Sign in to follow this  
D^Astute

Striker and Astute Builds

Hey All,

First time poster and new to the forums. I'm looking for some guidance as I attempt to rebuild two old Tamiya's, my old Striker and my late uncle's never-completed/never-driven Astute.  I'm finding it hard to source parts through eBay and some general web searches--turning up short or things are surprisingly expensive.  I'm curious what my options are and whether that's just the market for these things.  I'd like to get original parts if possible, particularly for the Astute, given it was never even completed.  Really appreciate any help. 

Here is what I'm lacking:

Striker:
1. Body
2. Decals
3. Crossbar that the resistor sits on (part A5) -- I may just need to buy the full 'A' parts tree
4. Rear tires -- I have the rims but with foam/street tires on them

Astute:
1. One Front Upright
2. Body
3. Undercowl
4. Front damper mount (part 'BF8') - looks like a little cylinder but with two different sized ends that goes in top of front damper
5. Hardware/Mixed screws and nuts: (1) BA3 screw (3x25mm), (1) BA4 screw (3x20mm), (1) BD5 nuts (3mm locknut), (3) BD6 nuts (3mm flange)

For the Astute hardware, I'm assuming I can just use regular screws and nuts from a hardware store but, at the risk of sounding overly particular, I'd like it to match the existing screws and nuts already installed.  Also, from what I've read it looks like my best options on the body and undercowl may be the same parts from the super astute.  Wanted to confirm they are identical.

Appreciate y'all and any thoughts you can share!  

Dave

Hey Dave - welcome to the forum! :) 

I'm afraid I can't help on the Striker much, but I know there are some guys on here that know them backwards so I'm sure they'll help you out soon.

I can tell you though, that for repro decals to try MCI-Racing.ca 

The rear tyres are (I believe) the same as those used on the Wild One, Falcon and Grasshopper 2 and Thundershot/Terra Scorcher. The part number is 50344. If you search ebay for these you'll find some.

With the Astute, the front uprights are the same as the Super Astute parts - 19334199. Alternatively there are some alloy replacements by Jazrider on ebay.

The body and undercowl are identical to the Super Astute. Again, if you need decals, try MCI-Racing.

The damper mount is again, the same as the Super Astute, part number 19804987.

For the hardware you could buy some Super Astute screw bags which will be pretty much right. The only change between the older kits and the new ones is the new ones don't have the lovely yellow zinc plating. Agasin, if you are prepared to wait you may well find some on ebay (of course, it doesn't have to be an Astute set, as long as it has the ones in it you want)

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask more questions.

Don't forget to post up your rebuilds!! ;) 

Took a bit of work but I was able to find just about all of the parts I needed on eBay for my Striker and Astute (and also my Hornet).  

Follow up question on my Striker.  The one part that I can't seem to locate is a Striker body (including driver head).  I get they've been out of production forever.  I see one on eBay from Japan for like $170.  Any other 'more accessible' options?  Would be nice to complete all three cars. 

Appreciate your help.  Thanks.