Axisdrive32

Looking for select Tamiya Mini 4wd kits from 1986

Hello everyone! My name is Aries. And I have been a fan of tamiya cars since I have first bought my first mini 4wd kit, a magnum saber, in the early 90s. However, being a kid at that time, I suppose some of you know what it’s like not to have the ability to afford these precious little beasts. I can only drool at them from a nearby hobby store back then. 

Fast forward two decades later, I am already on my 30s and still feel the hole it left in my heart. So, here I am, humbly asking asking for your help to locate these four 1986 tamiya mini 4wd kits that have become a dream for me to find ever since I was a kid. If any of you has any of these  kits, built or unbuilt, please...do let me know. For if I can afford it, I would love to buy it just to rekindle if not revisit a lost childhood that this young boy in me still hopes to find. 

These kits are:

Hotshot Jr. (2901)

Hornet Jr. (2902)

Fox Jr. (2903)

Boomerang Jr. (2904)

Thank you so much guys for at least taking a minute or two of your time to read my post up to this point. Now more than ever, as we all face this pandemic around the world, finding a happy place within our hearts is something I hope all of us can find to keep. I wish everyone stays safe with their family and loved ones and know that I am happy for you if you already found yours; that small piece of joy that makes you truly happy.

So...I hope any of you can be kind enough to help me find mine.

Sincerely,

Aries

61940EC8-A625-4B2C-A916-DAFC7EB71BE8.jpeg

0F3DB270-07F5-4676-BF3A-BDA2E440D6EB.jpeg

891607E5-A6C2-4F6A-B55D-936C81397859.jpeg

Hello Aries, and welcome!

I'm a Tamiya Mini 4WD collector myself and as you probably know already, you've set yourself an ambitious goal. The first four Racing Mini 4WD's are pretty rare, collectible and expensive. There are ways to make it a bit easier and cheaper if you are prepared for a couple of compromises.

You have stated the initial 4-digit item numbers, which means early production in Japan. Later production kits (roughly from late 1987 onwards) have 5-digit item numbers and were manufactured in the Philippines from the early '90's. As item numbers and location of production are printed on the boxes, it's pretty easy to identify time period and location of production. This makes a huge impact on value. So if you would be happy with "5-digit kits" made in the Philippines, it will be considerably cheaper and easier to get the kits.

Furthermore, both the Hornet and the Hotshot have been re-released. Even the re-releases are pretty hard to find now, but are significantly cheaper than the original releases.

Finally, all the four kits you are looking for were offered in the same boxes as "Colour Specials", with tires and chassis in different than standard colours. These are even rarer and more expensive than the standard items. Possibly not what you want, but if you should stumble over a "Colour Special" in your search, they make for great trading items. Especially if you get them at prices more typical for the standard versions.  

So, to summarize: 

Standard versions AND Colour Specials series I, initial production, manufactured in Japan:

2901 Hotshot Jr.
2902 The Hornet Jr.
2903 The Fox Jr.
2904 Boomerang Jr.

Colour Specials series II, manufactured in Japan:

2951 Hotshot Jr.
2952 The Hornet Jr.
2953 The Fox Jr.
2954 Boomerang Jr.

Standard versions  later production, manufactured in Japan and the Philippines:

18001 Hotshot Jr.
18002 The Hornet Jr.
18003 The Fox Jr.
18004 Boomerang Jr.

2006 re-release, manufactured in the Philippines:

18002 The Hornet Jr.*

*identical to original 18002 except for Copyright year on the box lid

2007 re-release, manufactured in the Philippines:

94596 Hot Shot Jr. (Mini 4WD 25 Years Anniversary)**

**identical to 18001 except for item number, Copyright year and "25th Anniversary" logo on the box lid

• Like 3

Thank you sir Mokei. 
I know that it is hard that is why I am hoping that by reaching out to social circles can somehow help me get in touch with people who have an “extra” of these kits that they are willing to part with. I also know that those models released in 1986 may be hard to find at this point so I’d be happy to have even those already built ones lying around. Speaking of the re-released versions, I was still able to find the memorial editions of the hotshot (also it’s 25th year commemorative version) hornet, and fox (except the boomerang). So, if you happen to know anyone sir who may have any of those released in 1986 however, please let me know. For some this may be funny to hear, but...to me it’s as important as any dream one would have in life. Again, thank you so much sir for being tbe first one to care and reply. I sincerely appreciate it.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:19 AM, Mokei Kagaku said:

