Pilotguy604

First brushless for returning RCer and XV-01

Hey guys. Getting back into the hobby after many (30) years. Sorry for the N00B question, please be gentle.

Got my XV-01 all built up and it's fun with the stock silver can but now I'm looking to upgrade my motor to a brushless system to unlock a bit more of what this thing is capable of.

Uses:

• XV-01 chassis for now, but as this is my first brushless I want to be able to swap with potential future cars (looking at a touring car build next)
  • bashing the XV--01 on tarmac and mixed surfaces (short grass, gravel, etc.)
  • Potentially trying out the novice class racing locally, with the potential to move up in classes. Currently the local club runs these rules for electric on-road. I know the XV-01 isn't truly meant as a touring car but I thought I'd give it a go in the novice class just for fun:
    • Class Rules:
      Minimum 5 cars for the class to run that day.
      No other classes to be run unless scheduled.
      Motors and ESC to be ROAR Approved.

Novice: New and Young Racers, Come have fun! Scale Spec recommended, but full spec not required. Silvercans, kit spec OK.
      Scale Spec: 21.5 Blinky 1380g, FWD cars 1200g
      F1: 21.5 Blinky 1050g
      TC Stock: 17.5 Blinky 1350g
      TC Mod: Open Motor and ESC 1350g

I'm looking at maybe a touring car next for novice+ racing at the local track so it would be nice to have a system that I can "grow into" as it were.

I see that Hobbywing has a pretty good sale going on right now if you buy direct. I have been looking at these combo sets:

a: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/quicrun-10bl60-sensored-esc-combo?variant=31170855889

I like this one in that it seems like it's more versatile, with being able to adjust the timing etc.

b: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/xr10-justock-esc-g2-1-combo?variant=14796877398131

not sure the advantages of this one? Seems like it's less customizable for playing around with settings while bashing etc.

c: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/combo-special/products/ezrun-max10-combo?variant=27757683857

Don't know much about this one other than it looks like the performance specs are listed in kV instead of turns.

---

For motor I was thinking 17.5T or 21.5T (with tuning options) as primarily this will be for fun bashing with the XV-01

As it stands I'm leaning most toward option (a) above (the Quicrun combo) in a 17.5T variant. I'd also pick up the programming card (and for that do I really need the advanced firmware upgradable one (thinking future-proofing for a future ESC), or just the plain LCD one for 1/3 the $$?)

Thoughts?

Thank you for indulging this n00bz question.

Option c is sensorless so I would avoid it. Option b is their budget racer combo and while they work great as a budget blinky ESC, you're right about the limited tuning options.

Option a will be a great combo for bashing and also the club racing in the novice class. I dont think that ESC is ROAR Approved (could be wrong) but that won't be a problem for novice. It will be a lot more fun in a basher with the timing options.

I race 21.5T blinky and its plenty fast, but it needs to be geared properly. I have no idea about gearing in an XV01 (but if its like the FF04 then its hard to get a low enough FDR for a 21.5T motor as the IR is 2.6) so consider what is achievable there. For bashing a 13.5T is probably the sweet spot, and you could still run novice class with that. The biggest thing about brushless in blinky mode is the gearing, they have so much torque that you need a far smaller spur/bigger pinion than you first think.

I would buy that combo that you liked in 13.5T and plan on a new combo for your touring car. For that one i would get the HW Justock and a different brand motor, like the Surpass Rocket V4S in 17.5T to meet class rules. That combo will keep up with anything at the club. And get a touring car like a TB05 or TA07 where its easy to change spurs and pinions,  rather than a TT02.