Your Collection

Hello All, 

I know this has come up before. But I am at roughly the end of halfing my collection. I have sold a lot of cars and have to admit it is a weight of my mind. Some how, over many years the collection expanded to a point I didn't know what I had. Whilst the initial thought of losing stuff was hard to take, I don't miss a single one of the cars I have sold. 

Hairy

Edit: some are still on ebay. 

Never been at this point. I know exactly what cars / RC stuff I have as I can see all of them on the shelf. Currently I have nine cars from Tamiya, MST and Kyosho. 

• Like 2

I clearly also have some considerable way to go with my fleet! I can remember each car, each hop-up installed on each car, what motor it has fitted, etc.

I will just have to build more! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Hello All, 

I know this has come up before. But I am at roughly the end of halfing my collection. I have sold a lot of cars and have to admit it is a weight of my mind. Some how, over many years the collection expanded to a point I didn't know what I had. Whilst the initial thought of losing stuff was hard to take, I don't miss a single one of the cars I have sold. 

Hairy

Edit: some are still on ebay. 

1 hour ago, Aerobert said:

Never been at this point. I know exactly what cars / RC stuff I have as I can see all of them on the shelf. Currently I have nine cars from Tamiya, MST and Kyosho. 

57 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

I clearly also have some considerable way to go with my fleet! I can remember each car, each hop-up installed on each car, what motor it has fitted, etc.

I will just have to build more! 😀

All quality over quantity, the best way 👍

You enjoy what you have more when you have less I reckon. 

I’m smashed back the volume a few years back and miss 1 or 2 the kids had, but other than that it’s more manageable and more fun now. 

• Like 3

I haven't quite reached this point. The location of everything is still pretty much in my head. I have a ton of stuff (too much really) and need to trim it down. Sometimes I regret selling things as I find a use for them a couple years down the road. Other times, cars leave and I never miss them. My Shark Mouth FAV and Blizzard are gone but I never think about them. On the other hand, I wish I kept the Wrangler body that left with the CR01 I had but I had a really hard time selling that chassis (virtually nobody local buys Tamiya).

Tamiya can be like Lego for me at times. Its nice to have this pile of stuff akin to having a lot of Lego bricks. I can tinker with a good bit of stuff without buying anything. On the other hand, if a car sits unused for a couple years and has no emotional attachment, its time to let it go for the space it frees up alone.

• Like 1

Not much of a collection to remember at the moment. Basically the 4 4x4's and a Lunchbox and a handful of left over sprue parts. Slowly building back up though and a tractor unit of some description is next on the cards hopefully although may be a while before funds allow. 

Anyway any excuse for a piccy

IMG_20200831_165735.jpg

• Like 3

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I sold a few things recently and the first step/sale was probably the hardest.  There was a lot of second-guessing about whether I'd buy another one of the same in the future.  But, as I sold more and people started receiving their packages, I felt satisfaction in knowing each person was pleased with his purchase.  Several of us had good exchanges over PM, email, and in person.  I'm happy they're happy!

• Like 7

Not quite the collection but I think I am running out of space... and time... here are some of my built and unbuilt cars... 

B519D0A6-EEB6-46A9-BCC8-0BF10A2320D8.jpeg

10A9D8A4-AF5C-43EC-AF15-2B494F1A4027.jpeg

• Like 6

...... I was near that point once. Large Collection. Then something Catastrophic happened to my Family (NOT ALLOWED to talk about it on here)... 

Had to sell 3/4 of my Collection in 2014. Some I don't miss so much. SOME - like my all original Avante (which I got an asinine amount of money for), my Madcap, Hotshot, King Blackfoot, King Cab, and my M03 Mini Cooper.... MISS THEM dearly! 😞 

It's what prompted me recently, to PIECEMEAL Build a M05 Kit, at over 2X its face value. 

To anyone selling just to "thin the Herd"... Just think carefully before making final decisions.

• Like 3

I have a vinyl collection, it ended up in a big disaster when techno went big. Toooo much discs.

Nowadays I prefere to collect one defined sector, not everything, in this case on 4 wheels. I am glad that I am not hooked on anything then my Dynas. :wub:

I have amassed too many Tamiya over the last few years and have run out of room so I have stopped buying new cars.

I'm getting to the point, however, where I am coming round to the idea of letting some stuff go. But as a borderline hoarder, how do I choose which to release? So far, I have only managed to sell a lovely TL-01LA  (regretted it and bought a rubbish one to replace it) and a TT-02 chassis (not replaced). 

On the other hand, as my son gets older he's getting more into the cars  - for his homework theme of co-operation he chose to illustrate it with us fixing cars together - so maybe there is hope that I won't need to slim down too much.

