novaris

which aftermarket shocks for tc-01?

I've seen 3 different types of dampers used or suggested by various youtubers, trf short damper, trf special damper and  TRF Super Short Big Bore Dampers

All three will fit dependent on the amount of fiddling you want to, but the 42102 Special Damper are a direct fit replacement, as they are 55mm long like the CVAs in the kit. Just use the long rod from the kit dampers. 

• Like 2

If you want gold shafts you need to get the shafts out of the buggy aeration dampers, either type will work. They mostly went out if stock long before the tc01 came out, people where obviously stocking up pre release. 

im surprised Tamiya has not yet released a big bore damper set with the long gold shafts for tc01. Although they released the alloy adapters separately already. 

• Like 1

Yeah Racing Qutus 55mm

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-qutus-slider-55mm-damper-set-for-1-10-rc-drift-car-blue-dbb-1055bu-00082907

or Shock Gear 55mm

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-shock-gear-55mm-damper-set-for-1-10-rc-touring-car-blue-dsg-0055bu-00036299

You can't go wrong with YR dampers. Very good value for the money and performance. They also have bog bore sets.

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

All three will fit dependent on the amount of fiddling you want to, but the 42102 Special Damper are a direct fit replacement, as they are 55mm long like the CVAs in the kit. Just use the long rod from the kit dampers. 

I would also recommend this route: When you anyway have such a long piston rod, the damper housing doesn´t need to be super short. Any mm longer will improve sideloads for the piston and the guiding. This will result in smoother action and less tilting of the shock by bending moments coming from the ball studs under load.

Very technical description, hope you get the intention, it´s the basic rule of any shock absorber.;)

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Juls1 said:

If you want gold shafts you need to get the shafts out of the buggy aeration dampers, either type will work. They mostly went out if stock long before the tc01 came out, people where obviously stocking up pre release. 

im surprised Tamiya has not yet released a big bore damper set with the long gold shafts for tc01. Although they released the alloy adapters separately already. 

hi

i bought a set of titanium coated shafts 54043.

the grooves seem to be slightly taller/thicker than the stock ones and overall length is a bit shorter?

_20200917_235021.thumb.JPG.ee213987bb2c47d379c2f5abdd121908.JPG

7 hours ago, novaris said:

hi

i bought a set of titanium coated shafts 54043.

the grooves seem to be slightly taller/thicker than the stock ones and overall length is a bit shorter?

_20200917_235021.thumb.JPG.ee213987bb2c47d379c2f5abdd121908.JPG

Those Gold shafts are ment to have a larger piston, which is slight thicker, So you’ll want a 3mm shim kit to remove any backlash. 

as for the length, I don’t think that 1mm will make much difference, you can easily make up the difference with the eyelet end. 

If I’m not mistaken you’ve got the shafts from big bore aeration dampers (54505) which use 12mm pistons, instead of the shafts from the regular aeration dampers (54028) Which use a 10mm piston the same as the touring shocks. 

you’ve got 2 options, either persist with those ones and get some shims, or try track down the other shafts. 

personally I’d just go with option 1 since you’ve already got them.

again I don’t understand why Tamiya don’t release a specific part, or for that matter release an actual damper kit. 

Juls

8 hours ago, Juls1 said:

Those Gold shafts are ment to have a larger piston, which is slight thicker, So you’ll want a 3mm shim kit to remove any backlash. 

as for the length, I don’t think that 1mm will make much difference, you can easily make up the difference with the eyelet end. 

If I’m not mistaken you’ve got the shafts from big bore aeration dampers (54505) which use 12mm pistons, instead of the shafts from the regular aeration dampers (54028) Which use a 10mm piston the same as the touring shocks. 

you’ve got 2 options, either persist with those ones and get some shims, or try track down the other shafts. 

personally I’d just go with option 1 since you’ve already got them.

again I don’t understand why Tamiya don’t release a specific part, or for that matter release an actual damper kit. 

Juls

No. part number 54043

19 hours ago, novaris said:

No. part number 54043

As I said, you’ve bought the damper shafts out of 54505 big bore aeration damper set instead of getting the shafts included in 54028 Regular aeration damper set, which “Might“ be more suitable.  I can’t find a parts list online otherwise I’d provide you with the other part number assuming Tamiya sells that part separate. I’ll keep looking though.  

ultimately though what you’ve got is as far I can tell from the hopup video Tamiya posted on YouTube is the part they recommend. I can’t see a part number, but they say hop up shaft for TRF501x, which is the 54043 so who knows. 

what’s interesting is they then put them in the regular bodys, so why the shaft included in the narrow body shocks is different I don’t know