I was contemplating on what light crawler to get but I always like the CFX. I didn't want a full size 300-313 crawler because I just want something that I can drive side by side with the CC-01 with my daughter. Fortunately, my friend handed me this new (assembled/built and displayed only) CFX. It also comes with a painted body, a rear steel drive shaft, two sets of bead-lock wheels (wide and narrow) and two sets of tires.

wgRNDnrh.jpg

xjr1m1kh.jpg

wjBDkdah.jpg

aC73iOzh.jpg

I plan on upgrading it. So far some parts have already arrived.

OuGqmNhh.jpg

Aluminum dampers 80mm

8sJLXU6h.jpg

YR aluminum suspension links for 242mm

W8Hjc5vh.jpg

guyiKyJh.jpg

Aluminum shock towers

YvsucCnh.jpg

25kg SPT servo

n5u1nTUh.jpg

Aluminum srevo mount with carbon fiber plate (I also used the same for my XV-01)

wUrBCkGh.jpg

Still upgrading the front and rear bumper mounts to aluminum, steel drive shafts, metal steering links, and full ball sealed bearings. Will also install Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a full light kit with extra roof light bar. I don't want to rush the build but the parts and accessories just make me excited.

• Like 8

Really like these, wouls like your thoughts on the build quality.

I've got some of those shocks, they're quite leaky :( also have issued with the spring retainer between the top and bottom springs 'binding on the lower part of the damper cylinder. They're ok for the money but not a patch on boggo Tamiya CVAs...

3 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

Really like these, wouls like your thoughts on the build quality.

I've got some of those shocks, they're quite leaky :( also have issued with the spring retainer between the top and bottom springs 'binding on the lower part of the damper cylinder. They're ok for the money but not a patch on boggo Tamiya CVAs...

Got the same brand of shocks?

I guess I'll have to experiment on how to fix that issue. But I also ordered another set of 70mm shocks to see which one will perform better. I just plan on changing the shaft end to extend it to 80mm.

I still think this is a better alternative to the CC-02... Great score!! I am going to have one at some point.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Carmine A said:

I still think this is a better alternative to the CC-02... Great score!! I am going to have one at some point.

Definitely a better choice than the CC-02 in terms of money value and build too. Tamiya makes our wallets bleed. :lol:

• Thanks 1

New parts came in today. 

nni9mF6.jpg

Still deciding whether to go full bearings on this kit or not. I'm concerned about the bearing if or when they get wet during trailing. :unsure:

Although the CC-01 is full balled. ;)

• Like 2

Definitely full balled!! And unless you plan to go longer, MST Shocks are top notch! Their Driveshafts, even the upgrade ones, are questionable....

So far here's what I have done today...

Replaced the center drive shafts with steel

zneUFybh.jpg

Replaced plastic suspension links with YR aluminum for 242mm (50mm lower, 40mm upper)

u3P4f9Ch.jpg

tnjCuNth.jpg

beaJycph.jpg

New 80mm shocks. This is actually a generic shocks for 1:14 scale buggy. The length is exact and the springs are perfect. I just replaced the piston with YR 3-holes and the YR o-rings too. 

RdvdPeBh.jpg

Replaced the plastic shock mounts with aluminum

ME28x8vh.jpg

9QQLwHkh.jpg

Replaced servo mounts to aluminum

hQMiM7gh.jpg

Fully balled (rubber sealed bearings to follow)

sTgNPlqh.jpg

Here she is currently...

EIgLI5lh.jpg

u9ITg1xh.jpg

T8opzDEh.jpg

dTNc9M8h.jpg

Together with the CC-01 CT

7dNVEleh.jpg

7PxLuTeh.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carmine A said:

I'd say that what you've done today, is be DONE! Looks SWEET!!

Thank you bro! :)

• Like 1

While waiting for the HW 180 ESC and AFRC-RXS482 receiver, I installed a CF  battery tray and re-arranged the layout making it longitudinal. I also cut and fitted side trays for the electronics. Installed an RX box and wrapped the servo wires with braided sleeve.

exrAV4ph.jpg

dGjVyqkh.jpg

f7mFUJNh.jpg

npJ7kXhh.jpg

gtD6o1Vh.jpg

HensqtAh.jpg

Py1m4Eih.jpg

Jr7hu9Eh.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Landfreeder Body is absolutely BEGGING for one of those Chassis!! 😁  Is the CF Battery Tray much lighter than the Stock one?

4 hours ago, Carmine A said:

My Landfreeder Body is absolutely BEGGING for one of those Chassis!! 😁  Is the CF Battery Tray much lighter than the Stock one?

Yes it's very light but I didn't remove the stock metal battery plate. That's where I I installed the carbon fiber battery tray.

• Thanks 1

What receiver box is that?  I've been looking for a really simple generic looking one, and that fits the bill.

4 hours ago, schlabinski said:

What receiver box is that?  I've been looking for a really simple generic looking one, and that fits the bill.

It's a Tamiya receiver box. I just covered the engraved label. There are a lot of nicer generic boxes too online.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nicadraus said:

It's a Tamiya receiver box. I just covered the engraved label. There are a lot of nicer generic boxes too online.

Is that the TT-02 Reciever Box? Looks familiar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Carmine A said:

Is that the TT-02 Reciever Box? Looks familiar.

Yes it is. :)

• Like 1

Excellent, thank you.  I thought it had that familiar Tamiya plastic shine, but was thrown off by the absence of the label.  Nice work!

• Like 2

These arrived today...

uGHKkA1h.jpg

SQEXfoWh.jpg

dz8NTjVh.jpg

FBTGoyGh.jpg

OGxrM1xh.jpg

This roof rack is just beautiful!

rlO2SpZh.jpg

Installed the light bar

ZXIVjy0h.jpg

DDOzPkWh.jpg

xVWsH5Mh.jpg

znLHpLMh.jpg

• Like 4

QUITE an impressive bit of Kit! 👍👍 You've probably got the most impressive Brushed ESC on the Market right now as well!!! 

Really nice Roof Rack, but you've really got me jonesing for a MST CFX Chassis or three!! 😊  Maybe someday.

• Like 1

Side trays and 3D printed fenders arrived this morning. Installed them right away as soon as I got back home. Too much excitement. Haha!

uNFKsWfh.jpg

qhCm0Tqh.jpg

Tl1RaiHh.jpg

yq17upKh.jpg

ukhYt2hh.jpg

5tduZOKh.jpg

FTHTBjjh.jpg

• Like 2

ha Ha!! Nice! 😊💯 To me, inner Wheelwells are a must, along with an even simple Interior. Those are nicely done.

• Like 1

Installed the electronics today and she's finally a runner.

Shortened the motor and battery wires, installed braided sleeves and bullet connectors. 

Ee76NYhh.jpg

Soldered female bullet to the motor

I8VISoLh.jpg

This AFRC Sanwa compatible receiver works great!

5ue3LkBh.jpg

Testing...

ulEuI0Th.jpg

rGszDxhh.jpg

Love how this little beauty turned out. But still waiting for few more parts. Steel center drive shaft, aluminum steering links, steel pivot balls for suspension links, aluminum center skid plate, etc

• Like 2