burakol

TBLE02s LiPO mod success stories?

Hello, 

I just wanted to know how many members were able to successfully mod their TBLE02S using the tutorials posted by LaneboysRC and how was your overall experience with it. I tried to do it once but I did not have a proper soldering iron with a fine tip so I backed out... Now that my I have a few more RCs, with the same ESC, I do not want to spend more $$$ to get a different ESC with a LVC since I've started using LiPO... the mod really looks straight forward... scratch off the protective covering on the PCB and just need to solder the resistor between two points and it should be done... I am thinking of using a 22kohm resistor so the LVC will kick in at 6.3v... 

• Like 1

I became impatient and put my soldering skills to the test... I needed to fiddle my soldering iron's tip to make it more pointed and skinny... I just ordered some resistors and it should be here next week... I figured I'll try and prep one ESC and hopefully i am successful... 

I took my time and really tried not to botch it... I think I was able to do a clean solder on the trickier part of the job... putting the resistor on the ground point should be a lot easier... 

20200910_164041.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t know this mod, all I’ve ever done is chop the Tamiya plug off and solder a Deans or XT60 plug on to use with LiPo’s and has been fine. I used to use an alarm too, but you kinda get the feel for it after a few runs. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I don’t know this mod, all I’ve ever done is chop the Tamiya plug off and solder a Deans or XT60 plug on to use with LiPo’s and has been fine. I used to use an alarm too, but you kinda get the feel for it after a few runs. 

Take a look at this. I know at least one member who did the mod successfully. 

http://laneboysrc.blogspot.com/2015/08/tamiya-tble-02s-mod-for-lipo-cut-off.html?m=1

• Thanks 1

Looking at the picture is the added wire touching both concact area`s next to the 2 small componants? I thought the wire should only touch the lower area in the picture?

3 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

Looking at the picture is the added wire touching both concact area`s next to the 2 small componants? I thought the wire should only touch the lower area in the picture?

It shouldn't be.... I had to triple check that part and I'm 99% sure there is nothing touching the other components. It looks like it is since the added wire is above... I will double check it again when I install the resistor. 

2 hours ago, Howards said:

Seems like a massive ball-ache for an issue that can be solved with a lipo alarm from eBay. 

It could be... but the problem I see with a lipo alarm is that the balance leads are short and some chassis does not offer enough space to secure the alarm... unless ofcourse you use a wire extension... doing the mod may give a more accurate cutoff... I am currently using an alarm for 3 of my RCs and I just find it annoying and awkward that I have to plug/unplug and reposition the voltage alarm each time I want to run the car... hopefully if I am successful with the mod, I wont have to deal with it... plus this is actually more cost effective than buying a new ESC... 

I must admit I went the easy route and got a "small" lipo alarm. Not that small when put into the car and bnot really clean looking. I have 3 of the ESC`s not being used ,keep buying HW1060. I am going to try this mod and use them ,if all works ok.

3 hours ago, Gazzalene said:

I must admit I went the easy route and got a "small" lipo alarm. Not that small when put into the car and bnot really clean looking. I have 3 of the ESC`s not being used ,keep buying HW1060. I am going to try this mod and use them ,if all works ok.

Just take it slow and make sure your soldering iron's tip is hot and clean... once you take the conformal coating off the pcb the melted lead should easily stick to it... it could have been a lot easier if I had a thinner gauge wire to use but I had none laying around... 

Hello burakol and all,

I did the mod like laneboys described and it works and was doable. I think it's worth it if you already have a suitable soldering iron as the rest is very inexpensive and the mod does no harm.

I used 0.4mm coated copperwire and a smd soldering iron. Also a little flux before soldering. A 27k resistor gave exactly 6.6v cutoff. Tested with a 2s lipo and a 2s2p li-ion battery made of 18650 cells.

20200915_211334.jpg

15 hours ago, Parodius4 said:

Hello burakol and all,

I did the mod like laneboys described and it works and was doable. I think it's worth it if you already have a suitable soldering iron as the rest is very inexpensive and the mod does no harm.

I used 0.4mm coated copperwire and a smd soldering iron. Also a little flux before soldering. A 27k resistor gave exactly 6.6v cutoff. Tested with a 2s lipo and a 2s2p li-ion battery made of 18650 cells.

20200915_211334.jpg

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting for my 22kohm resistor to come in. Hopefully it will be a success on my part... I have about 5 esc to mod if I am successful on the first one.. I'm sure having a good soldering iron will make a huge difference. 

Little update... 

I performed the mod on 3 TBLE02s ESCs... 

As I tested all three, I am bummed that only 1 out of the three worked... I quadrupled check that the LVC on the ESC is enabled but the other two is still not cutting off at the intended voltage of 6.6V. 

I am using a Radiolink RC6 with the R7FG RX with the built in telemetry feature so I was able to see the actual voltage as it runs... There is no visible shorts or any wires touching any other part... The only reason I can think of is maybe I am burning the resistor with my soldering iron? I am using a cheapo soldering iron and I wonder if that is causing the resistor to burn if that is even a possibility... 

On hindsight, at least all three ESCs still functions and I did not brick any of them... 

On 9/16/2020 at 2:27 AM, Parodius4 said:

Hello burakol and all,

20200915_211334.jpg

On 9/19/2020 at 1:38 AM, burakol said:

I am burning the resistor with my soldering iron?

Got a multi-meter? You can check the resistor. 

I might have shorted it to the exposed test pad... I have to check it again... this time I ordered a proper solder iron and some helping hand station to aid me... 

SUCCESS!!! all three modded ESCs are now working based on the modification by Werner of Laneboysrc. I did short out one solder point to the power rail supplying the microcontroller located in point C9 on the PCB, thus the initial mid I did was a failure... 

I did use a 22kohm and resistor and my LVC is now set to 6.6v. 3 down, 3 more to go... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Howards said:

Speedy delivery of that iron and helping hand station then! 

Most definitely... Amazon 1day is quite essential for certain things... especially when it involves stuff for the hobby... hehe... 

Small investment that should pay bigger dividends... I know a handful of people prefers to ditch the stock TBLE02s ESC, but I really think it is a good one to be used for casual bashing... having both brush and brushless sensored in itself presents a lot of advantages... more so now that it has a proper LVC for LiPo, it makes it even better... 

• Like 1