• Like 3

I kinda get it, I’m sitting on roughly 70 cars in total, I’ll admit I have a few duplicates. 

im not really sure what I would sell though. Some are hard to get, expensive, others have sentimental value. Others I’ve spent so much I’d lose more than 3/4 the money (But I guess since I spent so much to begin with money isn’t really the issue..). My initial issue really is managing the display and storage. I recently had to rearrange my rc room to try make more space.

my second issue is having simply too much to do,  I struggle to keep up with maintainence, let alone building new kits. My Achilles heal is really that I’m not that fond of painting bodys, I love building the kits, but doing bodys frustrates me, and I think that’s why I won’t buy anything second hand if the body isn’t box art.  

so letting stuff go, I‘m not at that point yet, but I can see at some point I’ll have to thin it out if I want to keep buying new stuff. 

• Like 2

This is one of the reasons I went through and inventoried everything a few weeks ago. And I found, to my surprise, that there wasn't anything I really wanted to sell - but there are a LOT of things I want to get back to work on that had stalled. I may sell some things in the future, but for now I'm just going to work my way through some projects and see where it all takes me.

What's even stranger is there isn't really anything I want to buy, either. I found a Kyosho Progress for a good price, and that was the second-to-last of my "always wanted one" list. The last piece of the puzzle would be a vintage 3-speed, and I might as well dream of owning a Ferrari, for the prices those things go for. Lots of other things look cool, but I don't really feel any need to spend money on them. I'm happy with my little horde as it is, and now I just want to spend some time enjoying it.

• Like 3

Dt03 Racing Fighter Black Edition

Stadium Thunder

Stadium Thunder 

Manta Ray

Super HotShot

Novafox 

Zahhak

TRF201

Super Levant 

Falcon

Hornet

Desert Gator

• Like 1

I've been thinking about my collection lately (I'll try not to ramble so bear with me).  I'm down to a mere four chassis now too and I'm thinking of selling three of them.  They've all been fun to own, yet if I sell them I can get others.  I've decided I don't have space to put them in storage either.

M07 -  I mentioned in another thread recently that I like it tremendously however I don't really use it at all.

CR01 - Looks amazing sitting on the shelf.  Drives nicely but if I want something more advanced it will become a large and cumbersome display model.

TT02S - Had fun and installed a bunch of blue aluminium but I own it now just for an excuse to buy touring car bodies that I like the look of.

XV01 -  Does everything.  Dirt, asphalt, gravel.  Best car I could've bought, hands down.  I've even been looking at my spare Rock Socker body from the CR01 and thinking I could do a quick conversion to an XV01T this summer.

The big conundrum for me is the body shells.  A chassis you can generally just buy again and the build is a big part of the fun, but a body shell might have a lot of time, money and effort put into it which you cannot get back as easily as a chassis (for the more realistic cars instead of buggies at least).

For example, my WRX NBR shell that I did.  A lot of detail and I put time into getting it right.  It's always sat on the shelf or only very slowly driven around because I couldn't bring myself to scratch it up.  If I get rid of my TT02 chassis, I have a body that I can't really do anything with and yet I'm not sure I can part with it knowing it will only sell for a few dollars and get trashed by whoever buys it.  I tell myself not to be precious about what amounts to a toy car but it's easier said than done.

v42b5z8.jpg

Bodies are too awkward to easily store too.  I have a big 90 litre bin I keep them all in at the moment and it's somewhat ridiculous having about 8 car bodies in a giant bin.  I tell myself to simply sell the ones I don't need and remember they were enjoyable to trim, paint, admire, so it doesn't matter what happens after they're gone.  If I sold the CR01 I'd want to keep my Bronco for a CC02 at some point but I should just sell it too and look forward to painting another body instead.  Wish I hadn't stuck the LED light unit in it with double-sided tape instead of velcro now but I doubt I can remove it without the paint peeling!

I could be happy keeping the XV01 permanently and simply buying another different chassis or two before selling those on for something else each summer.  I'm at the stage of wanting to be more active in the hobby.  It feels like I've just been collecting of late.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hairyjon313 said:

Hello All, 

Hairy

Edit: some are still on ebay

This sounds more like "senile dementia" with a hint of capitalism.....

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Blista said:

.For example, my WRX NBR shell that I did.  A lot of detail and I put time into getting it right.  It's always sat on the shelf or only very slowly driven around because I couldn't bring myself to scratch it up.  

v42b5z8.jpg

I really, really wanted that model but when I saw yours finished I finally knew that it wasn't for me because

1. I couldn't finish it to that standard

2. I wouldn't want to run it and have nowhere to display it.

It became the ultimate pointless Tamiya for me. I still want one though!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is encouraging me to finally do an audit of what I have. Get a list / spreadsheet going.

