Can hardly wait!! .... One of these days, I might post my 3 Axial Comp Rigs. 😉 Most People here have no idea that I've done Crawler Competitions for almost 12 years.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2020 at 2:50 AM, Carmine A said:

Can hardly wait!! .... One of these days, I might post my 3 Axial Comp Rigs. 😉 Most People here have no idea that I've done Crawler Competitions for almost 12 years.

Please share us. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nicadraus nice work! And all those cool custom stuff and parts :) make me drool. 

You probably answered this somewhere in this thread, what did you think about the quality of the MST kit? How are the plastics, assembly design, and build quality? Let say compared to a Tamiya equivalent kit? I've been eyeing the brand. Thanks.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

@Nicadraus nice work! And all those cool custom stuff and parts :) make me drool. 

You probably answered this somewhere in this thread, what did you think about the quality of the MST kit? How are the plastics, assembly design, and build quality? Let say compared to a Tamiya equivalent kit? I've been eyeing the brand. Thanks.

Well, quick answer: MST CFX/CMX> Tamiya CC-01/02

Plastic parts of MST look and feel sturdy. Although the suspension links are flexy but they are tougher than they look. The gearbox and differential casing are also made of plastic but very well designed. The CFX uses planetary gears. This is very good especially for crawling steep angles and won't require drag-brake settings on the ESC anymore. So even if you're using an ESC without drag-brake, the gearbox will take take care of that issue.

My friend has the CC-02 which I compared the CFX with. The CFX is less complicated in building and is a straight to the point, no BS crawler. The CC-02, is over engineered with many unnecessary parts. MST is also equipped with full metal gears and some bearings included, although I full-balled mine already.

I'm a person who never satisfies having stock kits and likes to upgrade. I enjoy re-building and making improvements especially important parts that needs to be changed like suspension links, drive shafts, shock mounts, dampers, bumpers, etc. Some people may enjoy them as out-of-the-box kit on the go. But I want mine to be ready for anything and won't have to worry about somethings breaking or snapping when these crawlers are pushed close to the limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

To weigh in on the quality of the MST kits, I think they're very good.  I have one CFX that I built completely stock (with a Blackfoot body of course :) ) and it has seen about 20-25 hours of trail time with not a single issue.  Yes, the entire kit is plastic, but the plastics are nice and durable.  They also make the truck very light so I'm running heavier aluminum 1.55 wheels to help out with that.  I also have a set of the CMX/CFX axles under an SCX10 chassis with a lot of aluminum parts and not one issue.  A lot of trail time on them as well and they've held up great even on a heavier rig.  I have suggested the CMX/CFX to a lot of people that are looking for a smaller 1.55 tire trail rig and not one has been disappointed.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm very impressed with how this kit turned out and perform. It surely did what most of its bigger friends (TRX4 Sport, SCX10) did and climbing steep, wet grassy areas was a breeze. I had planned of building a 313 crawler but I think I will enjoy this first. The trailing and light crawling most especially is what we really enjoy.

5O7TPOQh.jpg

ks47hHlh.jpg

GlyyCXwh.jpg

VkHowDUh.jpg

fMPkz8Ih.jpg

H4FVBjxh.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like a good time, glad the MST held its own.  I also enjoy light trailing and our days always start out like that, but I can never end up resisting a run in the mud...would be nice to keep a truck clean once in a while :)  

• Like 2

On 12/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, Mechanic AH said:

Thanks both for the feedback. Sounds promising. I think it will be a choice between an MST or Traxxas TRX-4.

That's definitely both ends of the wide Crawler spectrum!! 😲😉 

I haven't been able to afford either - YET. But personally identifiable go for the MST first. Mainly because I I've got CC01s that I'm sick of pouring wasted money into, but love the Bodies! 😁 

If you go down the Traxxas Rabbit hole, MOST People in the Crawler Community - who actually go find tricky bits...  Always prefer the TRX-4 Sport. Lighter, far less complicated. 

Of course it will be Yours. If you fancy gizmos... Go NUTZ with the full TRX-4! 😉

Upgraded the shocks. Been wanting this set of KYX for quite sometime now. It's been in my cart but never purchased it. Until I saw it in another online shop at half the price ($28 for 2 pairs) and bought it right away. Rebuilt them and added oil. Works great! Spring rate and rebound is really nice and smooth.

zjdmA6Oh.jpg

EN7T1amh.jpg

amZ5Xsih.jpg

2duNdDTh.jpg

Rww0XYdh.jpg

rO3PhHph.jpg

• Like 1

Finally an axle guard!

It is inevitable that the diff housing will get scratches and scrapes. So guard is very important. This is also the last mod pieces of this rig for the under chassis (I think). Now it's ready for this weekend's trailing and crawling.