Standard versions AND Colour Specials series I, initial production, manufactured in Japan:

290x

Standard versions  later production, manufactured in Japan and the Philippines:

1800x

2006 re-release, manufactured in the Philippines:

18002 The Hornet Jr.*

*identical to original 18002 except for Copyright year on the box lid

2007 re-release, manufactured in the Philippines:

94596 Hot Shot Jr. (Mini 4WD 25 Years Anniversary)**

**identical to 18001 except for item number, Copyright year and "25th Anniversary" logo on the box lid

Hello @Mokei Kagaku is there a way to tell the 290x and 1800x apart except for a number on the box.

I found one possibilty that is cars with grey/silver rims are the very early 290x and later rims are white.
here is also the mention of 290x series cars with transparent chassis plastic?
I am i correct that both the 290x and 1800x cars dont have any markings like number, date or tamiya in either chassis or shell?

Next do the rerelease 18002 hornet and 94596 hot shot have any markings to keep them apart from the early versions?

EKCAl4eZ8cSFXSqDZPXXJhd20hXLmOQX6tJK7DYxBd13IjbeSt7FJzrlRxfeUgHLDYp--bzJcfCc7l_Er6OYjy2nHrhH5as1NAX2XPbsMooSlLKxkvO60gCt0z7ZuFKkQ6E2IqoPRv5wbzxLFgcb-CYf_J3wto6TmESTSGdq7lsfV_gWUeEYZQ22j7OMjUErecfUrdQV1ggcB4BMgXsN2ajP52ckvVGFDcrLerE1TcOKV8HVx3dD_2zpeZ69CN5wOuiCGQYqVbQ66DxChHy9NNRRfb6_Yrk6MwEmtGWpJh_eCecG0WDF_VzPInrQoVbHSu0cmNfrynP8CBnYfOGVpFua3FFo2VXBP7HzG2-sdV9cfc-18Mjm50Fhp0qotVWE9S1DOA-AkM3Tn_lzRMbCKUMwOq9RcyX-HmT-ZOnk-boCJ_h2-LNQ6gSuDdtqUPwNwUFTx6IakXAVKipVA-hCckHPUa9AvaW3f9bTCnXQ_WjxQWSZEdEDYMkGD_x4St4V3pPsUx-rK-CwdARja7nOvMF29KB5910Q4JmpRQnE4r8Ia4eIRx5fQlHBFYOfMxjZgU9H0I4h4jQD173l4Hh3y7u6J_zwTeVwhrxiCzQQ3CMA6lb4H5XSHgAbbaPCO2v6UjmStowYmfdZvdhKrOyqMCMVuJ3pC5wM9jHN_Qagz_py24_mELEAzmhcn8Tpjw=w1625-h914-no?authuser=0

I have some complete unbuilt Tamiya 1/32 Mini kits  # 1901, 1902 and 1903 but they are not boxed.  The parts are in zip lock bags. There is the Ford Ranger 4X4 Pickup the Chevy Pickup 4X4 Stepside, and the Toyota 4X4 Pickup.  Do you think there would be any interest in these?  Again, they are complete but no boxes.

12 hours ago, rjj1234 said:

I have some complete unbuilt Tamiya 1/32 Mini kits  # 1901, 1902 and 1903 but they are not boxed.  The parts are in zip lock bags. There is the Ford Ranger 4X4 Pickup the Chevy Pickup 4X4 Stepside, and the Toyota 4X4 Pickup.  Do you think there would be any interest in these?  Again, they are complete but no boxes.

I would love to check these out sir. I am very much interested. Please do send me a message and a photo of these kits. Thanks and always stay safe sir rrj1234.😊

Aries,

Where would I be shipping the kits to?  Does $15.00 each seem fair?  $45.00 total plus shipping.  Let me know what you think.