axial and was given the opportunity to implement the ideas he had at Associated.  The drivetrain in the the Enduro is flawless.

Many hobbyists in the US avoid Traxxas becauce they were a nail in the coffin for Hobbico, who used to sponsor the big RC conventions.  Traxxas puts money into lawyers and self promotion rather than promoting the hobby.

• Like 2

Money? the destroyer of all that is good.

it's why i buy tools and RC kits keeps me from being evil:lol:

2 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Here is the latest move from Traxxas

https://www.liverc.com/news/traxxas-files-lawsuit-against-maclan/

I feel like the RC hobby is having a hard enough time as it is, there is no need for this kind of crap.

I would go for the Axial because it is one of the OG's and has many hop up parts available.

just when i thought (and it did seem for a while) that the dust cloud was clearing,

what's really in a name? i mean can i trade mark every dang word, sentence and thought and have a never resting life in court? WOW!

who in Bell (rymes with ?) just lies in bed and just thinks to them selves "Who can i sue this day"?.

Sorry A$$ world when all this RC Craft we do is all in fun.

I'm sorry..................................................................................

Well - I managed to find a CFX-W J45C in stock and for a good price, and before I knew it I'd placed the order.  It seems to tick all the boxes - good enough out of the box, an awesome-looking body, and I can pretend it's a Toyota even if it's not officially licenced.

Now I need to work out how I'm going to afford the electrics for it and if I'll go with a traditional 55T 540 or one of these new-fangled 5-slot motors.

I'd go with a 550 can motor for extra power and torque. If you can get Holmes Hobbies motors in the UK my 2 favorites are the Trailmaster sport 21t and the Crawlmaster sport 10t (5-slot). Both run great on 3s and are inexpensive as well. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ACCEL said:

Money? the destroyer of all that is good.

it's why i buy tools and RC kits keeps me from being evil:lol:

just when i thought (and it did seem for a while) that the dust cloud was clearing,

what's really in a name? i mean can i trade mark every dang word, sentence and thought and have a never resting life in court? WOW!

who in Bell (rymes with ?) just lies in bed and just thinks to them selves "Who can i sue this day"?.

Sorry A$$ world when all this RC Craft we do is all in fun.

I'm sorry..................................................................................

If you think the Maclan case is bad, here is a list of all of Traxxas' attempted trademark lawsuits. Most of these were settled privately or dropped by the courts, but it explains alot. https://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam=Traxxas, L.P. &page=1

I have nothing against your choices. All are great. But I heard nice things about the TRX4 and it also has great support and a lot of aftermarket parts compatibility. Have you also considered kits like HPI Venture or MST CMX or CFX-W?

EDIT: Oops! I didn't read all replies. My suggestions were already mentioned. :D

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Well - I managed to find a CFX-W J45C in stock and for a good price, and before I knew it I'd placed the order.  It seems to tick all the boxes - good enough out of the box, an awesome-looking body, and I can pretend it's a Toyota even if it's not officially licenced.

Now I need to work out how I'm going to afford the electrics for it and if I'll go with a traditional 55T 540 or one of these new-fangled 5-slot motors.

the front of my CR-01 Toyota 40 front end looks just like my J45C (the CFX-W Winchester).

It's a Toyota look for sure, just the bed i think sets it apart.

Good Choice, truthfully i like all the Trail & Crawler trucks.

been holding off on the smaller scales for a long winded reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bash said:

If you think the Maclan case is bad, here is a list of all of Traxxas' attempted trademark lawsuits. Most of these were settled privately or dropped by the courts, but it explains alot. https://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pnam=Traxxas, L.P. &page=1

i did not see Maxi-Pad or TJ Maxx or Maximus and a there's a few others they forgot to sue:lol:

Amazing, i knew about the last one but all those, i think in hind sight it's how business is done and how well children are raised,for me i'm a Golden Tamiyan Citizen:o

5 hours ago, Bash said:

If your name is Max, you have to change it. Also, the volume knob on any radio/tv/etc will now say Min and Most.

It is kind of funny that they sued someone for the name Summit then got sued a couple months later by 2 different companies over that name.

Sorry for the derail, they just get me PO'd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I look forward to one Adam and Nigel's "colorful" build threads...

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

I look forward to one Adam and Nigel's "colorful" build threads...

They still haven't finished their F150 build yet.  They can't be bothered to sand off the rear light lenses.

On 9/9/2020 at 7:56 AM, Bash said:

Sorry to derail the topic, but that's just evil-greedy. I guess Sam Kieth's The Maxx comic (and subsequent MTV cartoon adaptation), the Calgary Stampede, Skoal Bandit tobacco products and possibly Marvel's X-Men are all in danger too. Honestly, @Mad Ax, I'd be careful your screen name doesn't fall under the scrutiny of the evil Traxxas lawyers. There's even an "ax" in Axial. Could that be too close to T-Maxx? I should stop giving Traxxas ideas.

• Haha 2