AvorU9ch.jpg

82iVbA8h.jpg

G9kOA6Ih.jpg

wgLVMoNh.jpg

tHkNNBph.jpg

s6B3Khdh.jpg

• Like 1

It's been a while since I updated this thread.

- Installed servo guard skid plate

- aluminum shock tower extension for 90/100mm shocks.

ggi7rbHh.jpg

vU1YAZWh.jpg

The suspension works like a charm. Very accurate and body roll is great.

A9AXUUlh.jpg

mkgpet5h.jpg

QDl8359h.jpg

iC4aqOWh.jpg

b2Krs5oh.jpg

6w6gcKIh.jpg

Parts list update (03-19-22):

• Yeah Racing (YR) aluminum thread pipe (40mm - upper) (50mm lower) suspension links
  • GRC aluminum shock towers ( 2 sets)
  • GRC stainless steel sliders
  • GRC 3D printed mud guards
  • GRC center skid plate guard
  • TP axle steel plate guards
  • MST steel drive shaft
  • Xtraspeed aluminum center skid plate
  • Aluminum servo mount
  • Steel drive center shafts (front & rear) 65-80mm
  • Aluminum bumper mount (for SCX10), retrofitted
  • Carbon fiber with aluminum rails battery plate
  • KYX 900mm aluminum dampers
  • Aluminum shcok tower extension for 90/100mm dampers
  • Aluminum servo horn
  • Aluminum servo guard skid plate
  • full ball bearings
  • Sammix Stainless steel flange balls (5.8mm)
  • Metal bead lock wheels - 3 sets
  • Aluminum front bumper (custom fit)
  • Power coated steel rear bumper (custom fit)
  • Aluminum steering rod
  • Magnetic body mounts (custom fit)
  • Aluminum RX box

Electronics:

• Hobbywing Quicrun 1080
  • SPT 5425LV (25kg) servo
  • AFRC RXS2482 receiver
  • Austar 55t brushed modified motor
  • Full lighting kits
  • two light switches
  • Like 2

Got a new Jimny JB74 body for my MST CFX. Adjusted the wheelbase and used magnet mounts. Fits perfectly!

Installed the lights. The angel's eyes are amazing.

vYPfX1Yh.jpg

TRMCNO8h.jpg

xuBJdVwh.jpg

oYbvdAIh.jpg

QtD644Uh.jpg

sWfYbyrh.jpg

Also modifed the tail lamp and added a rearfog lamp.

7T6mgTdh.jpg

kfZ0PyEh.jpg

5u1e4CAh.jpg

• Thanks 1

PEsRjfMh.jpg

gL4pir0h.jpg

Will still add a roof rack and some accessories to put on top.

• Like 2

That REALLY looks good 👌  Perfect fit, and I love the accessories. But then, from the start you've done awesome things with this Rig!! 👍👍😎 

The Shock Extensions and 90mm Shocks was an EXCELLENT idea! None of these smaller Frames have much UP travel, limited by 60/70mm Dampers... You've sorted that nicely! 

I may try that on the CC-02 I'll be building soon....

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 10:39 AM, Carmine A said:

That REALLY looks good 👌  Perfect fit, and I love the accessories. But then, from the start you've done awesome things with this Rig!! 👍👍😎 

The Shock Extensions and 90mm Shocks was an EXCELLENT idea! None of these smaller Frames have much UP travel, limited by 60/70mm Dampers... You've sorted that nicely! 

I may try that on the CC-02 I'll be building soon....

Thanks! ;)

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SupraChrgd82 said:

Are there any overdrive gears or other mods to improve steering radius for the CFX chassis? 

I haven't checked on that yet but if there's none, I think it can be customized using aftermarket parts. As of now, I'm ok with the stock radius as I only use this rig for not-so-heavy crawling and mostly trailing. ;)

I'm avoiding rock crawling as it destroys/ruins the rigs. :(

• Like 1

It's probably possible to fit SCX10 One Axles, which overdrive AND underdrive Gears are very available!

23 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

It's probably possible to fit SCX10 One Axles, which overdrive AND underdrive Gears are very available!

Nice thing about crawlers is mostly have interchangeable parts. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Carmine A said:

SCX10 axles would work, but they are much wider than the MST axles.  I've used the MST axles in a few builds specifically because they were so narrow.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

SCX10 axles would work, but they are much wider than the MST axles.  I've used the MST axles in a few builds specifically because they were so narrow.  

They would be wider.... not as wide as SCX10 II Axles but definitely wider. If someone had limited resources, maybe negative offset Wheels could narrow the Track 

• Like 1

Here's a documented build video of this rig from stock to modified.