I had one initially, but over the years it’s got out of date. I tried to use it to track the spend on each car, but I think I made it too complicated for me.

I’ve hit a point now between built and nib cars that I’ve started to run out of space. I have pondered selling some, but so far it’s been a small list :D 

I fall into that Juls1 mentioned, about losing so much money. I’ve a couple of Unimog CW01s for example, that never go anywhere. One is pristine, the other has been bashed. I doubt I’d get much for either, so I don’t try to eBay them. So I don’t thin the herd :D 

I can’t think of anything else to thin, so given I have 70+, that can’t be right. 

And then there’s my experience of the last couple of weekends. I’ve had two drifters on the shelf for at least a couple of years, just gathering dust, so would have been prime to sell. Instead I’ve had a great time with them recently, and they’ve now on the go to list as they suit the areas I can run cars. 

So the answer is I need a bigger house :D, not less cars :D 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

I really, really wanted that model but when I saw yours finished I finally knew that it wasn't for me because

1. I couldn't finish it to that standard

2. I wouldn't want to run it and have nowhere to display it.

It became the ultimate pointless Tamiya for me. I still want one though!!!

Thanks.  I debated buying a second one so I could have one for show and one to drive.  Painting static models might be the smarter long term plan.  :lol:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Blista said:

XV01 -  Does everything.  Dirt, asphalt, gravel.  Best car I could've bought, hands down.  I've even been looking at my spare Rock Socker body from the CR01 and thinking I could do a quick conversion to an XV01T this summer.

I could be happy keeping the XV01 permanently and simply buying another different chassis or two before selling those on for something else each summer.  I'm at the stage of wanting to be more active in the hobby.  It feels like I've just been collecting of late.

Sounds to me like you need to get a XV01 Pro TC for your road bodies, then a XV01T for your truck body, then get another XV01 to build up with a Embie racing carbon chassis and then another .............. and then finally a 6 level 2 metre wide shelf to keep them all on....:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back in 2002 I had roughly 50 Tamiya cars including 10 SRB's, blackfoot, monster beetle, bush devil, avante 2001, vanquish and half a dozen thundershot based cars plus various road and rally cars. We moved to a small cottage and I had nowhere to store or display them so I had to get rid of about 30 of them.

To be honest I had no interest in displaying cars, I preferred to use them and allow my daughters to run them too. In fact in the end I rationalised my buggies down to just the thundershots and avante 2001 chassis types so that I could build up vast stocks of parts for a very limited range of chassis types. I have enough thundershot parts to build about 10 complete new cars and enough drivetrain parts for about 40 gearboxes and suspension units. This was far better than trying to hold stocks of parts for 30+ different chassis. We can now run our vintage buggies pretty much as often and for as long as we want with no fear of breakage confining a buggy to the attic. 

I have no regrets about selling the other cars. I now have just 10 running cars in daily use - 3 thundershots, a DIY built crawler, a heavily modified SRB (my first Tamiya car which I got for xmas in 1982), an avante 2001, a vanquish and a Bush Devil plus my daughters cars. Far less costly to maintain the fleet, especially as they are all used hard and often on a very rough track in our garden.

EDIT: I'm actually just working through another major rationalisation program - putting modelsport alloy hex drives onto all the thundershot and avante 2001 based cars and fitting them with DF03 wheels and schumacher 2.2" tyres (pin spikes and tarmac tyres) along with converting all cars to 2.4Ghz receivers, standardised motors (Reedy 19T's and Tamiya Super Stocks) and ESC's. The idea being that I now only have to hold a stock of one or two different tyre types that can be fitted to all my basher/race buggies and only need a few spare receivers, ESC's and motors to cover all cars. I was getting fed up with having literally dozens of different types of stuff.

• Like 3

There is a lot to be said for having two shells per chassis, one decorated with great care and kept for display, and one decorated to "good enough" standard and used for guilt-free running. I wouldn't run my cars anywhere near as often if I had to worry about keeping the shells looking good enough for the shelf.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:37 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I sold a few things recently and the first step/sale was probably the hardest.  There was a lot of second-guessing about whether I'd buy another one of the same in the future.  But, as I sold more and people started receiving their packages, I felt satisfaction in knowing each person was pleased with his purchase.  Several of us had good exchanges over PM, email, and in person.  I'm happy they're happy!

What the heck is this guy talking about?;)

SMILE JACKASS! An Idea... | Jackass, Animals, Smile

just poking fun at ya Speed it's me the laughing Jack A$$

• Haha 2